It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Alternative for Food Stamp Recipients provided by the American Government

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofsheba
Thanks for sharing valuable and informative information. I worked for the county welfare department and I had no idea that recipients could purchase seeds to grow their own gardens. It makes sense to me! I realize many on these programs probably won't take the time to utilize this idea, but even if a few do then that's great! I appreciate the information and if given the opportunity I will spread the word!

Thank you queen. Not just seeds though, plants to!
And feel free to request FREE posters to hang in your office if you are still in the social service field.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by greencmp
[
Really, I should be adhering to the 'if you have nothing nice to say' rule so, pardon me. I feel like I just walked into the ladies room.

No don't hold back. How you feel is important. This is your money too. You have a right to feel and say what you want about these programs. We are all citizens here.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I think you are missing my point here, all of the money that comes out of the government must first come out of the economy. If I took $100 from you and allowed you to have $75 of it back, would you call that stimulating your pocketbook?

Understood. I do not know the economics behind it all. Hopefully there is a member that can explain how it actually works. How exactly does $5 turn into up to $9 in economic stimulation. I explained how I thought it did, but that is likely wrong. So we will wait and see

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Well, that is pretty easy, they print it, which increases the money supply, which decreases the value of all of the other dollars, which is called inflation.

I just saw the reference in your post but, in fairness, you mentioned stimulus so you got the correct answer.

The idea that the $5 becomes $9 because of the confiscation and redistribution of it is at best misleading. If left in the economy, it would produce much more growth but, only for those who invest it and assume the risk that it might become $1.

So, if you take it away and let it begin a new life as government subsidy, (while it's growth is stunted for the period it takes to make it back in AND is shaved by the handlers of it in the form of administrative costs which can be as high as 75%) ultimately, it makes its way into someone else's pocket and somewhere down the road could become $9 but only by re-entering the market.

At least when it is taxed it does not alter the value of each of the other dollars in the economy but, it does detract from the available money for investment, which detracts from job creation, which increases poverty, which makes SNAP and EBT necessary for more and more under-employed citizens.
edit on 7-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

Lets break this dow a bit.

Does government actually care?

No. I don't think government, as an entity, actually cares about us. If they did, things wwould be much different.

Do they pretend to care in order to impose more control and authority onto our freedoms and liberties?
Yes, absolutely.

Government cares about the growth of government. Nothing else. Programs initiated to give the appearance of caring are there to provide a means to instill more dependence onto government and to insure its (government) growth.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Very good original post. To the one that asked how 5 dollars can turn into nine dollars, please let me try to explain.

100 people spend their 5 dollars at the local grocer, and then the local grocer can hire an assistant, and now the assistant pays taxes. I realize this is a very low browed simplified explanation, but it is true. When we all buy things retail, many hands have touched it, and it provides a living to many.

Beezer, I am not sure what to say to you, though we walk opposite sides of the political aisle, you usually refrain from negativity in positive threads. The OP has brought info to light that I am sure many don't know, he should be applauded, and we should all do what we can to spread this info.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Wait a minute. You said the government doesn't have the duty to care. Now you are saying they only pretend to care to act as a nanny.

My OP shows resources provided by the government to give the people a healthy alternative when it comes to using their benefits. This shows me that my government is concerned with the health of the nation.

I understand that you think that caring, or pretending to care equates to loss of freedoms. And that their only care is to grow into a bigger government. How do you come to this conclusion, if I may ask? Enlighten me if you will. If I haven't made it evident already, you probably know that I am new to the world of conspiracy.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by BubbaJoe
Very good original post. To the one that asked how 5 dollars can turn into nine dollars, please let me try to explain.

100 people spend their 5 dollars at the local grocer, and then the local grocer can hire an assistant, and now the assistant pays taxes. I realize this is a very low browed simplified explanation, but it is true. When we all buy things retail, many hands have touched it, and it provides a living to many.

That's exactly how I understood it. Thank you.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Hollie

Lets break this dow a bit.

Does government actually care?

No. I don't think government, as an entity, actually cares about us. If they did, things wwould be much different.

Do they pretend to care in order to impose more control and authority onto our freedoms and liberties?
Yes, absolutely.

Government cares about the growth of government. Nothing else. Programs initiated to give the appearance of caring are there to provide a means to instill more dependence onto government and to insure its (government) growth.

I think you are wrong on this one Beez, government is not the problem, the people in government are the problem. Most are doing nothing but protecting their own posteriors. I served 7 years in the military and then sold IT equipment & Services to the Government. Those people care about nothing but protecting their own backsides & income.

Does Michelle Obama want to help with Childhood Obesity, yeah probably in her heart she does, but she is not the government. Do the McDonald's lobbyist want to thwart that effort, yeah they do, and will write a big check to a congressman or woman that will take it and support them in their effort to continue to market their garbage to our children.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie

I understand that you think that caring, or pretending to care equates to loss of freedoms. And that their only care is to grow into a bigger government.

Correct.

How do you come to this conclusion, if I may ask? Enlighten me if you will.

If government actually cared about the freedoms and liberties of it's people, then there would not be the laws which restrict said freedoms.
If government actually cared about the people, they would not spend so much time and effort creating taxes to take away one of the "vehicles" that enables us to live how we see fit.
If government cared about our liberties, they would not hide behind terms like "safety" and "security" and "over-all health" to impose such restrictions on said liberties.

If I haven't made it evident already, you probably know that I am new to the world of conspiracy.

Welcome to the tribe! Everyone one of us was new once.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

Got it. Thank you and very informative explanation.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

I understand that you think that caring, or pretending to care equates to loss of freedoms. And that their only care is to grow into a bigger government.

Correct.

How do you come to this conclusion, if I may ask? Enlighten me if you will.

If government actually cared about the freedoms and liberties of it's people, then there would not be the laws which restrict said freedoms.
If government actually cared about the people, they would not spend so much time and effort creating taxes to take away one of the "vehicles" that enables us to live how we see fit.
If government cared about our liberties, they would not hide behind terms like "safety" and "security" and "over-all health" to impose such restrictions on said liberties.

If I haven't made it evident already, you probably know that I am new to the world of conspiracy.

Welcome to the tribe! Everyone one of us was new once.

I know you do realize that many of the laws that have been put in place, were put there to correct past abuses.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

No problem and thanks for making us sing for our supper here!

I feel like I walked into the ladies room and got grabbed by a bunch of lovelies who want only to learn about Austrian School economic theory!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Are there any particular laws you are referring to? That might help me better understand which freedoms are restricted.

May I ask what taxes have been implemented that do not enable us to live how we see fit?

I think I understand what you are saying here but it will be more clear to me when you answer my first questions.

Thanks beezer.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Hollie

No problem and thanks for making us sing for our supper here!

I feel like I walked into the ladies room and got grabbed by a bunch of lovelies who want only to learn about Austrian School economic theory!

Please explain to me the Austrian School economic theory. I am living the American Pay my Bills theory, and trying to survive. I the Austrian system works better, I may want to move

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

Hyper-summary: "the first job of an economist is to tell governments what they cannot do."

I think you were making a joke/ironic comment but, in case you are interested you can check out the best summary I know of here:

What is Austrian Economics?

The Ludwig Von Mises Institute is perhaps the best source for resources on free market philosophy (aka catallactics).

I was actually thinking about starting a thread on the subject but, I thought it might be a little dry.

I will consider it and try to imagine a creative introduction now that I know the ladies dig that!

And thanks to the OP for being so engaging, it wasn't my intention to hijack your thread!

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Damn, Sweet Thang.....that is a great OP.

Absolutely s and f'd.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

reply to post by beezzer

Are there any particular laws you are referring to? That might help me better understand which freedoms are restricted.

May I ask what taxes have been implemented that do not enable us to live how we see fit?

I think I understand what you are saying here but it will be more clear to me when you answer my first questions.

Thanks beezer.

If you don't mind, i want to reply to the above questions.

Can you smoke anything you want? How about selling your own brews and wines? Any idea what kinds of tax stamps will be required for that? The cost of them?

How about if i want to pull out $10k in cash to give my child for a car? Any idea what other paperwork Ill have to go through?

How come there is a second amendment meant to give me the ability to hold my government accountable....but they get to have better guns? I have never harmed anyone....so why am I restricted so much?

Once I came in from hunting and was almost taken to jail because I forgot I had my hunting knife on my side.

There are so many examples of freedoms being curtailed that I could sit here all day and list them.

Regarding taxes....the income tax. The largest drain on our tax dollars is military spending. None of us wants that kind of cash being spent. That money alone could fix all our problems. And THAT is a tax I might be interested in paying. But I am not willing to fund health care AND war mongering.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Thank You Furry Texan
and I am still laughing at the avatar you made for me! It did make the Mods happy.

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Can you smoke anything you want? How about selling your own brews and wines? Any idea what kinds of tax stamps will be required for that? The cost of them?
I understand, and good question. I know it's easier in some states than others to do this. I have researched this only a few days ago because I would like to sell my wine. This is a great topic and I will work on it. Who knows, the government might even have some programs out there for those that want to get into the industry.

How about if i want to pull out $10k in cash to give my child for a car? Any idea what other paperwork Ill have to go through?
I am not sure, I don't have that kind of cash to experiment with, but you know as well as I do that there are ways to avoid these issues.
I suspect that all of this stems from the government regulating the banks though? Maybe?

How come there is a second amendment meant to give me the ability to hold my government accountable....but they get to have better guns? I have never harmed anyone....so why am I restricted so much?
I am only versed with those laws in my state, but you are absolutely right on. It is probably illegal to own a tank? I assume anyway.

Once I came in from hunting and was almost taken to jail because I forgot I had my hunting knife on my side.
I was fined for having legal sized fish that I caught in the Gulf, but I had chartered the same fish over to the Atlantic side. You have a good point. I wonder if bureaucracies can legally practice a "case by case" scenario.

But I am not willing to fund health care AND war mongering.
A lot of people feel this way, including myself to a degree. I do not mind funding health care to ensure our children and poor adults are in tip top shape. It's when we are paying for completely preventable diseases that bothers me. Such as diseases brought on by being obese. I would rather pay for curtailing obesity.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Wow, okay I am actually in this boat, although for some reason I am only getting $17 a month on my SNAP. Thanks for the information, it is really useful, although it could take a few months or more to implement.

I think that being fat on SNAP would actually have to do with being less informed, it is easier to get fat on foods than it is to eat healthy, and also, when on a budget, it is a lot easier to get fat than to eat healthy.

The common denominator here is information, thanks, you provided it in a well-organized fashion.
edit on 7-9-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join