It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When does bad police conduct rise to multiple murder? This just about does.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   
It isn't being charged like the title suggests, or apparently charged at all. This comes to us from the files of the Courts on Civil matters for a whopper of a lawsuit.

However, I doubt the mother cares about the money. I sure wouldn't, and that's saying something for the amounts this should be carrying.

In this case though? You could say "They came, they saw, they executed two people in broad daylight and for an audience"

I'm not sure how much nicer this one can be put. The physical badge and uniform manufacturer is sometimes all certain departments have in common with the professional law enforcement seen in the cities and most areas.

On with the story....and this one, really is particularly bad unless the court filing is basically invented, wholesale.

NEW ORLEANS (CN) - A mother who called Louisiana sheriff's officers because her daughter and son-in-law were fighting saw the officers respond by shooting them both to death, the mother claims in court.

Now that sounds so over simplistic and stereo-typical bad movie opener, I actually did stifle a short laugh when I first read it. Call it one of those morbid reactions to reading too many of these lately. There's nothing funny behind how it came to be though.

In the federal lawsuit, Doyle says she called 911 sometime before 8 p.m. on Aug. 28, 2012, to complain that her daughter and son-in-law were fighting.

The Sheriff's Office responded by sending 14 officers, who shot her daughter to death, and then shot her son-in-law to death when he begged them not to keep shooting his wife, Doyle says.

"While plaintiff, Patricia Doyle, was speaking to the 911 operator the 911 operator overheard Deborah Prine state that she had a gun as she left Patricia Doyle's trailer," the complaint states.

Now the basic story is a simple one here. The couple got into a domestic fight, and the Mother called the cops to get the fight broken up. The daughter made some stupid comments about what is known as 'Suicide By Cop' or forcing the police to shoot her in a one sided confrontation. So rather than send help....they sent the whole friggin department, by the sound of it, and ready to shoot.

"As these [14] defendants took up defensive positions around the Prine home the plaintiff, Doyle, began yelling to the defendants that her daughter, Deborah Prine, would not hurt anyone and that she was trying to get the defendants to shoot her.

"Shortly thereafter Robert Prine, unarmed, walked around the side of his residence between a camper and his house towards some of the defendant deputies who had taken up defensive positions in front of 129 Steven Drive. The defendant deputies attempted to engage Robert Prine, however, he backed away from them to a location behind the camper located in the front yard of 129 Steven Drive.

"Deborah Prine then exited the open carport of her home at 129 Steven Drive. As she walked out she had a rifle strapped over her shoulder pointed toward the sky. She walked out the carport to the end of the driveway where she stopped. As she stood there several of the defendant deputies ordered her to drop her weapon. Fearful that the defendant deputies would shoot her daughter, the plaintiff, Doyle, pleaded with the defendants not to shoot. Doyle was 10 to 15 feet behind the defendants pleading with them not to shoot Deborah Prine. Moments after ordering Deborah Prine to drop her gun but before she had an opportunity to do so the defendants, [Sgt. Richard] Dubus and [Deputy Christopher] Powell, shot Deborah Prine. Although Deborah Prine was armed her rifle was pointed skyward the entire time. She never lowered the weapon or pointed the weapon at anyone. She never fired the weapon.
Source: Courthouse News

It's a much longer story in detail and physical length. A long one, even by the usual standards of Courthouse News. That's going one for their lengthy mini-books on some topics. It's very well worth reading all of it.

To make matters worse here and for what space doesn't allow me to keep quoting to include, when she fell from the first shots, she went down either ON the gun slung over her shoulder or it went down hard on it's own. It THEN fired. The story suggests it was a bolt action rifle. Anyone who has used them knows that depending on design, model and even level of maintenance, having a drop fire or form of slam fire is entirely possible.

The accidental discharge as her dying body landed, brought a new flurry of shooting from 2 more deputies. While her Husband was out of his mind with shock and grief, watching his wife literally shot to death where she stood, he ran toward HER, not the cops, and was summarily shot to death for HIS actions.

It's a bad, late night cable movie, but this really happened (to read the coverage on the court filing) and it happened in the real world with two very dead people in the end result. No question on the casualties.

The lawsuit alleges active cover-up, to include very specific allegations of planting a knife and fork (Fork?? really? ..This happened!) on the body of the man and generally manipulating evidence to support what is a VERY different version of events they had, by the time the Louisiana State Police arrived to conduct a real life investigation.

It sounds like a real shame the State Police weren't the ones to show up altogether. I had more contact with Louisiana State Police over 15 years of trucking than I'd really want to admit...but all of the traffic or regulatory variety. I'll say this. I found that level of law enforcement to be professional, business like and about a mirror of the attitude one gave them. I watched it in scale houses, both good and bad, more than one long day in the 'penalty box'. lol...

The small town Sheriffs or even larger offices in some places? Downright "Southern Comfort" like, for those who recall a somewhat classic movie, IMO. (Or perhaps one step off Deliverance in some other areas) If not, well, think of the cop who asks you how much you have when you ask how much a ticket might be costing, and it probably comes pretty close for some.

Whether we like cops, merely respect cops or hate cops with a passion that vibrates. (We all fit into or around one of those categories.) There has to be a line or a point, even if very hard to define, where cops aren't Police Officers any longer. They're just criminals with better clothes and some real neat toys along side the get out of jail free card they wear on their chest.

Wherever that line may lay? I think this event, if it is anything like filed in Federal Court? Well, this sits a few exits past the last stop to a Sheriff's Department I think 'ol Mr. Holder should be directing Justice to take a look at. Something ain't right down in the Bayou.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm just dreading the day when this kind of cop hits the UK streets

Lets be honest, there's no excuse for many of the cases we see on ats, and I'm sure there's many more that dont get posted here. I remember a picture that someone posted that had the stats showing you were....think it was 8? times more likely to die by cop than by terrorist! Think about that! And then consider that they spend BILLIONS chasing so called terrorists, while paying cops to kill people

What a crazy screwed up world we live in

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Oh, your's is such a sad way to put it.

Too accurate, too.....but altogether sad that we'd have to say that and be serious. Then again, look at the very forum this sits in and it's purpose for coming into existence. It's a new world. Not a brave one or even a good one. Just a new one, with proof that change isn't always positive.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I can almost understand a lot of the police actions to an extent but these stories are getting way too frequent. I understand fear or indecicion , but things are out of hand .Until a threat is made there is no reason for this type of action. All government is out of hand , we dont matter anymore.
Sad and angry
Rob

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Seems somebody is trigger happy in Louisiana.

Hope this gets thoroughly investigated.

On Aug. 14, the son of Barbara Lassere, a 60-year-old woman who was shot and killed by a St. John Parish sheriff's deputy in January after she failed to comply with a traffic stop, filed a wrongful death suit against Tregre and the Sheriff's Office for $5 million in damages.

www.nola.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

To be fair, I must ask;
The account of the event in your source is the testimony of the mother? The one suing? Just wondering.

Here's some other info I found.

"She had tried to kill herself two years ago," Doyle said. "She shot herself in the head and survived.

She had made up her mind," Doyle said. "She wanted to die but she did not want to commit suicide. She was afraid she would not make it to heaven.''
www.nola.com...
Please don't think I am not outraged, I just have questions.

From your source;

Robert Prine hit Doyle and threatened to stab Doyle, that Deborah Prine had told Doyle she was going to shoot deputies, that Robert Prine verbally threatened to kill the defendant deputies, that Robert and Deborah Prine were on the porch fighting over control of the rifle, that
Deborah Prine continually pointed the gun at the defendant deputies, and that after the shooting Robert Prine jumped onto his wife's body then returned to the house only to then run back out of the house toward the deputies with a shiny object, knife and/or fork, in his hand threatening to kill the deputies.
I'll make up my mind after the trial.

edit on 26-8-2013 by tanda7 because: innocent till...works both ways

edit on 26-8-2013 by tanda7 because: crazy things can happen in a trailer park

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

I wish the article had more to elaborate on the charge of failure to take eyewitness reports. Plural, as I read the meaning there. I'm not sure who all saw it, but they describe a trailer and I do wonder if it's one in a remote lot or something in a residential area/trailer park. The witnesses could be diverse, with all that commotion. Even with my triple pane windows which work as much to kill sound as insulate? I couldn't miss 14 cops around for a call, anywhere in the general area.

Like other trials, the testimony tells all. We'll see, as updates come. Hopefully, I see them to share.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Given the police are now aware of suicide by cop, there are things in place e to be done, in such an instance. This is no different than than her standing on a roof top threatening to jump.
If she had fired on them, then, it's justifiable by cop standard.
But if she had not, rather than quell the situation, they executed her.
The key to this story is , they shot him too. There is no justification for that.

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   
S&F Wrabbit...It just seems that toooooo many cops are caught in an UN-truth and CYA while planting evidence....The cops (some cases reported and maybe not this one) appear to have decided to be Judge, Jury, and executioner all rolled into one....

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

they describe a trailer and I do wonder if it's one in a remote lot or something in a residential area/trailer park.
I haven't figured out how to embed the street view of an address but I took a look at google maps and it looks pretty remote. If you want to see for yourself it's at 123 Steven Dr. Reserve LA
Looks like it's mostly RV type trailers, probably the type of trailer park that houses traveling workers. In the current sat. photo the park looks pretty spread out.
The sign at the end of the road says RV park.

It's very possible there are few witnesses other than Doyle and the cops.

edit on 27-8-2013 by tanda7 because: sp

posted on Aug, 27 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Training the "goons" to be the sick #s they are, and instilling the attitude they are working in a battle zone and must respond with superior firepower immediately, leaves these ill educated louts few other options but to respond with overwhelming force to ANY situation they encounter,.It is just plain asking for it....
The problem lies with the people getting policed......to some degree......
This is not BAD police conduct.....this is an example of stupid people following their heavily compromised "standard operating proceedures"
These people are never trained to use their heads before their weapons......that's the sickness we face....

top topics

join