It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Truck bomb attack targets US consulate in Afghan city of Herat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Attackers detonated a truck bomb near the front checkpoint gate of the U.S. Consulate on Friday in the city of Herat, a State Department spokeswoman said.
"At approximately 5:30 a.m. the morning of September 13 (local Afghanistan time) an attack by currently unidentified forces commenced at the front vehicle compound access control point of US Consulate Herat," the State Department's Marie Harf said in a statement. "A truck carrying attackers drove to the front gate, and attackers -- possibly firing rocket-propelled grenades and assault rifles -- commenced attacking Afghan Protective forces on the exterior of the gates and contracted security guards. Shortly after, the entire truck exploded, extensively damaging the front gate."

Truck bomb attack targets US consulate in Afghan city of Herat

So the Taliban are attacking Embassies again. I am surprised ATS does not have a thread yet on this. But there is little news on it as of now. This does not seem to be another Benghazi style attack. And it sounds like the afghan forces are the ones who did the fighting.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
RT now has a article on the story.

rt.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Found a photo of the truck used.

imgick.syracuse.com...

Caption from the photo.

A damaged vehicle sits in front of the U.S. consulate after an attack by a car bomb and a gunfight in Herat Province, west of Kabul, Afghanistan, Friday, Sept. 13, 2013. Taliban militants attacked the U.S. consulate in western Afghanistan on Friday morning, using a car bomb and guns to battle security forces just outside the compound in the city of Herat. It was not entirely clear whether any attackers managed to breach the facility. (AP Photo/Hoshang Hashimi)

Article with the photo.

www.syracuse.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Found a video from Reuters.

uk.reuters.com... c=401&videoChannel=75

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
LA Times now have article.

www.latimes.com...

KABUL, Afghanistan — Militants carried out a brazen attack on the U.S. Consulate in the western Afghan city of Herat early Friday, killing two policemen and injuring dozens of other people, including civilians, according to local officials.

No Americans were believed to be among those hurt. The attackers were all reported to have been killed.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack, which started just before sunrise with a suicide car bombing approximately 60 yards from the consulate entrance, followed by gunfire from militants attempting to enter the compound.

The gun battle between militants and security forces lasted about two hours, said Sayed Fazlullah Wahidi, governor of Herat province.

The attackers may have managed to enter the first security ring of the diplomatic compound, but there was no damage to the consulate building, Wahidi said. In a statement it posted on Twitter, the U.S. Embassy in Kabul said that “all Consulate personnel are safe and accounted for.”

So I guess they never really made it past the gate.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
I just don't understand why we don't pull all of our people home and bring home all our resources or destroy them, so they can't be used by the wrong people, and stop throwing our money overseas.

We have so many projects here in America that could use all the money that is being thrown away overseas for no reason other than our government trying to be in charge of everything.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   

...the entire truck exploded, extensively damaging the front gate."

Those super human, all powerful, Moslem terrorists scratched a door...

Those bastards!

Thats gonna cost at-least fifty or sixty bucks.

Anyone else notice they're pretty much harmless unless they're being led by and aided by Al-CIAeda.

Too bad our government wont let us leave. Whats a few thousand American lives compared to owning the Trans-Afghan pipeline, natural gas and lithium reserves?

edit on 13-9-2013 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

Different story if you look beyond the reported incidents.

At least when it comes to people they believe associated with the enemy in any capacity...

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
I'm confused.

Taliban is a Sunni organisation.

Sunni are USA friends and allies in Saudi Arabia, Quatar and Kuwait and USA are funding and arming Sunni Rebels in Syria.

The enemy is Shia, chief among them currently is Assad.

But now US allies, Sunni are attacking US.

Al-Qaeda I think are Sunni, so they are our friends, except when the bombed the towers.

I'm still confused.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:03 AM
link   

bigyin
I'm confused.

I'm still confused.

Lol. That's a nice one

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Actually, there is another thread on this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

...but I don't post to BAN as a personal rule so it's no conflict..besides, no one apparently even noticed I posted that one.

@ topic

It seems we'll be chased right to the border, to the very last hour of the last day. Exactly how the Soviets were dogged to the literal last bridge crossing out of Afghanistan, on the last day of their withdrawal. What a legacy. As if to prove something, we have proven we can fail exactly like Russians do and pretty much for the same reasons too. All that death and loss on both sides...for what? Not one damn thing I can see.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

Ahh yes. Mericka sure won the war on terrorism in Afghanistan, it's apparent by the fact they get attacked by terrorists a few times a week.

new topics

top topics

join