It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

There will be plenty of "Now Hiring" signs in windows next week and on the various job sites as well. And those positions will be filled easily and fast.

The protesters say don't like minimum wage, I wonder how much they will like no wage.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'll poke my head in here again. Raise the wages mc d's .I actually hope it forces most of the fast food restaurants to close as the food served there is absolute complete garbage. I'm about to hit the 4 year mark without any kind of fast food(i still miss you mc d's breakfast) and i have never been slimmer or felt better.

As i said before and others have pointed out there are other options for people who only have high school diplomas as i didn't go to college and i have managed to navigate my way through life without having to apply at any fast food joint. I know that there are circumstances beyond some peoples control that force them into working at one of these establishments, and minimum wage just isn't going to cut it.Raise it a bit, but 15/hr?!?!? really?!?!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I'd say "who cares" since my family and I don't eat out that often. . .

but

Imagine grocery store workers demanding the increase as well.
Then gas station attendents.

Pretty soon it'll be 10.00 for a gallon of milk, 5.00$ for a loaf of bread, and 10.00$ just to drive there!

The sad part is, those that'd be making 15.00/hr would be back at square one because all the other costs of living would rise accordingly as well.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
At what rate of work should your pay begin to be reflected? How much money per hour should the company make before the employees doing the work get a cut of that profit?

There are fast food restaurants that make $1500 dollars an hour plus from opening to close, there are those who merely do it for 6 to 8 hours (prime time as some might call it, the hours between 12 and 8)...

Do you really know how difficult it is to make that quantity of food in that period of time and maintain the general flow of service and business necessary to continually do it?

One of the reasons you seem to find stupid people working the register is because of the Barbie & Ken philosophy. When possible you put the most attractive people on the till or the most sociable. Those people never last very long on the front for two reasons, it either gets boring or aggrivating. Like it or not dealing with customers isn't a happy experience for anyone, anymore. If you generally think people are assholes then imagine that you are now obliged to take all their crap with a smile and you will get the general idea.

Does this or even should it apply to every customer? No.
But if you have ever met the kind of attitudes that frequently make customer service a nightmare then you will know what i am talking about. Damn, if you have ever gotten into a long and pointless argument from someone online then you have an idea of what i am talking about. Of all the possible jobs in this country where you have to take crap for doing your job fast food cashier is by far one of the worst.

Hell cops might take crap and get shot at too, but at least they are armed and trained for that sort of thing.

All of that money and all of that food comes from somewhere, and it is usually the kitchen. Anyone who expects to do more in a fast food restaurant then stand there working the till has to be cooking or cleaning. There are plenty of losers and layabouts, they generally go home early or get fired fast. Anyone who needs that job, anyone who simply can't lose it, they are in the back busting ass. They aren't 15 year old punks just making pocket money, in most places minors cannot work past 10, those people are paying their bills and buying goods. Those people are supporting their families and doing what everyone else does to make it, working at a place they hate, and in cases like this for much less money then they are worth.

At some point you have to acknowledge that whatever arguments that might be made about the greater effect this would have on everyone could be and justifiably are then it doesn't change the fact that most if not all of the restaurants that we are actually talking about here could have raised their own employees wages a long time ago without any intervention or mandate from the government. Mcdonald's can afford to raise it's wages, so can Taco Bell and many of the major fast food chains throughout this country that employ these people. They chose not too, like every corporation they chose profits over people. They chose to pass the burden to the state and when it comes time for them to put down on the bill they twist these stories to put public opinion on their side.

There is no bad press right?

These arguments are not just fabricated, this is exactly why government gets involved in the first place. You might not want to trust Uncle Sam but i can guarantee that you shouldn't trust Uncle Money Bags either. If both sides are lying to you then it stands to reason the Corporations are better at it.

They make more money from it don't they?

edit on 29-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

but

Pretty soon it'll be 10.00 for a gallon of milk, 5.00$ for a loaf of bread, and 10.00$ just to drive there!

The sad part is, those that'd be making 15.00/hr would be back at square one because all the other costs of living would rise accordingly as well.

Have you looked at Costco and what they pay their workers? Didnt effect them too bad paying $15+ an hour.

-Just sayin'

EDIT money.cnn.com...
hbr.org...

A few extra cents for a loaf of bread and the employees can have $17 $22/hour plus health insurance...Then those same employees do things like BUY CARS, go out to eat and help the economy rather than live off my tax dollars (and yours) collecting food stamps while STILL working full time...Mcdonalds and Wal-mart would rather have the TAXPAYER pick up the slack so their bottom line (and CEOs) can make BANK.
edit on 29-8-2013 by DarKPenguiN because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

but

There you go again, spouting off common sense. Bad Bunny!

What you point out isn't even a Econ 101 lesson, but something that is taught in Junior High...which apparently, some of these folks must have *ahem* missed. And that's also why they are probably flipping burgers.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Originally posted by brandiwine14

Do some of you realize that people grew up poor? They could not afford college so where is their oppurtunity to be had, no better jobs coming their way. so they take what they can get, no matter the ridicule, or how hard it is to make a living they keep on working because they have no choice but to.

You can work as an electricians helper and start at a higher wage. After a couple of years many companies will send you to class so that you can get an electrical license. Then you're looking at $17 or more an hour. Sanitation engineers make $11 an hour with a high school diploma. Telemarketers can make $13 an hour.

My friend manages a gas station and makes $38,000 a year. My brother (no HS diploma) worked his way from changing oil to running the TLE at Wal Mart and making $40,000 a year.

I grew up piss poor. I have lived in a house with no heat during one of the coldest winters ever. I was just days from being homeless. I fought my way up and ended up working in the music industry in Nashville. I went from having everything against me to accomplishing my every dream. I am a published author, I recorded and mixed albums in Nashville, and I have worked with artists that were #1 in the country. I also managed to get a degree in sound engineering and recording while I was at it.

So, save the bull and the tears for somebody else.

Kudos my friend for doing the right way. These people don't want to take the extra effort you did. They just hold their hands out, hoping for the government (tax payers) or in this case the franchisees who have sunk everything they have and worked hard for, to give them a comfortable salary. It's a job not meant to support a family, but to supplement other income. I started out working for Ginos (now KFC) in 1977 making $1.96/hr. I went to community college in my "spare time" then finished college and went to a real career. It's about working a little harder to better yourself.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thorneblood
Where do you think all the educated people went to get jobs in the past few years?

Again .. You don't pay someone $15 an hour for flipping burgers. That's $32,000 a year. It's a mindless job. It requires no skills and no education. It can be done by almost anyone. Starting salary for a chemist with a four year degree is $38,000. You want to pay a burger flipper almost the same as a degree'd chemist??? That's absurd.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by doobydoll
No, they're not asking for 'a career salary', they're asking for a living wage. There's a difference.

And they aren't willing to work for that living wage ...
Flipping burgers isn't a job that requires skills or an education.
Therefore, it doesn't deserve a higher salary than minimum wage.

Basic economics ... the more education and/or skills needed to do the job, then the more money you are worth to fill that job. There is no education and no skills required to flip burgers. Nearly any adult can do it. Therefore, the pay will be low.

The more education or skills required for the job .. the more you will be paid if you have the education or skills required.

It's very simple ... not hard to understand.

They work and should get paid enough to live on. So what if flipping burgers doesn't need skills? It's still work.

You well-off haters just don't want to have to pay more for your heart-attack burger and double fries, you earn it but don't want to spend it. Deep pockets and short arms.

You want a burger, cooked for you to save you your precious time? You're earning plenty, so stump up for the convenience.

I hope this action rubs off and gives others the courage to stand with them.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnBreakable

Originally posted by earthling42
It's not doubling, it's from $7,25 to $9.
And they are right to fight for it, minimum wage should not be below the poverty line.

The fast food workers are asking for $15/hour, so it's more than doubling.

dont u know u have to ask for more to get less? if they asked for 10 theyd get 8, so ask for 15 u might get 12.

aim for the moon and if u miss u can fall on a cloud. #businessnegotiations
edit on 29-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

McD's here pays $12/hr. That is the same that an HR manager I know makes.

The convenience store on the corner pays $11/hr. They had to shorten their hours because there isn't enough labor to find staff.

I keep saying it: if anyone out there wants a job, come to West Texas. You can be hired in advance and have the work ready/waiting when you get here. Seriously, just fog a mirror and you are hired.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

Woo-Hoo! I'm a well off hater. Never been called that before.
I guess I am well off to a degree, but it sure ain't in the financial department.

I don't eat at Mickey D's because it's just nasty. I would not mind at all if they closed their doors for good. It would not affect me one iota. But I'm sure it would affect all their employees.

But if they raise their wages, and then everybody else does as well, then I would be pissed because then it would affect me.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

They work and should get paid enough to live on.

No. Not all jobs are worthy of a 'living salary'.
Those jobs aren't supposed to be jobs that can support whole families.
That's not their purpose.

You well-off haters ...

you pulled out the 'haters' card. It's the sign of a failed argument.
Seriously ... go to college and take an economics course.
It'll help you understand the reality that burger flippers aren't worth the same as a chemist.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by beezzer

McD's here pays $12/hr. That is the same that an HR manager I know makes.

The convenience store on the corner pays $11/hr. They had to shorten their hours because there isn't enough labor to find staff.

I keep saying it: if anyone out there wants a job, come to West Texas. You can be hired in advance and have the work ready/waiting when you get here. Seriously, just fog a mirror and you are hired.

Yes, there are areas where work is plentiful... Close to me (Ann Arbor Mi.) is much the same.

The problem is, getting people with nothing to their name the money and housing needed for a move. I have often said Welfare should provide money for relocation to areas with work- As it stands though, people living paycheck to paycheck or drawing welfare would lose their benefits having to leave state and reapply- They would be homeless and in a worse spot.

Many people would prefer a hand UP rather than a handOUT- But the system makes this nearly impossible. I recently took a neighbor to here training for a new job (this was in another city for 2 weeks training) which payed almost $4/hour more than she was making at Wal-mart. The State had no problem giving her welfare while she worked at Wal-mart but would NOT help arrange a ride for 2 WEEKS (or a Hotel room) so she could get off of welfare , hopefully for good- They were fine paying her to make $8.00 hour and get food stamps/housing allowance but would not help her find transportation to train for a $12/hr job with benefits.

-My mind was boggled...Luckily I could help her but man- if there was nobody there she would have been screwed.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

You well-off haters just don't want to have to pay more for your heart-attack burger and double fries, you earn it but don't want to spend it. Deep pockets and short arms.

Why is it that when confronted with real world examples and knowledge provided by years of studies people on the "liberal" side of these debates result to name calling. They don't offer anything in retort except for emotional responses and vitrol. It is pretty sad.

I actually refuse to eat at McDonald's. I prefer to cook my own burgers. I also donate to charity, schools, and needy families. I left Nashville to follow a career that allows me to serve others. I am trained to help people in mental health and substance abuse crisis. I donate my time and money to actually helping people hands on. I venture to say that is a damn sight better than fostering an entitlement society that believes simply showing up should earn you a big reward and that everybody deserves the same return despite their actual effort.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by DarKPenguiN

If a company wants to do it, then fine.

But to mandate that a company/LLC/franchise should do it does nothing but jack prices up for everyone!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

They pay that to bring in workers. It sure sounds like a buyers market there!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
While I do agree that these workers deserve some sort of raise, to me $15 an hour sounds unreasonable.

Like a lot of people already said, we cannot encourage people to make a career out of flipping burgers.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

They work and should get paid enough to live on.

No. Not all jobs are worthy of a 'living salary'.
Those jobs aren't supposed to be jobs that can support whole families.
That's not their purpose.

You well-off haters ...

you pulled out the 'haters' card. It's the sign of a failed argument.
Seriously ... go to college and take an economics course.
It'll help you understand the reality that burger flippers aren't worth the same as a chemist.

Maybe Chemists make far too little???

Oh and the whole "go to college and take an economy class..." argument is total fail. Listen to all the "experts" who have been wrong about EVERYTHING. They went to College =/

The system is broken and "college educated" people are primarily the cause here... Not saying I agree with $15/hour for fast Food workers (I am torn and dont have enough data) but reading that the new CEO of Mcdonalds had his pay quadrupled while others are struggling working full time (and drawing benefits WE pay for) does not strike me as a good idea.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   

They work and should get paid enough to live on. So what if flipping burgers doesn't need skills? It's still work.

You want a burger, cooked for you to save you your precious time? You're earning plenty, so stump up for the convenience.

I hope this action rubs off and gives others the courage to stand with them.

Just force people who make more to *cough it up*!

How DARE those people who make more spend it as they see fit!

Greedy ####ing scum, I say!

(getting pitchfork, torch, hammer, sickle)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join