It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria Officially Admits It Has Chemical Weapons

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
For the first time in history - Syria officially acknowledges that they are manufacturing and stockpiling chemical weapons. So why make them and stock pile them if you aren't going to use them? Deterrent? They aren't supposed to have them to begin with so it's not like they can try to intimidate people by showing off their stock piles ...

That being said ... it's no surprise. OF COURSE they have them. Ive said before, I think both Assad and the Rebels have used them over there. I can't prove that, of course. But that's what I think.

Side note - this still is no reason for the USA to bomb Syria ... IMHO

Wall Street Journal

Syria said it would cease production of chemical weapons and disclose the locations of its stockpiles to the United Nations, Russia and others, as Damascus seized on a possible diplomatic route to avert international military action.

The statement by Syrian Foreign Minister Walid Moallem represented the first direct admission by the Syrian government that it possesses chemical weapons. Mr. Moallem said Syria aimed to sign the international convention banning chemical weapons...

"We are ready to reveal the locations of the chemical weapon sites and to stop producing chemical weapons and make these sites available for the inspection of representatives of Russia, other countries and the United Nations," Mr. Moallem said, reading a statement to a pro-regime Lebanese TV station, al-Mayadeen. "We are ready to cooperate fully in implementing this [Russian] initiative, particularly given that we want to become a signatory to the Chemical Weapons Convention."

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Side note - this still is no reason for the USA to bomb Syria ... IMHO

Yeah but with them admitting it, that is just about all our government needed to hear....They can twist this however they would like to launch an attack....This gets worse by the day....It is coming people, whether we want it or not!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Russia has said they will back them if they do this. With China, Iran, Russia and the others, there is no way the US will attack now. Obama looks weak, maybe he'll think before talking next time. Well played Syria/Russia.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Although there are tons of reasons why no one should have chemical weapons, Syria isn't a signatory to the Chemical Weapons Ban so why are they not supposed to have them? I mean on legal as opposed to moral grounds?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

You sound pretty confident....You think they are going to back down the great Obama? I am not so sure about that.....

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

FlyersFan
For the first time in history - Syria officially acknowledges that they are manufacturing and stockpiling chemical weapons. So why make them and stock pile them if you aren't going to use them? Deterrent?

Its well known that they are a "poor mans nuke" deterrent to Israels real nukes(which they have NEVER admitted to owning).
Assad announcing he has chemical weapons is no surprise to anybody.
Just like if Israel announced it had nukes. Would you be surprised by the revelation? Would it even be a revelation?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

It's been unusually quiet in regards to Syria and the current debacle flowing downhill today... Oddly, feels like the calm before the storm... I hope I'm very wrong
Needless to say... Them saying they've been stockpiling chem weapons doesn't help, regardless of them saying they'll enter into the international laws and give them up... It's a mind bender of a scenerio...

I hope I said all that right....

I have a feeling the fire's coming too...
this is not a prediction... Just a feeling that whatever is supposed to transpire... Is going to soon.

Thanks for posting FF~

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It makes me wonder if this strategy is also aimed at getting Israel to admit its chemical weapons stockpiles or face military intervention from Russia, Iran, Syria, etc...

I can certainly see a point in the future when everyone points at Israel and the US and says "We turned over our chemical weapons, now it's your turn."

I'm just pointing out that by the US accepting this deal they will certainly have to accept the same terms when the tables are turned on Israel.

Which would be a good thing in my opinion, I 'd just bet that Israel is lobbying the US pretty hard right now to turn this down.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

tvtexan
It makes me wonder if this strategy is also aimed at getting Israel to admit its chemical weapons stockpiles or face military intervention from Russia, Iran, Syria, etc...

I hadn't thought of that. But I was thinking that this is more of a strategy to get America not to bomb them (because obviously Obama is off his rocker and wants to bomb them to help his Muslim Brotherhood buddies, no matter what). And with the UN inspectors in the country, the USA can't bomb. They are like human shields. Also, the UN inspectors aren't the brightest bunch. they are easily fooled. In Iraq, the UN inspectors would be coming in the front door of a facility, and the chemical weapons stored there would be going out the back to be re-hidden.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Everyone was aware they had chemical weapons...I don't think anybody was calling that into question...the admitted it...big deal...the United States finally admitted area 51 after many years yet everyone new.

This is not big news and obviously the deal was that they agreed to turn over the chemical weapons as explained by Putin...so again no shock.

I get what you are getting at that this was the first official admittance of these weapons but does the media think this will change things to help Obama in his endeavor to start a war?

The reality is Russia and Iran have a base in Syria and they will do what they can to deter a war from happening (for the time being). The United States government does not have 100% evidence and it's nice to say people not hanging on every word of the president for a change...real debate is happening from both sides....this is exciting to say the least and should be a reflection on the government and not the people of the United States...

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jtma508

You're right. There is nothing illegal about it, since they haven't signed any treaties regarding that, as most nations have. Just as Israel hasn't signed the NPT.

Syria made Chemical weapons for the last 30 years while Israel made nukes for the last 30 years. they balanced each other for general deterrence with Egypt on the other side of the equation, kept roughly equal in conventional force power. Balance.

Syria being stripped of it's chem weapons while Israel is NOT stripped of it's Nukes, actually DOES pose a real problem at this point... The rather warped sense of balance which has existed, doesn't now. Israel suddenly becomes untethered by that previous 'MAD' situation. I wonder how that impacts the region, overall?

* Also ... If the rebels have considered those Chem weapons to be a trophy they want? This will be the time they move hardest. They'll want them before they can be fully recorded and/or destroyed.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

chrismarco
Everyone was aware they had chemical weapons...I don't think anybody was calling that into question...

It's a very big deal. It confirms that what was coming out of intelligence reports is accurate. It confirms that they were making them and .. like I said .. why make them if you aren't going to use them. It's not like you can wave them around under people's noses and use the fact that you have them as a deterrent. It's a big deal.

I get what you are getting at that this was the first official admittance of these weapons but does the media think this will change things to help Obama in his endeavor to start a war?

TV news is speculating that, with this admission and invitation for the UN to enter the country, that Obama's chances of being able to bomb Syria has significantly dropped. With Syria showing such intense cooperation (supposedly) then there is no way the international community (or the US Congress) would stand for Obama going in and bombing someone who was standing there with open arms saying ... come on in and check us out.

Don't get me wrong. I don't trust Syria any more than anyone else. But the image they are projecting right now is one of complete openness and cooperation. Obama doesn't know how to fight that.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   

FlyersFan
Also, the UN inspectors aren't the brightest bunch. they are easily fooled. In Iraq, the UN inspectors would be coming in the front door of a facility, and the chemical weapons stored there would be going out the back to be re-hidden.

What are you talking about?

There was no WMD's remember. You do realise that WMD's(in the context of Iraq) are CHEMICAL and biological weapons.
Explain how they can move something that doesnt exist out of the back door.

edit on 10-9-2013 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

All this hoopla about Syria having chemical weapons................

I am sure the US still has them? Somewhere.......

HOW ABOUT BIOLOGICAL WEAPONS??????

I just have to love the hypocrisy of the US government when they themselves have level 4 bio labs that house some of the most deadly viruses known and UNKNOWN to man.......................sigh......

Bottom line, the US government has shed their globalist clothes and become naked in the eyes of those whom they oppress! Are they going to give up and admit their crimes against humanity???? Hell no, thus prepare for the "End Game"!

I am shocked at how this Syria farce has awoken the masses! Our oppressors are scared! Prepare yourselves folks!

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   
As if we didn't know they had them.. But what happens after they removed those chemical weapons, are they going to say : Well we have removed all the chemical weapons , so now you can go on and kill each-other again with tanks, rifles bombs and we will supply those arms for both parties?

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   

seeker1963

Bottom line, the US government has shed their globalist clothes and become naked in the eyes of those whom they oppress! Are they going to give up and admit their crimes against humanity???? Hell no, thus prepare for the "End Game"!

I am shocked at how this Syria farce has awoken the masses! Our oppressors are scared! Prepare yourselves folks!

And that really is the most bottom of lines.

Im shocked at the masses grand awakening, encouraged by the same people I had lost faith in, and very worried as to where this is all heading.
I think TPTB either are guilty of a gross underestimation of the intelligence of "the ignorant masses".

Or this is all going exactly as planned, and this puts the world on the precipice of NWO control by war or by willful acceptance in order to avoid war.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   

superman2012
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Russia has said they will back them if they do this. With China, Iran, Russia and the others, there is no way the US will attack now. Obama looks weak, maybe he'll think before talking next time. Well played Syria/Russia.

How does he look weak?

It was his threat that was taken serious to get Syria to agree to handing over their Chemical Weapons to international control. Without that serious threat, or if they thought Obama was weak and didn't mean what he was saying...they would have never agreed to this.

Try to spin it all you want, but Obama's threat of a strike forced Assad's hand in giving up his Chemical Weapons.

Obama did that without even having to strike...just by the threat of a strike...that sounds like a win to me.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Ah, we've always known that Syria had chemical weapons, this is nothing new. The MSM has talked about this a number of times in the past 2 1/2 years.
edit on 10-9-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2013 by RedShirt73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

But don't you think that the whole chemical weapons thing was a big PITA for Obama *and* Putin ?

Neither want the U.N. involved do they ?

They both need to keep the 'civil war' going right ?

A lot of people think the chemical 'attack' was a '3rd party' false flag anyway.

It got in the way of the plan.

Now everything continues as before.

No chemicals = no problem.

btw, why does Obama appear to be more concerned about 1500 chemical 'illegal' deaths and less concerned about 100,000+ 'regular' 'internationally legal' deaths ?

Hmmm.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

AlienScience

Try to spin it all you want, but Obama's threat of a strike forced Assad's hand in giving up his Chemical Weapons.

Obama did that without even having to strike...just by the threat of a strike...that sounds like a win to me.

That sounds like a spin to me.

And a cunning one at that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join