It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING Russia: Two 'Missiles' Fired In Mediterranean

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Two missiles were detected because they fired two of these inert Black Sparrow target missiles. It was only a test of the computer systems that control the intercept, so nothing was actually fired at the targets. Both target missiles landed in the sea, and they were detected as ballistic because the Black Sparrow, has the ability to mimic the flight profile of an Aggressor Ballistic Missile. As for the secrecy, it's Israel. I don't doubt that they found some use in seeing which radars/EWS picked it up, though.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Araqiel
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

Two missiles were detected because they fired two of these inert Black Sparrow target missiles. It was only a test of the computer systems that control the intercept, so nothing was actually fired at the targets. Both target missiles landed in the sea, and they were detected as ballistic because the Black Sparrow, has the ability to mimic the flight profile of an Aggressor Ballistic Missile. As for the secrecy, it's Israel. I don't doubt that they found some use in seeing which radars/EWS picked it up, though.

Thanks for the explanation, seems to make sence to me

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I heard that the US has submarines that can launch aircraft from missile tubes.

These craft have a protective shell inside the launch/storage tube, and that shell falls into the sea when the device is launched.

No "missile" impact would occur with a submarine-launched aircraft (read:drone) since it isn't a missile in the traditional sense.

We are thinking Cold War technology. This is an error.

The military is using 21st Century technology (in some cases, in others - not so much)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by MarsSentinel

They've talked about putting a cut down Avenger UAV into a launch tube, and they can launch small UAVs from them but no full up aircraft.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by Zaphod58

No missiles were fired? Then what did Russia pick up on radar? Russias observation was what led them to admit to the test.

The missiles fell into the ocean.
Even if you want to say they weren't technically missiles they are indistinguishable on radar and have the same effect of provocation.
edit on 3-9-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

If it is a test, the missile would be programmed to fall in the ocean. That seems OK.
I was wondering about the platform that launched it.
We think Israel can launch ballistic missiles from submarine. Can it be that.

For comparison, India tested its ABM system by launching a test missile from a ship. The ABM system was on land.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Israel has always used the F-15I to launch the Sparrow. They carry it on one of the outboard under wing stations.

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join