It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Empires and Borders

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Humanity has a basic nature which prompts itself to constant isolationism, conquest and expansion. This trend, however, will eventually wind up with a singular result; world domination of one culture. How and when that happens will be the most important, if not deadliest, event in the history of mankind.

We are a fractious species, ever looking for a reason to find fault or weakness in another and to use those excuses to demonize, ridicule and foster a lethal hatred toward 'them'. Whether it is a case of facetious religious or political differences, it really is just another case of tribalism; the idea of us verses the other and it has been going on forever.

Chest thumping patriotism, religious intolerance and simple greed work together to inflame populations within the confines of arbitrary borders to build the machinery of war and expansionism in the hope of subjugating their neighbours. Everywhere in the world is fear and hatred as a result.

It will stop one day, even if only for a few years, because it is the inevitable result of empire building. The overpowering urge for global domination, from Alexander the Great, through Hitler and on to the latest version of economic warfare, rolls on like waves upon the shore, slowly but surely eroding all resistance.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Until the nation state is no more this will continue, this idiotic run for the top.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

To deny our very own genetic heritage towards aggression; that which has saved us as a species in times not long past, is in fact the ultimate act of ignorance. (Lack of knowledge of our species, NOT an insult)

While Darwin's theories have been somewhat shown to be misleading, his assertions and findings of "Survival of the Fittest" have been shown to be true time and time again. While some would like to just disregard our aggressive heritage for a life "skipping through the fields of daisies", that is unrealistic and only serves to indicate a victim mentality.

We are an aggressive species and it has not been that long ago we had to be. In comparison to other species on this planet, we are still very young and to imagine we can overcome one of our most important and strongest genetic traits just because "we want to", is the height of arrogance and lack of understanding of us as a species

Just my thoughts

Semper

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
reply to post by masqua

To deny our very own genetic heritage towards aggression; that which has saved us as a species in times not long past, is in fact the ultimate act of ignorance. (Lack of knowledge of our species, NOT an insult)

Who's denying it? Not me, that's for sure. The video only represents 1 millennium out of more than 200 of just Homo Sapiens Sapiens and I have no doubt our aggressive behaviour has been a factor for almost our entire existence. The point of the OP is looking at the 'End Result' because, over the largest part of our time here, we have become exceedingly proficient at empire building. Having progressed from warring city-states to warring countries over the recent past, it is only natural that the next step in our future will be warring continents (much like Orwell foretold of in 1984).

While Darwin's theories have been somewhat shown to be misleading, his assertions and findings of "Survival of the Fittest" have been shown to be true time and time again. While some would like to just disregard our aggressive heritage for a life "skipping through the fields of daisies", that is unrealistic and only serves to indicate a victim mentality.

Once again, who is disregarding our aggressive heritage? To reiterate my point: It is the inescapable consequence OF that aggressive heritage which will inevitably establish 'one power to control them all' (to paraphrase a key line from The Lord of the Rings trilogy). Our compulsion to universal control demands an 'End Result' which cannot be held back. At some point looming in our near future, whether this generation, the next or the one after that, one superpower or another is going to make the attempt. Couple that thought with the current military capability of those various superpowers and I wonder how the expected grab for world domination will materialize itself.

We are an aggressive species and it has not been that long ago we had to be. In comparison to other species on this planet, we are still very young and to imagine we can overcome one of our most important and strongest genetic traits just because "we want to", is the height of arrogance and lack of understanding of us as a species

Our inherent aggressive nature will continue to work toward the old idea of world domination and, once that has been accomplished, only then will the wars stop, even if it is only a momentary lapse because of the urge to rebel against the control of a single 'government'. Like waves pulverizing a shoreline, we will continue towards that global empire until it is firmly established.

edit on 24/8/13 by masqua because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Yah, lines on maps. Surely an advancement from "drawing lines in the dirt." The ultimate in, "Oh yah? Now cross this one, and this one." You think we will ever really grow up?

When I was a kid this image had the most profound effect on me.

Recently this one made me think again. Its a picture of earth and the moon taken by Cassini from saturn.

No borders or pissing contests visible from here.

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing that! I dropped it into my own youtube collection and will be sharing it up at the school. I'm sure a couple instructors will love that for the simple way it shows such dramatic change over time. I'd sure never seen it quite that way for the whole picture in moving transition. Always changing....and in such odd ways to see it that way!

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
That is crazy, seems like we are destined for perpetual war.
A one world government would extend the lifespan of our species , but at what cost????

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Well said, both in word and image
but also brings up another interesting possibility.

If there ever should be an event which would immediately stop all earthly wars, it would be a threat from 'out there somewhere'... a new enemy which would force a temporary global cooperation to fight. If not found to be a threat, it may still cause somewhat of a shift in the human instinct toward aggression, if only due to the huge culture shock such a discovery might produce.

The future is a dimly lit room with lots of surprises hidden in the shadows.

edit on 24/8/13 by masqua because: clarity

posted on Aug, 24 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

If there ever should be an event which would immediately stop all earthly wars, it would be a threat from 'out there somewhere'... a new enemy which would force a temporary global cooperation to fight. If not found to be a threat, it may still cause somewhat of a shift in the human instinct toward aggression, if only due to the huge culture shock such a discovery might produce.

The "Big" intervention, huh?

Depending on ones point of view there are historical precedents. World religions promote several versions of a "Judgment Day" for lack of a better term. But thats thought of mostly as an end to all hostilities I think, not the beginning of a new round.

In the UFO genre there is the interesting story of an "object" hovering outside an ICBM facility and "switching off" the missiles. Whether or not one gives this or other such stories credence they are my favorite kind of hope for that future.

Been wondering why nobody has decided to play "Global Thermonuclear War" yet. That history of empire building in the YouTube you brought shows how ignorant we are of the consequences of our actions. It may be world rulers who started all that empire building but they would not have carried it out without ordinary people.

And none of the ancients possessed nukes...

edit on 24-8-2013 by intrptr because: changed

top topics

join