It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did you see the big Quran burning yesterday in Florida?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So, tell me, did you catch Pastor Terry exercising his right to provoke and generally upset people yesterday by burning a giant BBQ full of Qurans?

Terry Jones Wants To Burn Qurans Again, Florida Town Tells Him To Take His Trolling Elsewhere

^^ That story may refresh anyone's memory who didn't stop to read it more carefully in the last month or two. It's run here and there ..and as the next story shows, he had every intention of doing it, too.

In this case, well? Life happened and the town really had meant it when they said to take his trolling elsewhere.

MULBERRY, Fla. (AP) - A Florida pastor has been arrested before he could set fire to almost 3,000 Qurans.

Polk County sheriff's officials say the Rev. Terry Jones and his associate pastor were arrested on unspecified felony charges in the small central Florida town of Mulberry on Wednesday. A news conference is scheduled for later Wednesday to announce specific charges.
Source

Now that ran yesterday, and why NO ONE saw this little display of hate for the world. Thankfully.

It's embarrassing to me that while he has every right to do this, by our Constitution...and I would never suggest that be otherwise, I still feel like apologizing for idiots like him. This must look downright terrible for folks who don't live here and so, don't see the whole country to put this little man into the minor context he belongs in. Of course, the media always makes a HUGE deal of these things and in the worst ways.

So, I wasn't entirely unhappy to see he got himself arrested on the way to his little BBQ. However, this last story and today's info is what makes it rich. It's WHAT they arrested him for. Not only do I have to laugh at the irony of the basis of the offense....but I have to wonder if the man has even a Cub Scout's sense of safety and ability to function without hurting himself or others.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office reports that Jones and Sapp drove a pickup truck towing a large barbecue-style grill filled with kerosene-soaked Qurans to a park, where they had intended to burn them — one for every victim of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Jones applied for and didn't receive a permit.
Source

Now I didn't emphasize the part of that which ought to give everyone brain freeze for stupidity and menace to society ...because I want to see how many it even stands out to. For those who missed it though, it's the fact they were already doused in kerosene before he departed and sitting in that condition...literally fuming all the way...as he drove along in this set up.

The other charge was relating to the fact he was carrying a gun and somehow, it states, illegal open carry. Perhaps local ordinance? I'm not familiar with laws in Florida for what might define that. It's a misdemeanor though so maybe because he had a gun while another felony was happening?

Apparently, he had enough kerosene though to support the charge of "unlawful conveyance of fuel", which is a felony in Florida. No small matter.

I think he picked the wrong town to go all hateful in this time. They struck back ...and preemptively too!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

wrabbit2000It's embarrassing to me that while he has every right to do this, by our Constitution...and I would never suggest that be otherwise, I still feel like apologizing for idiots like him. This must look downright terrible for folks who don't live here and so, don't see the whole country to put this little man into the minor context he belongs in. Of course, the media always makes a HUGE deal of these things and in the worst ways.

Im Proud.

Proud to live in a country where you can Express yourself freely with out fear of Government reprisal...

Oh wait, he was arrested for it? Change that I am embarassed.

Embarrassed that we let others Opinion stifle the right of free individuals to express themselves.

As A Christian I would gladly burn 6000 bibles if it proved a point or served a political statement I was trying to make.

I may not like what your saying but Ill defend your right to do it, as long as he wasn't sitting there inciting Hate speech or encouraging criminal actions or violence against muslims whats the problem.

IF the rest of the World has a problem that here in America we even let the village idiot spout his nonsense tough.

The cost of Freedom is sometimes having to See or Hear things you don't like, or may Disagree with your ideologies... Its a lesson everyone should learn.
edit on 12-9-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Well, I'll bet if he'd been letter perfect to the law himself, he would have gotten to burn all he wanted, too. However, I'm startled to hear what that idiot did. I had Hazmat endorsement for most of my time trucking and that included training. Not a ton of it, but enough to understand how to read the little "How far to run book" which is basically the index of hazmat and safe distances...explosive tendencies.. that sort of thing. He was hauling around a big load of paper, soaked in Kerosene, in a mickey moused make shift rig? On highways?! Streets?!!?

That's what got me the most. I saw the previous stories and hadn't shared them because the man's a little troll and Heaven forbid any extra publicity got him more attention for his stunt. However....He was an honest to God menace and threat to everyone and everything for a distance around his ..what? rolling bomb/lantern?

That would be dandy to have someone not paying attention, light a cigarette while stopped next to his trailer of doom at a stoplight. A real Final Destination moment. lol....

He got what he deserved but he earned what he got, too. Fair and square.

edit on 12-9-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: Minor Correction

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Well, this went against what our fearless leader Obama said about being compasionate with Muslims...

My feelings... I don't condone it. Actually, I like to believe there is freedom of Religion for everyone in America. If you want to burn a Quran, do it in your "OWN" backyard and roast a smore over it for giggles. Do it on a large scale and expect the paddy wagon, doesn't matter if it's a Quran, Bible or a Harry Potter book

It's just tasteless and shows the innate prejiduce nature that is still lurking in people. Hatred breads hatred and this is a shining image of that.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Burning Qurans is very very silly, he should of just given them out and let people read for themselves what a hate filled manual of war and opression that book realy is

the religion of peace pfft

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
this guy is a jerk what better way to get people to hate you or bad press for your country .
i bet this is all over foreign news
but good pr for this nutter

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Too bad I wasn't invited. I'd have thrown a few Qu'rans into the fire and then added a whole lotta' Jack Chick tracts as well as a few dozen copies of 'The Audacity of Hope'. I could have gotten that fire burning really well! ha ha ha

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

a nazi uniform would have suited you in another time

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

I can see you in a clown suit

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dam00

go play with your nuts sqirrel

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No matter how they try to cover themselves, its easy to see some people's hate lol.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Well said Lucid~ Nice avatar change btw

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

lol i had to reduce quality to fit ATS size limit. Its kinda choppy.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dam00

Too often, the Qur’an is portrayed as a book that endorses violence and intolerance. Verses are taken out of context in the actual text but also in terms of their historical context. The verses (or even parts of verses), for example, that are commonly cited are: “And slay them wherever ye catch them” (Chapter 2, Verse 191) and “O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends: They are but friends to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust” (Chapter 5, Verse 51). It is important to remember that the Qur’an responded to events on the ground and any fair analysis of the verses, whether by non-Muslims or Muslims, must recognize this aspect of the text. Moreover, translations are not always accurate. Thus, verses like the two above need to read within those two contexts. So, the first verse is part of a verse which in turn is part of a series of verses on the issue of self-defense. Moreover, there was a clear historical context that this verse must be read in: this was a time when the Muslims were under attack from Quraish and thus were instructed to defend themselves but also not to transgress. In other words, violence and aggression must be within a framework of defense, boundaries, and rules. The second verse is problematic because of the translation that is often circulated: the word in Arabic that is used is awliyaa’ which does not mean “friends” but rather “guardians.” This distinction is important because it speaks to a reality among any community or nation: when protection and defense are needed you generally would not turn to those who are not only outside your community but may also be fighting you. On the topic of Jews and Christians, the Qur’an refers to them as People of the Book. As such, they share with Muslims a connection to the chain of prophets sent to mankind from God. Why isn’t this reference cited when discussing the Qur’an and the relationship between Muslims and non-Muslims? Why are opportunities missed to show commonalities and shared principles between different faiths?

The Holy Qur’an tells us,”O mankind! We have created you male and a female; and we have made you into nations and tribes so that you may know one another.”
insideislam.wisc.edu...

Don't judge something you know nothing about dude.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by geobro

Starred

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent008

You can put the verses in what ever context you want, and judging the actions of some muslims (and im not just on about a small minority ) I think its safe to say that some muslims take them in the same context I do, more people should read the quran and make up there own minds about context

from what I have seen of Islam and the mess it has created in my community and what I have read in the quran intolerance hate and opression pretty much go hand in hand

the fact is you have your opinion and I have mine

and the pastor has his

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Burning literature should be a crime.

Sorry, but even me, the non-religious guy would defend the rights of people who wanted to keep their literature in existence.

I love how such hate filled people can claim to be in the eyes of God and act this way.

~Tenth

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:12 PM
link   
The idiot got what he deserved, hauling flammable material like that.

As for the protest, I'm glad he didn't get to do it. I'll never be in favor of book burning, regardless of the content. However, I support his right to protest in such a manner, and wouldn't want the government outlawing it.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

geobro
reply to post by FlyersFan

a nazi uniform would have suited you in another time

Oh lighten up.

The point is that people have a right to do what they want. They are just books.
And I picked a wide variety of stupid books to toss in.
People can burn whatever books they want ... it's freedom to protest on their part.
And people can still buy whatever books they want ... that's not cut off.

Pfft .. nazi .... oh brother ....

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

tothetenthpower
Burning literature should be a crime.

Stopping people from being able to express their opinions should be a crime.
This guy (idiot though he may be) should be allowed to express his opinion.
It's just a stupid book.
If he had decided to burn the bible ... I'd approve of his right to do so as well.
To stop him from being allowed to burn it ... THAT would be overreach by the govt.
They are his books. He can do with them as he wishes.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join