It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you see the big Quran burning yesterday in Florida?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Stopping people from being able to express their opinions should be a crime.

Then express your opinion. There's no need to intentionally offend and act like a savage to do so.

I wonder if somebody started burning bibles if the people defending this man would do the same for the other. Or burning the American Flag for example.

I'm not stating he doesn't have the right to express himself or his opinion, but there are better ways of going about it.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
Then express your opinion. There's no need to intentionally offend and act like a savage to do so.

You call burning a few privately owned books 'savage'.
Sorry ... but I think that's a real stretch on your part.
And there is no reason for people to hold back on their opinions just because
some others might be offended. They still have a right to their opinion.

I wonder if somebody started burning bibles if the people defending this man would do the same for the other.

I already said ... I'd be fine with it. If it's his bible or people donated them to him, then they are his property to do with as he wishes. If he wants to put them all together and burn them ... it's his right.

Or burning the American Flag for example.

Ditto flags being burned. I think it's stupid ... but it's his right to burn his own property if he wants and to make his opinion known.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I'm not stating he doesn't have the right to express himself or his opinion, but there are better ways of going about it.

Like protesting outside of a mosque?

Gotta side with Tenth on this, there are better ways for him to vent his frustration or hatred... Like Croshaying... Or booger collecting... Nothing releases anger like picking a "good" booger...
He can even stick the pages of the Quran together via booger...

Something just happened... I went silly.... My apologies thread...

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

You call burning a few privately owned books 'savage'.

I call burning 3000 religious texts at a 'ceremony' which blames an entire religion for the acts of very few to be savage, yes I do.

It's not a 'few' personal books. He was out to cause a scene, not make a statement.

And there is no reason for people to hold back on their opinions just because
some others might be offended. They still have a right to their opinion.

Let me give you an example.

If I hate my neighbor and yell at him from across the street, that's me expressing my opinion.

If I go to my neighbors house and punch him in the face, that's no longer expressing my opinion, that's me taking an action, that is un-necessary, inflammatory and wrong, in order to put my 'point' across.

This is what this man was doing. I don't think he gives a damn about 911 or it's victims, it was simply an excuse to go out and decry Islam as a religion of hate and violence.

Book burning vs giving a speech, is not the same thing.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Sure, the guy is an idiot. (and he obviously wants a lot of attention) But he has a right to do with his property what he wants. It's his property. He can burn it if he wants. (unless fire laws say otherwise) Calling the PC police down on him because he's an idiot is unconstitutional (and feeds his 'martyr for a cause' syndrome) . Ignoring his antics preserves Americas freedoms AND takes away any 'ooomph' he'd get from burning his books.

There are christian fundamentalists who go around purposely gathering up rosary beads so they can get together and destroy them. It's stupid. But it's their right. I wouldn't stop them.

There are atheists who burn bibles. It's their right. I wouldn't stop them.

There are people who try to stop these freedoms. That's wrong. I will speak up and say so.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
If I go to my neighbors house and punch him in the face, that's no longer expressing my opinion, that's me taking an action, that is un-necessary, inflammatory and wrong, in order to put my 'point' across. This is what this man was doing.

No. If you punch someone in the face, they are physically harmed and they can't ignore you. If someone burns their own property, they harm no one and people can ignore the idiot doing the burning. Totally different.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

We are going to agree to disagree.

It's my personal opinion that burning literature en masse should be illegal, I do understand that it violates people's freedoms to act like idiots.

I feel the same way about making journalist integrity rules law as well. Even though they should have the 'freedom' to lie to me in the press, I don't think they should.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
I love how such hate filled people can claim to be in the eyes of God and act this way.

~Tenth

Islam. Christianity or Judaism?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

FlyersFan

tothetenthpower
If I go to my neighbors house and punch him in the face, that's no longer expressing my opinion, that's me taking an action, that is un-necessary, inflammatory and wrong, in order to put my 'point' across. This is what this man was doing.

No. If you punch someone in the face, they are physically harmed and they can't ignore you. If someone burns their own property, they harm no one and people can ignore the idiot doing the burning. Totally different.

I back you up 100% on this.. (How could any person that enjoys their freedom of expression not??)

The guy is clearly a hate-filled moron, but I gladly defend his right to express his ideas.
edit on 12-9-2013 by defuntion because: having trouble expressing my ideas.....

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

It's my personal opinion that burning literature en masse should be illegal, I do understand that it violates people's freedoms to act like idiots.

I feel the same way about making journalist integrity rules law as well. Even though they should have the 'freedom' to lie to me in the press, I don't think they should.

~Tenth

I think ( I could be wrong ) most people agree, this guy is a troll. Hey, personally I'm glad he was arrested for putting lives in danger. As someone said, what if the driver or passenger in a car next to him unknowingly threw a cigarette out the window? I really wouldn't have a legal problem with him if he had used some common sense. Do I agree with what he does? Constantly going on about burning 'religious material'? Eh, no not really. If he does it on his own property, with material that he has legally bought and in a safe manner? Go right ahead. My partner and I recently burned some material we realized we REALLY did not want in our home. We didn't want to sell it in a yard sale or give it to Goodwill because we felt we would be exposing someone else to material that we felt was spiritually dangerous. So we burned it. Of course we didn't go making a big production of it nor was it a truck load of stuff either.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

It's fun when you are on the other side of a topic. It's always a good discussion.

Mass book burnings make people nervous .. for good reason. But it's not the government doing it .. it's just an idiot and his idiot followers. We can't call the PC police down because everyone has different ideas of what is correct behavior. It would be a mess.

Well, that's different. I"m pretty sure there are rules for journalists about printing (or broadcasting) what they know to be lies. I'd have to go googling them up ... but my eyes are too tired right now.
edit on 9/12/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Khaleesi

We didn't want to sell it in a yard sale or give it to Goodwill because we felt we would be exposing someone else to material that we felt was spiritually dangerous. So we burned it. Of course we didn't go making a big production of it nor was it a truck load of stuff either.

Exactly

It's one thing to expres your views but making a production of it??? x3000 books.... I don't care how you express them, and if you want to purchase 3000 Quran's and have a open bonfire on YOUR property, film it and post it on YouTube, then more power to you. Hey, as long as it's within the fire ordinace for your local jurisdiction... I don't care if your cooking a pig in a pit

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
No I didn't and neither did you or anyone else. He was arrested and charged with a felony before any flames ensued. Be ashamed that you are spreading the disease that haunts those you yourself advocate for. He is worse than tits on a boar hog, but according to the rights of this USA, he is OK. Please advocate what you preach. You are an admired member, don't relinquish the rights of all citizens with an emotional stance.
edit on 12-9-2013 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Supreme Court ruled in the early 2000's I think, I can't find the judgement, but I remember reading it, that Journalists had no legal obligation to tell the truth, as it violated their 1st amendment rights.

Crazy eh?

And yeah, I love being on the other side of issues with you too FF

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I dont know if the guys an idiot or nor really. Never met the fella.

But first, I read the first paragraph or so of the news story so not sur if he got pulled over actually hauling the books soaked in kerosene or soaked them when he arrived at his destination.

Second and most important, to me anyhow,is what I think we should be focusing on. I think it is his right to burn the books, safely. I believe he has been arrested or at least in the news for burning one already. But I believe the reason he was arrested was not for the koran burning, but because we know what the reaction of the muslims would be. Savage riots and murders. Just how they are.

So we have to cow-toe around them with what we say, do, display and serve for food so as not to incite a savage riot.

Of course I bet most of you against the guy would say that it would be their right to act in such a fashion because of the insult to their religion.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
Supreme Court ruled in the early 2000's I think,

I was thinking I remember something about a 'journalists ethics' kind of thing.
An oath or something they agree to ....
Man .. it's tickling my brain but I can't remember!
Anyways ... thunderstorm coming ... gotta' get off the computer ...
Bu-bye for now.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Do you think our enemies would think twice about burning 3000 Bibles? Hell no.

Burn away.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Can I please point out that this twit was driving around with a massive fire hazard stuck behind his vehicle? And that was why he was arrested? I mean how stupid is he, not to realise that a load of kerosene-soaked paper is an inherently bad thing?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
Burning literature should be a crime.

Sorry, but even me, the non-religious guy would defend the rights of people who wanted to keep their literature in existence.

I love how such hate filled people can claim to be in the eyes of God and act this way.

~Tenth

The man's hypocrisy is quite obvious, and his lack of intelligence is pretty obvious too, judging by the fact that he was driving around with a huge stockpile of fuel soaked books. Not exactly the safest thing to do.

But are you being serious about book burning being made a crime, or was that just kind of a sarcastic statement? I'm just curious what justification you would see for criminalizing book burning? If someone is doing it in a way which threatens the safety of others, as this guy was doing, obviously he should be stopped. But the act of burning book itself being illegal? I can't imagine how that would do anything for liberty.

tothetenthpower

If I hate my neighbor and yell at him from across the street, that's me expressing my opinion.

If I go to my neighbors house and punch him in the face, that's no longer expressing my opinion, that's me taking an action, that is un-necessary, inflammatory and wrong, in order to put my 'point' across.

This is what this man was doing. I don't think he gives a damn about 911 or it's victims, it was simply an excuse to go out and decry Islam as a religion of hate and violence.

~Tenth

If you punch your neighbor, you are violating his rights. You are inflicting physical damage to another person, and guilty of assault because of it. If you burn a book, you are not inflicting physical damage to another person. In fact if someone is burning books, you have the very easy choice to simply ignore it. It someone is punching you, you don't have the option to simply ignore it.

I'll agree his methods are less than classy, but you are comparing two things (book burning vs assault) that have nothing in common.
edit on 12-9-2013 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
"Divide et impera," divide and conquer.

It is so easy to rule, manipulate and oppress a divided, hateful humankind.

When myriads of denominations, sects and factions "make up" religion/s, each claiming to bear the truth, the right, the supremacy in regards to the next, there is no more place for compassion, love and brotherhood, the latter being three main "teachings" of each religion.

Then, in our country where freedom of speech and other constitutional rights are being taken away in front of our eyes, the former needs not be supported when used to incinerate hatred.

Nowadays we need more than ever to see beyond our nose and nurture peace and love, as hate and war have never benefited humankind, its societies or any denominations of it.

Just my twocents.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join