It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

7.0 Aleutian Islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Hey all, saw this on CNN and it sort of reminds me of the precursor EQ in Japan.

It's off the coast of the Aleutian Islands so I think it's part of the ring of fire conspiracy, dunno but I haven't seen it posted and I figured I would unleash ats onto some of that fabulous investigative reporting we are so famous for.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Trying to figure out if there is aftershocks for this or is this is a foreshock and perhaps we will see another
That will be of same size or larger.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Flyzoid

"Ring of fire Conspiracy"

Care to elaborate a little?

Back on topic... Thanks for the info

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
That's a big one.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

The August 30, 2013 M 7.0 earthquake southeast of Adak, Alaska, occurred as the result of thrust faulting on or near the subduction zone interface between the Pacific and North America plates. At the location of this event, the Pacific plate moves towards the northwest with respect to North America at a rate of approximately 73 mm/yr, beginning its descent into the mantle at the Aleutian trench approximately 130 km south of the August 30 earthquake. The depth and mechanism of this earthquake are consistent with it occurring along the megathrust interface between these two plates.
The Aleutians Arc is familiar with large earthquakes –two-dozen events of M 6.5 or larger have occurred over the last century within 250 km of the August 30 earthquake. The largest of these was an Mw 8.6 earthquake in March of 1957, whose hypocenter was located just 15 km south of the August 30 earthquake. Aftershocks associated with the 1957 event extended for more than 1000 km along the arc, roughly from the International Dateline in the west to Unimak Island in the east. The 1957 earthquake also resulted in a large tsunami that was observed throughout the Pacific Basin, and caused damage locally along the Aleutian Arc and in Hawaii. Other large nearby events include the May 1986 Mw 8.0 earthquake 40 km to the southeast, and the June 1996 Mw 7.9 earthquake 150 km to the west. Neither of these more recent events are known to have caused fatalities or significant damage.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FrankLY

Yeah I dunno, I read somewhere on ATS a while back about when a large scale EQ occurs on one side if a plate, somewhere down the line whether it be months, years or decades an equally powerful earthquake would occur on the other side of the plate or something like that. I apologize for not being able to articulate so well.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

A 8.6 in this same area in 1946 caused a pacific wide tsunami that reached Hawaii and resulted in a 146 casualties.
Lucky we have that there pacific tsunami warning system now!

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   
wanted to bump this with info of a 6.5 in japan quake

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
this has recently popped up on USGS 6.5 Alaska

top topics

join