It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Exclusive: Army Admits To Major Computer Security Flaw

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Get a load out of THIS !!

It sounds like Schlock Inc.

Army’s Deputy of Cybersecurity told BuzzFeed a security failure can allow unauthorized access to computer files. Instead of fixing it, they are telling soldiers to be more careful.

The United States Army’s Deputy of Cybersecurity Roy Lundgren has confirmed with BuzzFeed the existence of a major computer security flaw that enables unauthorized access to users without proper security clearance. They say the best fix is to make soldiers aware of proper conduct, instead of fixing the technology itself.

Countless computers, and the soldiers who use them, remain vulnerable to a simple hack, which can be executed by someone with little or no security expertise.

The hack allows users with access to shared Army computers to assume the identities of other personnel, gaining their securities clearances in the process, and having their activity logged as that user.

Well I'm real glad to hear we have somebody exposing this and telling every hacker under the Sun all about it, and The United States Army’s Deputy of Cybersecurity 'confirming' !!

Unless of course, this 'flaw' is being exploited on purpose !!

Hmmm.

WHO's In Charge Around Here Anyway ?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
What is it with the Army ?

Manning and now this idiocy.

'Be more careful'

Everyday just when I think national security couldn't get anymore incompetent.

They lower the bar once more.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
this is sadly
HILARIOUS!!
damn....

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Maybe... but this sounds suspicious to me. I'm not fluent in military computers but it seems like it could be a trap for low level hackers. Really getting tired of anonymous sources. Just a suspicious mind I guess.

The lieutenant, who spoke to BuzzFeed on condition of anonymity, was told that there was nothing they could do. It would cost too much to fix it, they told him.

edit on 31-8-2013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
And did they make the soldiers double pinky swear not to abuse this?
Lets see now, soldiers getting paid what these days? Having access to intel that could makes them uh rich? Nahhhh not a chance!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Obviously a trick. Think about it. How many hackers does the government employ? Cmon now.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
In my experience, when logging out you always make sure the session completes before pulling out your CAC card. If you pulled out your CAC card before the log out session finished, it locks the terminal. Then you have to insert your CAC and unlock the terminal, then log out again. Or else just turn the computer off and back on again.

Maybe a glitch developed with one of the security policies they push out on the weekly updates.

new topics

top topics

join