It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING Russia: Two 'Missiles' Fired In Mediterranean

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
It appears Israel is preparing for the possibility of an Iranian ballistic missile attack following an American attack on Syria, a Syrian and or Hezbollah reprisal against Israel, and a Israeli counter-attack.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Demanto

And the Russian military is in only slightly better shape than the Syrian military for taking out the US ships in the area. Even their commanders admit that their military is in bad shape, with a few exceptions.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrocyte

Israel has already been prepared. This is nothing more than a test flight of a new target missile.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Posting this reply here since there are 2 threads (waiting until one is closed or something), I just want people to think about possible situations, this is not meant as a double post.

Plausible situations:

1.The US is going to declare war and is doing some final adjustments/preparations
2.The US wanted to scare someone/make someone thing something was going on (Russia) in order to have them fire back, causing a Russian provoked war

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I wonder if a US sub fire this off next to or around those Russian ships.
Do we the US have the means to carry this out?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
politicians....this elite will lead us all to destruction...!!!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by grayghost

They were launched by an Israeli aircraft, an F-15I, based on the F-15 Strike Eagle. They weren't technically missiles, they were targets designed to simulate ballistic missiles to test the Arrow defense system. This was the first flight of the new targets.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

They were launched by an Israeli aircraft, an F-15I, based on the F-15 Strike Eagle. They weren't technically missiles, they were targets designed to simulate ballistic missiles to test the Arrow defense system. This was the first flight of the new targets.

10 /4 Roger that.
I was hopping we had the stealth on US subs to pull this off.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Oh they probably could easily. Especially if we have a Virginia in the area. But in this case, this was just an unfortunate case of Israel being Israel and not bothering to warn anyone they were about to test something new. The problem with the idea of lobbing a couple missiles near a Russian ship though is that as soon as you do, you're no longer a submarine, you're a big glaring target.
edit on 9/3/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

A ship launch is more likely than aircraft launch.

F-15 can launch a cruise missile that cannot ever simulate a ballistic missile.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

I'm aware. It doesn matter if it has a warhead. A missile with a warhead and one without a warhead look the same on radar. The Russians certainly didn't know what it was besides a ballistic object. The threat is the same and it can provoke a war just the same.
Israel said the targets were anchored (i never saw ANCOR). And yes it is bad when israel does it in an area that is a powder keg and they give no heads up. They threw a lit cigarette into gasoline and were lucky it disnt catch. If they had announced the test it wouldn't have been less a demonstration of their ability to protect themselves.

Mmmkkaay

This was an obvious attempt at provocation. They even lied about it initially.

The technicalities don't really matter honestly. It showed up on radar as missiles and Russia saw it. That's all that matters.

It was explained by Israel as a test of ARROW at anchored targeta. If I'm wrong about that it doesn't change the most important issue. They raised an alarm shooting ballistic objects towards a country they will soon go to war with from the place an attack would be launched and it showed u p as missiles on radar.

edit on
edit on 3-9-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

extra DIV

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

No missiles were fired? Then what did Russia pick up on radar? Russias observation was what led them to admit to the test.

The missiles fell into the ocean.
Even if you want to say they weren't technically missiles they are indistinguishable on radar and have the same effect of provocation.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

And where have I said differently? But you might want to reread what I said. The Arrow system didn't fire. This was a test of a new target and the radar and command system for the Arrow. It never fired at the targets.
edit on 9/3/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Arrow can't shoot at anchored targets. It's an anti missile system, not ash offensive system. It was a fought test of the ANCOR missile target used to test the Arrow. The Ancor is an upgraded target and this was the first flight test.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Really? You should tell the Israelis that then. The F-15I routinely carries the Sparrow missile target used in Arrow testing that simulates an incoming missile (and no it's not the same Sparrow they routinely carry for A2A missions).

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

As Zaphod says, it was indeed launched from an F-15 and it was one (well, two really) of these: Rafael Black Sparrow, which is a guided missile but can simulate the trajectory of an Aggressor Ballistic Missile. Not to be confused with the AIM-7 Sparrow as embarrassingly reported by some news outlets. The 'anchored target' was another piece of incorrect information that came from the Israeli name for the system, 'Ancor'. Nothing hit anything else, no warheads were in the air at any point, and no actual intercept occurred. The only real issue is the fact that Israel didn't announce their intention to test this, but that's just their MO it seems.
edit on 4-9-2013 by Araqiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
imo, seaborne attacks being the first strike wave seems unlikely due to the surveillance on the surface.

This was a ruse to probe the command and control of the enemy.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
hey guys sorry for not being able to contribute more to this thread but I have been otherwise engaged and will be for the next couple of days.

Even so I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick up date on the facts.

So far based on what I heard on the news it seems like American and Israel initially both denied any involvement and then came out and said it was a joint exercise.

any info would be appreciated.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

It was the first flight of a new Sparrow missile target. It was a joint exercise in the sense that the US is helping with the Arrow system (Boeing makes the missiles), but it was an Israeli test with minimal if any US involvement.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

It was the first flight of a new Sparrow missile target. It was a joint exercise in the sense that the US is helping with the Arrow system (Boeing makes the missiles), but it was an Israeli test with minimal if any US involvement.

Thanks 4 the update zap, can I also ask then why did they detect 2 missels, why did isreal deny everything at first and also why with tensions so high why did they not announce the launch beforhand.

Just wondering

Thanks

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join