It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Alternative for Food Stamp Recipients provided by the American Government

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvaMarie
The food stamp program is being taken advantage of.

There are a lot of people that get food stamps and sell them. That is what makes me mad.

Don't you think there are better things to be angry at? Such as the funding to blow up Syria? Food Stamp fraud sits at 3%. That is the lowest in error it has ever been!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Your link suggests that the USDA is addressing the fraud. This is good news and is showing that the administrative costs going to the SNAP program are actually used for something good.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Food Stamp fraud sits at 3%. That is the lowest in error it has ever been!

I appreciate that you want to justify social welfare for idealogical reasons and I think that is a stronger case than defending/denying corruption.

As I had mentioned earlier, even without corruption, the majority of the resources devoted to social services are devoured by administrative costs. You could say (and I do) that the true beneficiaries of the welfare system are the welfare employees.
edit on 8-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
The lazy part that goes along with fat will exclude them from planting and tending food producing trees. They'll just go to the grocery store. If they were to make food, it is counterproductive for them to sell any as it would reduce their food stamp benefit amount.

What a load of hogwash

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Want to hear something shocking about food stamps from the USA?

My family of 4 and we make over 100,000K a year, And we still qualify for food stamps. Wow!

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

Originally posted by EvaMarie
The food stamp program is being taken advantage of.

There are a lot of people that get food stamps and sell them. That is what makes me mad.

Don't you think there are better things to be angry at? Such as the funding to blow up Syria? Food Stamp fraud sits at 3%. That is the lowest in error it has ever been!

I like when the govt announces things like this. Food stamp fraud is ...% , voter fraud is ...%, poaching accounts for .... % of game animals killed. It is nothing more than a guess. Even with crimes where there is tangible evidence of their commission, the numbers are not correct, because of unreported crimes.

If anything, the numbers being the lowest ever would be an indication that they are being lax at pursuing fraud!

When a person 'loans' another person their EBT card for a cash payment, there is very little risk of the crime being detected. How can the government presume to know how much fraud occurs?

ETA: Here is what is effed up. The NSA can store every text, phone call and email every American makes. They can do a multitude of things with your smartpone without your knowledge including tracking your movements.... but they don't know who is using that EBT card....or that the person is driving a Cadillac Escalade.
edit on 8-9-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by greencmp

As I had mentioned earlier, even without corruption, the majority of the resources devoted to social services are devoured by administrative costs. You could say (and I do) that the true beneficiaries of the welfare system are the welfare employees.[

You are absolutely right and I believe it is close to 75% for the SNAP program.

I also want to say, I don't think it is right that anyone in this country should need assistance. It really is sad considering how America holds itself in such high regard over other countries.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Famouszor

How? Without trying to pry, is it because your living expenses are so high?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Haha yes, you are right! There is fraud in everything and I have no clue how they can calculate the numbers for undetectable SNAP purchases, etc. I would be interested to know.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
4 pages and still no links.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TinfoilTP

I published valuable links for those that do not want to grow. For those that want to use their grocers, there are tools available to them with hardly any effort to consume cheap healthy foods, as well as a recipe database from the USDA with nutritional labels as well as costs..

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikell
4 pages and still no links.

No links to what?

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   

I published valuable links for those that do not want to grow. For those that want to use their grocers, there are tools available to them with hardly any effort to consume cheap healthy foods, as well as a recipe database from the USDA with nutritional labels as well as costs..

Most recipients have children, the parents are only going to buy the food that their kids will eat. They are not going to make some grand effort to force feed healthy food down their kids throats. That means the sugar coated cereals, the sugar laced drinks, and the greasy junk they can stuff into a microwave fast are going to be the go to items. When the bananas turn black on the counter, and the lettuce spoils in the fridge, they won't waste their benefits on them any more.

Common sense says this uphill battle is lost before it gets started.

Oh and the parents erase the guilt with a flinstones vitamin each day, that's what they are for.
edit on 8-9-2013 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

This is all sad and probably true at the same time.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It seems to me that it would be an easy fix to most of it if they just make it mandatory to show a photo I.D. along with your EBT card when you make a purchase with it.

Personally I would'nt risk it because then I might lose it if social services got wind of it somehow, but I guess some folks don't care.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:03 AM
link   

posted by Cancerwarrior

It seems to me that it would be an easy fix to most of it if they just make it mandatory to show a photo I.D. along with your EBT card when you make a purchase with it.

Personally I would'nt risk it because then I might lose it if social services got wind of it somehow, but I guess some folks don't care.

Then how would I do my grandmother's grocery shopping?
edit on 9-9-2013 by Bone75 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Cancerwarrior

I can answer this
Only ONE card is issued per household. The household can have 5 recipients under the same roof. That's why they do not require an I.D.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by grainofsand

Work smart, not harder is the motto. I am not sure I would apply that to my health, but people do!

I eat my own fair share of crap food but I burn it off whenever I do.
The idea that poverty prevents families eating healthy food in the US seems to be shot to death with the details mentioned in your OP, it is certainly a lie which gets thrown around in my country far too often.
I spent 6 months of my life as a homeless rough sleeper and I still ate healthily, but then I take responsibility for my own life and don't desperately search for reasons to blame other people and demand entitlement.

The thing is, the people who blame others for being in the state they are in sometimes use it as an excuse for when they squander the opportunities they had. Others were truly dealt an unfair hand, came up the loser, but state the incorrect reasons.

Point is, there are people and institutions to blame for the poor's demise. The few at the top use their laws to create an environment that creates more poor that suppresses jobs to make money, and limits money made on any jobs found. This results in perpetual poverty. Then the education infrastructure is standardized and neglected, resulting in a environment of mediocrity, rote thinking, lack of motivation, and no creativity. Now multiply these disadvantages generationally, and you have yourself a psyche of entitlement and sub-par lifestyle.

Giving out stipends for free food, or free cash is not going to fix the economic, educational, and social base that creates more poverty, more crime, and more entitlement.

Back to the topic, i think this is not only surprising, but phenomenal. At the same time, i think that food stamp recipients only have proabebly only access to the GMO crap.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigman88

Back to the topic, i think this is not only surprising, but phenomenal. At the same time, i think that food stamp recipients only have proabebly only access to the GMO crap.

No, the alternatives are very clear in the OP
It was the main subject of the post actually.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
we've been living off of food boxes for 5 years....

because we have to..the prices are too high to pay for vegetables & fruit..

I'm not sure what country or state you live in .. but MOST fresh vegetables and fruits are NOT cheap where we live.. even at Walmart.. seriously .. why.. because of the damm oil prices .. plain and simple..it's the worlds life blood, literately.

Not to mention meat, and since we're meat eaters, it's been a good while since we've had a steak ...my wife eats the other white meat....called chicken.

Great thread for those who are on EBT !

and $100/month EBT for a household that brings in 800.00/month .. max for cash to pay bills..that's not including 1250.00 for the rent..

whoever in the state is coming up with these 'guidelines' to make it sound they're doing America a favor.. needs their head examined.. !!

edit on 9-9-2013 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join