It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think there's suppose to be some point to all this??? I just wish I knew what it was....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
What exactly is the point of life? Like what are we here to do? Are we actually suppose to do something? And what is that exactly or even generally speaking?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
We are supposed to evolve expand across our galaxy and police the universe,those far alien planets need liberating.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Well I know we're here. We're forced to be here. But we really don't have a lot of options. Maybe we're suppose to find some kind of purpose in life? And maybe if we're lucky we find someone to love. I just think life seems pretty hopeless though. Like it seems as if say you go out and try something, it could be anything really, well chances are it won't work out because you have no experience at it. Then lets say it does work out, well now for likely no good reason other than bordem you've just added a major weight to your life. Some new responsibility that you're now obligated to. Maybe in return you get what you've framed in your mind as some benefits back from the situation but in many cases if not most it's hardly worth all the work you had to put into it, and hardly worth all the work that you're now obliged and responsible for, plus all the risk you've taken on. So that could be anything from: a house, a job, a business, a spouse, a kid, a dog, a project etc etc. Like so why do it in the first place? Is all that work actually worth it in the end? Like our minds tend to try and make up for the actual loss in freedom I think by making us feel like there's some higher purpose there. Maybe there is maybe there isn't, who knows. But I suppose one has to keep busy somehow in life, it just seems like most projects one might take on are really a complete waste of time in the end for dozens upon dozens of reasons. So again, it just boils down to why even bother doing anything? And if newbies are pretty much not going to have the skills or experience to honestly contend at anything then why even try??? But society and life seems dictate that there is some importance to us trying and going out and doing all these things?
edit on 3-9-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
We have no reason to be here...

We are here by an accident that occurred millions of years ago, things got mixed together, started something and this is where we are up to at this moment in time...

You are born into this world, you work, you grow old, and then you die....

Then the system starts over again...

Just think how beautiful the earth must have been before man/woman appeared and destroyed it....

Shame, isn't it?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Maybe life isn`t about "me" and the things I do and buy, maybe life is about the people we meet and the things we learn by getting a job, buying a house, getting a dog etc etc.
I think we can be sure of one thing at least, life isn`t about what we own because we can`t take any of it with us when we die.
Life is probably about the things we can take with us when we die but since nobody has ever returned from the dead to tell us what those things are I guess we just have to make an educated guess of what those things might be and work at them.

I think trying to figure out the point of life has a lot more to do with what you believe happens after you die than it does with what happens while you`re here.

I kind of figure if something is very difficult,it`s probably the right thing to do because the right thing to do is never easy,so I concentrate on the difficult things and try to master them.
I think one of the most difficult things for everyone in life is learning not to hate.It`s easy to hate, even the poorest,uneducated most technologically deprived people on the planet can hate,and they do.Since hating is so easy to do I`m thinking that it`s probably not the right thing to do,doing the right thing is never easy.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 03:35 AM
link   

spartacus699
Well I know we're here. We're forced to be here. But we really don't have a lot of options. Maybe we're suppose to find some kind of purpose in life? And maybe if we're lucky we find someone to love. I just think life seems pretty hopeless though. Like it seems as if say you go out and try something, it could be anything really, well chances are it won't work out because you have no experience at it. Then lets say it does work out, well now for likely no good reason other than bordem you've just added a major weight to your life. Some new responsibility that you're now obligated to. Maybe in return you get what you've framed in your mind as some benefits back from the situation but in many cases if not most it's hardly worth all the work you had to put into it, and hardly worth all the work that you're now obliged and responsible for, plus all the risk you've taken on. So that could be anything from: a house, a job, a business, a spouse, a kid, a dog, a project etc etc. Like so why do it in the first place? Is all that work actually worth it in the end? Like our minds tend to try and make up for the actual loss in freedom I think by making us feel like there's some higher purpose there.

I feel the exact same way. Always have.. Then I think of the alternative, which is nothing. I'm playing the game, but only to play it. I don't expect I'll get anywhere. Where is there to get to?
I do keep my responsibilities to a minimum. For me the only satisfying thing is exploration.

Beyond that as long as we go on existing after death, then everything we do matters, because everything changes us. Really though it just IS, because it IS, and if you want a point, then make one up.

Bill Hicks: Is there a point? (3 minute youtube video)
edit on 9/3/2013 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

various religions claim that there is a point to it - but their illogical convoluted explainations end up reflecting badly on the character of their alledged gods

a very few religions offer a less illogical reason , but fail to explain why the reason exists

atheists just get on with their lives [ singular ]

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

hey - use the bb-code [ yvid ] efOhZlJsvB0 [ /yvid ] to embed youtube stuff - with no spaces

you are using all the numbers / letters after the last special character

ie :

press " quote " to see how it looks

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by davethebear

We are here by an accident that occurred millions of years ago, things got mixed together, started something and this is where we are up to at this moment in time...

Just think how beautiful the earth must have been before man/woman appeared and destroyed it....

Shame, isn't it?

Get real. That's so dumb. You actually believe that? That's so fracking stupid. No there's a God for sure. But just because he's there doesn't mean life isn't gonna have problems, have evil in the world, or feel meaningless at times. I think sometimes we're left to our own devices which sucks.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Well spartacus699, thats a pretty big question to be asking, with an awful lot of factors playing in to how each of us answers that question for ourselves. And make no mistake, that is the only way to answer it. If you absorb someone elses answer to that question, hook line and sinker, what actually happens is that further down the track a ways, you realise that the answer you heard from someone else, just doesnt work for you in the same way.

Lets have a look at the factors which play into some of the answers to that question, which I have heard from folk over the years:

Religion:
Many people on this planet have a faith, and with religious belief often comes a tome or group of works, which seek to inform a follower on just such matters as these. Often there is also a network of persons who have studied such tomes, seeking to understand the deeper meaning of life through those works. People who follow these faiths turn to such learned persons for advice on these matters, and dependant on the faith concerned, the advice may differ somewhat, but many religions advocate various recommended behaviors, rather than answering the question straight. The behavior modification advocated by organised, institutional religious entities is often designed to take ones mind off the big question, rather than actually provide any peace of mind on that subject. Me personally? Im Christian, although I dont go to church, specifically because I know I have to find my own answer to the very question you ask.

So in summary, religion is a factor, simply because some people use it as a distraction from the big picture. Belief in a God should not blind one , but that is sometimes the effect. In any case, the influence of religion bears heavy against an individuals answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Politics:

For those who do not rely on religion to offer them an answer, thier particular political veiws can influence the way they look at questions like "what are we doing here" and "what is the meaning of life". For a psuedo hippy peace activist, its all about trying to spread as much love as possible, in order that the future doesnt become a nuclear wasteland, and for a militant conservative, its all about making sure that if theres trouble ahead, he or she has enough money, possessions, guns, bodyguards, armoured cars, and lubricant to slide through the crap storm. But of course, these people too, entirely fail to see the bigger picture, and cut down to the raw stuff of life.

Economics:

The amount of spare change a person has, is often directly proportional to the amount of free time they can afford to take. A person who has precisely no time to sit in contemplation, because earning thier daily bread is an urgent and desperate struggle, probably hasnt got the time and free headspace to consider these things (unless they happen to have a vast IQ and the capacity for multi-tasking). Someone who has to put relatively little effort into earning thier entire years salary however, probably has all the time in the world to sit on his porch, meditating on the subject. However, if both were asked, thier answers would be very different, because thier expiriences of life would be different.

The Nitty Gritty:

Honestly though, the truth of it is that no one can answer for you. I can only answer for myself. I believe that life is training for the afterplace, heaven, for the meeting with my maker at the end of my days, and the eternal life which comes after. I also believe that alongside that, a healthy person ought to have some ideals of thier own, which run parrallel to that. Personally speaking, I believe that while the individual should strive to love God, his neighbor and all that, in order to enjoy the afterlife in heaven, I believe that the human species could, and should achieve as much as possible before either the supernova which our sun could become, or the heat death of the universe claims its existence. I think that human life should be a journey of education, both for individuals and for the entire human race. I think its about how far we can get before the plug gets pulled and the universe collapses upon itself. I think humanity should aim for the stars, for the very edge of the universe, and get as far as it can on a voyage of discovery before it is wiped out in a fit of entropic oblivion. But even this answer comes with a caveat.

That is of course, that what you personally learn along the way is up to you, and essentially, if you dont choose to follow a faith, then there doesnt HAVE to be a reason for it all, an aim, a goal. Without belief, life is just a complicated series of chemical reactions, with no purpose or philosophy involved or required.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699

Originally posted by davethebear

Shame, isn't it?

Get real. That's so dumb. You actually believe that? That's so fracking stupid. No there's a God for sure. But just because he's there doesn't mean life isn't gonna have problems, have evil in the world, or feel meaningless at times. I think sometimes we're left to our own devices which sucks.

You started this thread for responses, I gave you a response and that is the way that you reply to it....

Please have some common courtesy, it's not that hard....

You say that I am dumb, even though you believe that we are here because of a being called God. Give me a break, please....

Yet again, another person trying to indoctrinate and brainwash us into believing in the Lord...

Why can't you have the decency and respect for what I believe? I may not go along with what you believe, but I don't chastise you for it, in fact I don't give a damn, but as long as you are happy, then that is fine...

Why are you always so damn negative???

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

We're no more than a bad case of fleas to the earth. She was fine before we showed up, and she'll be fine after we're gone. All of our "accomplishments" will fade away, and the species that succeeds us, won't even know we existed, just like we're completely oblivious to the intelligent species that probably preceded us billions of years ago.

In the grand scheme of things, our existence is like a radar blip.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
reply to post by davethebear

We're no more than a bad case of fleas to the earth. She was fine before we showed up, and she'll be fine after we're gone. All of our "accomplishments" will fade away, and the species that succeeds us, won't even know we existed, just like we're completely oblivious to the intelligent species that probably preceded us billions of years ago.

In the grand scheme of things, our existence is like a radar blip.

Exactly my friend, exactly.............We are here, there is no need for us to be here. We do no good for the earth, we are more of a harm to the earth than good. Like you say, one day we will fade away, all evidence will be eroded and hopefully the world will right itself again and be as beautiful as it was before mans arrival.....our existence is exactly a tiny, minute blip on the radar, nothing more, nothing less...........

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

ignorant_ape
reply to post by Dustytoad

hey - use the bb-code [ yvid ] efOhZlJsvB0 [ /yvid ] to embed youtube stuff - with no spaces

you are using all the numbers / letters after the last special character

ie :

press " quote " to see how it looks

Check out my post count. I don't like lagging pages so sometimes I choose to put things as a link on... Purpose.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I hear you. It's kind of like being thrown in the middle of a board game ... not knowing the rules ... not knowing the objective ... but being expected to 'win' anyways.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

The point of life is to live. Without this world, without our parents, without bodies that function exactly as they do, without eating daily, and staying healthy, we cant exist. Having the ability to exist as a self on a world for a time is a great privilege, you can do whatever you want, and whatever you can, but since you were born there were potential paths you could travel, things you can think and do, and desire, choose wisely... if you want to. Be happy,take a deep breath,feel your face, look at the sky, enjoy yourself.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

It is up to you to determine for yourself how valuable life is. All the people you are criticized who do get up everyday and work hard, to support them selves and a family, well they have determined that life is pretty darn valuable. Since the beginning of life, an unbroken chain of ancestral reproduction and legacy. Thats a lot of life that determined life was worth living.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaFungi

Ya I guess.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Well you sound like you are depressed or mopy about something, you can look on the dark side or look on the bright side, its up to you. You can let the world toss you around and make decisions for you, or you can try your hardest to be in control of your life.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Religion aside, I used to think that we were here to "learn" and "grow" and "graduate" -- maybe break free from karmic circles.

I used to think I / we had to discover or remember our "purpose" and go do it.

Now, I think we just need to live. And, to the best of our ability, enjoy living. Be our "best" SELF -- our talents, our joys, our passion. Just do so in a way that causes no harm to others.

And, I believe that if we are soul-less meat suits, that it still is important to be noble. To live as if all life matters and that there is something bigger, even if there isn't.

Sometimes it all seems pretty crazy and messed up. I feel small, insignificant. In many ways, I am. We all are.
Yet, the fact that we are here, alive, conscious, and able to ask the question -- to me is phenomenal and miraculous. I can't believe a whale, a butterfly, a redwood tree and us are "accidents."

Not religious. But, it feels as if the universe, the potential other dimensions and universes, the countless stars and galaxies, the millions and billions of creatures and people on this planet alone...it is overwhelmingly beautiful and if nothing else, we should perhaps have as our purpose to feel gratitude for experiencing a moment of the grandeur of it all.

IMHO.

edit on 3-9-2013 by Galadriel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join