It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official: The CIA has begun delivering weapons to rebels in Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:02 PM
link   

The CIA has begun delivering weapons to rebels in Syria, ending months of delay in lethal aid that had been promised by the Obama administration, according to U.S. officials and Syrian figures. The shipments began streaming into the country over the past two weeks, along with separate deliveries by the State Department of vehicles and other gear — a flow of material that marks a major escalation of the U.S. role in Syria’s civil war. The arms shipments, which are limited to light weapons and other munitions that can be tracked, began arriving in Syria at a moment of heightened tensions over threats by President Obama to order missile strikes to punish the regime of Bashar al-Assad for his alleged use of chemical weapons in a deadly attack near Damascus last month.

www.theatlanticwire.com...

twitter.com...

Vehicles and all. I wonder how they "track" the weapons exactly?

edit on 11-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I just saw that on CNN as well. It's interesting in that Russia is helping the Syrian government while the US is helping the rebels. It's like we are fighting a proxy war against Russia's proxy like two pit bulls that we trained to fight each other.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ronnie6657

The most screwed up thing is what some people here believe, that being that it's all a mutual farce and such.
-Not sure what I believe as of yet but it's a strange world!

Literally anything is possible...it would seem.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

your link says page not found!
could they have scrubed it that fast?

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

what the? lol, I have no idea what happened there lol..
Thanks for the heads up

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Ronnie6657
I just saw that on CNN as well. It's interesting in that Russia is helping the Syrian government while the US is helping the rebels. It's like we are fighting a proxy war against Russia's proxy like two pit bulls that we trained to fight each other.

They're all in it together!
When its all over they divide up the spoils between themselves.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Seems the info is here

Hmmm lets see if this link copies correctly.

www.washingtonpost.com... ry.html
edit on 11-9-2013 by gz007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
OP edit this and copy the link

Link

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

No, the link was entered incorrectly.

washington post

edit on 11-9-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This is pure treason.

Plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

edit on 11-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (fixed link)

edit on 11-9-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
CIA is delivering weapons, and it's printed? and further on...

The latest effort to provide aid is aimed at supporting rebel fighters who are under the command of Gen. Salim Idriss, according to officials, some of whom spoke on the condition of anonymity because part of the initiative is covert. Idriss is the commander of the Supreme Military Council, a faction of the disjointed armed opposition.

Covert? Yep... no one knows a thing... laughable how it's now printable to use the CIA as a transfer source for the weapons...

Not that I agree with any of this, but acknowledging that the CIA is handling the delivery seems strange to me..

DId I miss the memo where the agency was moved to a more transparent position in the Fed Govt?

If so, who is the real covert ops now? Don't tell me.. I don't want to know...

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Ronnie6657

Sort of however, the Russian have been happy to sell weapons to Arabs States who have been supplying the rebels with them. Lets face it they have been more than happy to supply both sides of most of the conflicts that have gone on. When it comes to arms Russia is a true capalist. They do not care who they are suppling as long as they have money.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Yup, the most incompetent, I mean transparent government in history.

edit on 11-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Who exactly are the rebels?
Anyone know how reliable this source is?
Link

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

When it comes to arms Russia is a true capalist. They do not care who they are suppling as long as they have money

Kind of like America? It's always all about the money. These psychopaths don't care about human lives at all. Hard to imagine when you're not a psychopath, I know, but very very true.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Does anyone here really believe that the CIA and or KGB haven't been secretly shipping weapons to the Middle East for decades now? Any disagreement or tribal battle of any kind in the area always has some secret agency with a three letter acronym behind at least one side if not both.

Amazing how this surprises everyone ....

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

This is feeling like the Iran-Contra Scandal of the mid 80s but with different players. Ollie North ended up with his own show and the few indicted were either pardoned by Bush I or buggered their way out on appeal.

Same game, different players. Disgusting.

If humans learned from their mistakes we'd be a perfect race by now.

Why does this horrible behavior still shock me and make me angry? Shame on me for letting them fool me into raising my expectations.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   

it is NAM all over again this time the French had noting to do with it, just a Civil war that has to major players in it US and Russia. May the best BSer win Obama or Putin, speaking of worldnews.nbcnews.com... seem's as good as any thread to post this... in full

Putin pens NYT op-ed urging 'caution' in Syria

Sasha Mordovets / Getty Images
Russian President Vladimir Putin speaks during a meeting with ministers on budget planning on Sept. 11, in Moscow, Russia.

By Becky Bratu, Staff Writer, NBC News
In a rare move, Russian President Vladimir Putin took his case for caution in Syria directly to the American people, writing an op-ed for Thursday's New York Times that went live online Wednesday night.
In the piece — headlined "A Plea for Caution From Russia" — Putin warned that a potential strike by the United States in Syria could unleash a new wave of terrorism, increase violence and further destabilize the Middle East and North Africa.
Noting that there are "few champions of democracy in Syria," Putin urged the United States to abide by the laws of the United Nations Security Council — and not rely on what he described as a "dangerous" sense of American exceptionalism.
Advertise | AdChoices

"Under current international law, force is permitted only in self-defense or by the decision of the Security Council," Putin wrote.
"Anything else is unacceptable under the United Nations Charter and would constitute an act of aggression."
Enumerating a list of countries in which the United States has intervened militarily in the past — including Afghanistan, Libya and Iraq — Putin points out that "force has proved ineffective and pointless."
"In the United States, many draw an analogy between Iraq and Syria, and ask why their government would want to repeat recent mistakes," he wrote.

"Millions around the world increasingly see America not as a model of democracy but as relying solely on brute force, cobbling coalitions together under the slogan 'you’re either with us or against us,'" Putin added.
In Syria's case, Putin emphasized, the two-year conflict is not a battle for democracy, but an armed conflict between the regime of President Bashar Assad and an assortment of "enough Qaeda fighters and extremists of all stripes battling the government" with the assistance of foreign weapons.

The Russian president even went as far as to claim the poison gas attacks — which he does not deny took place — were at the hand of opposition forces "to provoke intervention by their powerful foreign patrons, who would be siding with the fundamentalists."
Of Russia's support of Assad, Putin wrote he favored a "peaceful dialogue" under the Security Council's provisions.

"We are not protecting the Syrian government, but international law," he wrote, adding that any kind of military strike — even a tailored one as the Obama administration had described — would incur civilian casualties.
Putin failed to mention that Russia, along with China, are often the biggest impediments to Security Council action — or that Russia's last military base outside of the former Soviet Union is located in Tartus, Syria.

The Russian strongman's plea comes directly on the heels of President Barack Obama's own address to the American people. On Tuesday, Obama spoke to the country on prime-time television, announcing that he would put off a military strike and work with Russia, China and American allies to get Syria to give up its chemical weapons.

Russia reshaped the Syria crisis by proposing two days ago that Syria could try to avoid an American attack by handing its chemical weapons over to international control.
But there are signs that Russia will complicate such a process. On Tuesday, Russia blocked a resolution crafted by the United States, France and Britain that would have called on Syria to turn over the weapons and threatened U.N. military enforcement.

Putin said he welcomed Obama's interest in continuing the dialogue on Russia's proposal -- but not before he cautioned against the case of American exceptionalism he said Obama made in his Tuesday speech.
"It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation," he wrote.

This was not Putin’s first op-ed in the New York Times. In November 1999, he penned an editorial to address terrorism and violence in the Caucasus region, with an emphasis on Chechnya.
well there you have it edited by me as not to be a wall of words, interesting times indeed

edit on bAmerica/Chicagok201311 by bekod because: line edit

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join