It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the worlds most educated country is!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Personally, I think the number one spot should be a tie between Iceland and New Zealand. Being educated shows in how you have applied, to the real world, what education you have received.

IMO.

newsfeed.time.com...

Happy Labor day. Go have a baby.

edit on 2-9-2013 by Taupin Desciple because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
America is the 4th most educated country in the world? Holy crap this is one stupid world.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Oh i fully agree!

But you can tell who is taking their uni seriously, they are the students struggling to get into the very popular courses and these courses tend to be ones that EVERY university offers.

I know for a fact there is a very large amount of lazy students giving all the rest of them a bad name. I know this because i was faced with the exact same decision 14 years ago (when things were far better for uni grads). I chose work now, because i knew 'field experience' would do me better than going head on with the country's finest.

Turns out this was the right choice, but i very nearly opted for a student loan and 3 years of dossing simply because i didn't want a job yet and i know that i was not alone! If i had to guess id say 30-50% of students are avoiding a job, while some of them tell themselves "I'll be fine I'm being highly educated", most of them know they will not get a good pass if a pass at all and stick with it anyway.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazyewok
Of course liberal art degrees and other rubbish to hell with them get a real job

The world still needs teachers.

That said, I'm Canadian, been to uni and these findings are crap. I can come up with 10 countries with better educational systems.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
It all depends on which site you go to. I have just googled this and very respectable sites have totally different list orders.

I guess it is just a matter of opinion. I seriously doubt the USA in in the top 10 though.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
How can you rate the value of education in the US when up to 53% of college graduates are jobless? How many college graduates know how to make a bomb meal themselves? Ramen doesn't count.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by swanne
reply to post by 727Sky

Canada, number one?!

I live in Canada, and I can tell you ALOT of people are not very educated. They know alot of gossip, but not much about sciences or philosophical ideas. Yet that's what matters the most!

I agree with you on this one, education nowadays is kind of a synonym for "being smart" (or sounding like one), I would say it goes the other way around.

I live in Israel, supposedly the second country in that list. Most people here are doing their degrees for the sake of a better employment, very small percentage are actually into educating themselves, and most of the population are still hooked with cheap entertainment on TV that dumbs them more and more. At least they are being professional about SOMETHING.

The more educated a population is, the more dumb, passive, submissive and mediocre and self-righteous it seem to be. Real intelligence and critical thinking are still being booed in our society, they teach us how to become ignorant with style therefore = no education and no educated people.
edit on 2-9-2013 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
I love Quebec and spend alot of time there...i was just in Quebec this morning.

Hm, so what you think about us? I got the feeling we are one of the most primitive provinces in Canada. Did you see the houses outside of Montreal? They are hideous! Who has blue roof, really?

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye
The more educated a population is, the more dumb, passive, submissive and mediocre and self-righteous it seem to be. Real intelligence and critical thinking are still being booed in our society, they teach us how to become ignorant with style therefore = no education and no educated people.
edit on 2-9-2013 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

Yeah, good point. I reckon it may be perhaps because people who had a degree... think they already know it all? Thus they don't question anymore? Some scientists are also afraid to see their privileges revoked if they were to oppose mainstream... maybe someone who has everything to learn has a more flexible and efficient mind than someone who only has to memorize data and textbooks?

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Below, only has 1 L.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Go New Zealand!!
We here in NZ are happiest when we beat Australia, at anything!

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Congratulations Canada! And all other countries that made it on to the list.

Wat to go!

P.S, do you think Canada gets a head start because all the kids start off bi-lingual? I can't imagine it would do any harm.

posted on Sep, 21 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It's nice and all to be at the top of such a list but the information it provides isnt worth very much.

All degrees are not created equal and neither are all schools.

Any fool can get a degree as long as the check clears.

Besides the obvious relative value of degrees in relation to education there is the reality that much of the developed world is saturated with four-year degree holders and even advanced degree holders. We see it in the ever rising educational requirements for the most menial employment opportunities and the classic "PhD cashier at Borders" caricature. Which means the relative value of that education is falling year after year while the cost to attain that education is rising year after year.

If we wanted to we could get everyone an MBA from University of Phoenix for pretty cheap and claim 100% advanced degree attainment. What's that worth?

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   

suz62
I'm very skeptical. Western/Northern Europe ranks highly in most studies of this type.

Education in America is "education in America". College is more of a money making scheme over actual education here.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join