It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Healthy Alternative for Food Stamp Recipients provided by the American Government

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

I am not sure but I can guess here, do you have newer vehicles? It's one of the determining factors for sure. Also your dependents. All I know is it isn't $hit for what the cost of processed food is. That's why the majority of recipients that run out head off to the food banks.

Where I am located it is WAY cheaper to eat fresh and it is heavily promoted. It is also easy to get free fresh foods. Farmers have surplus, so much that the food banks cannot take it. Perishables are free for the taking weekly in my parts. If you want to message me your general location, I might be able to find you a fresh market close that accepts EBT. I can also see if you can get free farmed fresh surplus goodies

edit on 9-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hollie
reply to post by Komodo

I am not sure but I can guess here, do you have newer vehicles? It's one of the determining factors for sure. Also your dependents. All I know is it isn't $hit for the cost of food. Where I am located it is WAY cheaper to eat fresh and heavily promoted. It is also easy to get free fresh. Farmers have surplus, so much that the food banks cannot take it. Perishables are free for the taking weekly in my parts. If you want to message me your general location, I might be able to find you a fresh market close that accepts EBT. I can also see if you can get free farmed fresh surplus goodies

thx
.. appreciate the help..

but we're not on EBT.. or any other goverment assistance..

as for the newer car.. hmmm yea.. 2 are 1992 and the other is a 1985, ..which now needs tags..

the farmers market.....seems to be more expensive than the supermarkets.. like a flat of strawberries is $40.00.. or more.. LOL .. I understand they have to make a living and I was raise on a farm.. so, I truely understand...it's just way out of our budget atm .. ;D

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

Okay cars older than 98 aren't counted. If you have a farmers market, then chances are that there is a farm near by. If I am not mistaken, farms cannot sell about 40% of their growouts so they either leave it to rot, or they give it away. Message me your state and county if you wish.

And if you need food, almost every localized church gives out bagged groceries. And if you do not have too much pride, I posted a link so you can see if you are qualified. Food costs are about 30% of your income which is absolutely ridiculous.

Even if you only qualify for 15$, at least you can supplement yourselves by purchasing a berry bush or seeds with EBT.
edit on 9-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   
lol, food stamps just subsidize other vices, like smokes, alcohol, video games, jewelery, TVs, cable, nice cars, phat clothes, etc, etc.

How about food stamp allocation portioned on Body Max Index? lol.

Frankly, we all know there is plenty of food out there....in raw form. Why should taxpayers pay companies to produce inefficient food products, when bulk food should be available at "State Stores" which is plentiful and freely available? Let them take it home and prepare it themselves. If they don't like it, get a job.

More food would feed more people for less cost (and less administration!) . How is that not better? Oh, I guess other people should pay for ANYTHING the recipients desire.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by VulcanScienceAcademy

What are State Stores?

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
I would think a lot of folks need the food stamps to feed themselves and their families right now not plant gardens, and have to wait for the food grow. Hopefully most of the people that are able are out looking for work or ways to supplement their income. I'm no one to judge I'm lazy and barely work but I get by on a $120/month food budget. I buy a big tub of protein powder for $15. I spend $20/week at the grocery store eggs, bananas, bread, milk, spaghetti. I drink 3 shakes a day and am in good shape and good health been doin this for years. The rest of my diet consists of energy drinks and beer.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Bone75

I guess your grandma would have to come with you.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VulcanScienceAcademy

lol, food stamps just subsidize other vices, like smokes, alcohol, video games, jewelery, TVs, cable, nice cars, phat clothes, etc, etc.

I've seen alot of statements like this on this thread and no evidence at all other than peoples opinion. Does anyone have any evidence other than "Well, this one time I heard from a friend about this guy who sold his food stamps, so they all must be doing it!" As I've stated, I've seen the other end of the spectrum myself, so how do people fix it? Or does everyone propose just getting rid of the program altogether and saying to hell with those who are medically unable to provide for themselves?

How about food stamp allocation portioned on Body Max Index? lol.

So my 140 lb frame (that used to be 205) that has been wracked by chemo and radiation and surgeries galore should determine how much I eat?

Frankly, we all know there is plenty of food out there....in raw form. Why should taxpayers pay companies to produce inefficient food products, when bulk food should be available at "State Stores" which is plentiful and freely available? Let them take it home and prepare it themselves. If they don't like it, get a job.

You know SNAP stuff has to be bought cold and uncooked right? And you know Monsanto has the food police in this country right? Something like what you propose would be illegal in a heartbeat.

More food would feed more people for less cost (and less administration!) . How is that not better? Oh, I guess other people should pay for ANYTHING the recipients desire.

yeah......free stuff is what we are all about......

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Most SNAP recipients are fat however SNAP recipients cant get food from food banks here. You can get beans and rice not the full menu that someone not getting food stamps can get. So you are completely wrong. Also the food bank in my city shut down. So no one here is going to one. From what a gather a lot of food banks in my area shut down. I didn't ask why.

The way the food bank works is you sign up for food stamps. They say yes or no. If they say no you can get a letter "if you're female" saying they can't help you. You then take that to the food bank. They will then give you far more food then you ever would have been able to afford with SNAP. I'm not kidding. I have seen the portions. Don't even bother with food stamps if you need food go to the food bank you will get 50 dollars in food every 3 days.

The reason you have to be female is because SNAP and state run programs have all become sexist. If you are female you can get a case manager. If you are male you cannot. You need a case manager to fill out the slip for the food bank. Seems someone needs to sue them and SNAP.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thank you OP for making me aware of this. I have really good standing with my management team @ Wal-Mart, and I am going to bring this up with my store manager, especially since the posters can add the logo of the company displaying them. This is an initiative that is really in line with our company's sustainability goals, so I don't think it will be that hard to swing with our market team, especially considering Wal-Mart is the "ground zero" if you will, for SNAP purchases. The fact they offer a Spanish poster is a plus, but I think my community will need one in French as well with our large Haitian community.

Thanks again for bringing this to my attention. It is people like yourself, that cast away pessimistic and cynical thinking and go for positive and productive goals and spreading the message that are striving for self empowerment that is making this world a better place. the truth is evil is being beaten all over the world, and it shows because of how much negative is being propagated by the media to attempt to dissuade the people from good change.

When all you see and hear in the media is bad things, it is because evil is on the decline and trying to corrupt in overdrive all the positive movements.

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Thank you for not being a Debbie Downer and for your optimistic AWESOME reply! You are certainly in a position to make a difference, and that has made my day.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

I spoke with my Store manager, he is very interested. I will be putting together a quick 2 minute plan of action for him on how this education could help our sales (I have to spin it into $$$ somehow), and I ordered a set of posters for our store. I tried to donate $20 but there seems to be some error in their page.

Once I get these posters and put them up, I will upload a picture here with myself, maybe wearing an ATS cap

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
lol, no at 140lbs you should get all the food you want.

At 340lbs, obese persons maybe don't need "assistance", do they?

You're so defensive that you jumped to the 180 degree wrong conclusion.

Really, I wasn't talking about you, personally, at all, in my post.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

VulcanScienceAcademy

Yea because there is no such thing as a fat poor person. Gotcha.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   

AllGloryIsGods
Most SNAP recipients are fat however SNAP recipients cant get food from food banks here. You can get beans and rice not the full menu that someone not getting food stamps can get. So you are completely wrong.
Then this food bank cannot accept any USDA commodities.

The way the food bank works is you sign up for food stamps. They say yes or no. If they say no you can get a letter "if you're female" saying they can't help you. You then take that to the food bank. They will then give you far more food then you ever would have been able to afford with SNAP. I'm not kidding. I have seen the portions. Don't even bother with food stamps if you need food go to the food bank you will get 50 dollars in food every 3 days.
I would be anxious to hear what food bank or what letter denied you food because of your gender. The rest of your reply in this quote I do not quite understand.

The reason you have to be female is because SNAP and state run programs have all become sexist. If you are female you can get a case manager. If you are male you cannot. You need a case manager to fill out the slip for the food bank. Seems someone needs to sue them and SNAP.
You are WRONG and obviously are not equipped with the facts of how SNAP benefits works. You also are misinformed how food banks operate that take in USDA commodities. Maybe skip the private food bank that does not take in any state funds. Few of those exist.
edit on 10-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

You are awesome! and if you have any farmers markets around, they can sell their food plants to SNAP recipients as well. It would certainly increase their sales

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

VulcanScienceAcademy
lol, no at 140lbs you should get all the food you want.

A skinny person should get all the food, but not the obese? I don't know if you are sincere in your ignorance, but just in case you aren't...

A good amount of obese people are nutrient deficient and in terrible health. They are overfed and undernourished.
Link

It is WHAT you eat, not how much you eat. It's lack of physical activities and caloric intake that isn't burned off.

posted on Sep, 11 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Hollie

Originally posted by bigman88

Back to the topic, i think this is not only surprising, but phenomenal. At the same time, i think that food stamp recipients only have proabebly only access to the GMO crap.

No, the alternatives are very clear in the OP
It was the main subject of the post actually.

You mean the government actually specified that SNAP clients can use their benefits to purchase non- GMO seeds, fruits, veggies, and products?

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

Yes. Since the 1970's.
edit on 13-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bigman88

GMO seeds aren't available to the general public. Not sure if you know that or not. You cannot just go out and buy packets of GMO seeds LOL. You buy those in bulk by the pallet then have to enter into a contract, etc. Planting GMO entails a lot.
edit on 13-9-2013 by Hollie because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join