It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'No Muslim parking' signs spark outrage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   

I think perhaps a dumbass thought that Mosque and Muslim were interchangeable

That's pretty close to what probably happened, IMO. Someone charged with the signage didn't think the words through, thinking Muslims would be the ones going to the mosque.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

And Pathetic.

Even though these folks have the right to refuse anyone from coming to their establishment, or parking in their lot, they dont have the right to refuse someone based on their RELIGION or ETHNICITY. Period.

Why though...what laws did they break? Does the store owner (or possibly lease owner) not have property rights? As crass as it is, what does it violate?

Umm the Federal Civil Rights Act....lol

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by ownbestenemy

No laws actually.

Its just common sense that this would be offensive to Muslims. Who is next? Blacks? I know OBE, It doesn't violate any laws but some would argue neither did segregated schools in the 50-60's. I just think we move two steps backwards when we play games with this type of thinking. MHO

Offensive yes and allow the community to decide the fate of that business. Many people can care less (even during segregation times) about black/white politics. People wanted service, wanted products and wanted the best. Who served them, wasn't an issue (save a few entrenched areas; but is that really the job of the Federal Government?).

In this case here. I suspect the owner of the parking lot was fed up with the influx of cars that took up space for paying customers. He should have worded it better I wholly agree. He is well within his rights to restrict that parking lot to penguins in tuxedos and having a flower in one flipper if he so thinks it will serve his business(es)..

In this case. I say let the community he serves dictate the pressure; not some over obsessed media who wants to dictate how we feel.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jahari

Specifically what part? What part did this man violate?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Yes it is just as bad. Btw whites are considered ethic also. The could have simply read "Customer parking only". Period. No need to say mosque, muslim, jewish, christian or "ethnic" . The sign maker is prejudice plain and simple.

You do know that being prejudice is not against the law right? I choose not to deal with many things in my daily life based off my personal predujices.....am I in violation of the law?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Refusing someone because of religion. The wording will be enough to win a case if its pursued by the mosque. If I was a lawyer I'd be all over this. Open and shut just in time for Christmas!!!

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Yes it is just as bad. Btw whites are considered ethic also. The could have simply read "Customer parking only". Period. No need to say mosque, muslim, jewish, christian or "ethnic" . The sign maker is prejudice plain and simple.

You do know that being prejudice is not against the law right? I choose not to deal with many things in my daily life based off my personal predujices.....am I in violation of the law?

No sir it is illegal when used to refuse someone service.

www.legalzoom.com...

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   

www.legalzoom.com...

What service is this person refusing? They are limiting the use of their private property. In your reasoning, I want to use your home for my religious service -- if you refuse, you are breaking the law.....

You do see the issue here right?

I am not arguing his method was correct -- it was crass and idiotic. His rights though are not trumped by another solely based off some legislation.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   

www.legalzoom.com...

What service is this person refusing? They are limiting the use of their private property. In your reasoning, I want to use your home for my religious service -- if you refuse, you are breaking the law.....

You do see the issue here right?

I am not arguing his method was correct -- it was crass and idiotic. His rights though are not trumped by another solely based off some legislation.

Your overlooking the word "muslim" that alone made it illegal.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Jahari

So I want to have a Muslim based service on your lawn. You refuse, I will sue you for "civil rights violation" -- all according to you by the way....

Do you still not see this:? By the way, I am serious, I want to use your private property to conduct my business.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I almost forgot about your example. Your assuming you know my ethnicity, religion, gender and sexual preference. We can be identical along those lines. My house however is private property not public. Why argue with what I'm sure you know is illegal?

Oh btw sure you can use my house as long as your not a jehovas witness...lol jk jw's
edit on 21-8-2013 by Jahari because: adding

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   

I almost forgot about your example. You assuming you know my ethnicity, religion, gender and sexual preference. We can be identical along those lines. My house however is private property not public. Why argue with I'm sure you know is illegal?

And this parking lot is what? It isn't owned by the city -- it is.........wait for it.........private property. You can try bullying me, it isn't going to work because I wouldn't have engaged otherwise.

It is okay though. I can return the favor -- just admit you are wrong here. It is okay.

By the way -- when did I EVER assume your ethnicity or religion? Nice red-herring though. Tell you what, the school bus is over there; take it and come back when you can hang my friend.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Refusing someone because of religion. The wording will be enough to win a case if its pursued by the mosque. If I was a lawyer I'd be all over this. Open and shut just in time for Christmas!!!

Unfortunately Jahari is right. Since the US is no longer a free country with any real property rights the owner would lose this one in a flash. Geez, Obama himself would probably weigh in on this just to create more division.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Dont Worry OWB.......

Lets throw irony into the mix of "right or wrong", eh?

"We know this is unpopular," she admits, but if her organization helps the International Keystone Knights of the KKK, it is not because it agrees with their beliefs. It will be based on legal precedent and a legal view of whether the KKK's freedom of speech has been violated. In a nearly identical case in Missouri in 2005, a court ruled that the state discriminated against the KKK by denying it participation in a program open to all organizations.

KKK wants ACLU help to adopt highway

BTW, Thanks for making me think about it.........

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

I almost forgot about your example. You assuming you know my ethnicity, religion, gender and sexual preference. We can be identical along those lines. My house however is private property not public. Why argue with I'm sure you know is illegal?

And this parking lot is what? It isn't owned by the city -- it is.........wait for it.........private property. You can try bullying me, it isn't going to work because I wouldn't have engaged otherwise.

It is okay though. I can return the favor -- just admit you are wrong here. It is okay.

By the way -- when did I EVER assume your ethnicity or religion? Nice red-herring though. Tell you what, the school bus is over there; take it and come back when you can hang my friend.

You used my house as an example as to why I would refuse you. I can refuse you for many legal reasons. There you go again "assuming" you know who owns the parking lot. Look even if they own it its illegal to say no muslims period.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The store has a right to limit the use of parking to customers. Unless a Muslim is not allowed to park and shop or other religions can just park there without shopping then it should be moot. Outside of this context I really doubt a case would stand up. Doesn't the intent matter.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

You used my house as an example as to why I would refuse you. I can refuse you for many legal reasons. There you go again "assuming" you know who owns the parking lot. Look even if they own it its illegal to say no muslims period.

But wait...you claim you have private property right no? Does this person not? What makes him different than you? You "assume" that I am not Muslim -- I am offended. I demand to use you property as I see fit!

You are in a losing battle here you know this right?

Post Script:

Parking lots are not public property.....just a bit of FYI
edit on 21-8-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I see you can't handle being wrong.

So are you saying all parking lots are public property? Please say yes and show how totally misinformed you are.
edit on 21-8-2013 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

You do know that it was a shopping center/mall so I'm sure the store owner don't own the parking lot.

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Exactly, allow the ideas of free people to flourish (or die) in the free market exchange of ideas. The State can not deny the KKK to adopt a highway no more than they can of an abortion clinic. If they did, I would be defending the rights of the abortion clinic even if it was against my personal beliefs.....my literal forefather fought for this.

John Adams Defends British Soldiers

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   

I see you can't handle being wrong.

So are you saying all parking lots are public property? Please say yes and show how totally misinformed you are.

You are assuming they are. This lot is not the Governments.....what are you missing. It is a private lot. Either you are trolling or are so obtuse you just cannot see that.

I never said all lots are public nor have I said they are all private. It is a case by case issue. If we are talking about the County Courthouse...then we have a different stance -- but that isn't what we are talking about now is it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join