It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'No Muslim parking' signs spark outrage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Really??? No.. I mean, seriously. Stop and think... REALLY?! You gotta read this one to believe it. If ever in my life I have seen a situation that screams for a lesson about "How NOT to put things", this does. In screaming block type about 20 feet high and glowing in bright neon.

In black letters, the signs reads, "No Muslim parking in the Westview Shopping Center. Your car will be towed."

The posters lined the street near the El Farouq Mosque, where Muslims heading to worship services said they were were offended.

Umm.. Okay, Houston, we have a problem. (This really happened in Houston too, so it fits!
)

I don't know quite how to explain this to some folks...but here goes. There are about 7 billion other folks on this big rock of ours. Of those, about 1.2-1.3 Billion are practicing Muslims. Now that's a WHOLE LOT of other folks to be saying can't park in that public parking lot.

The El Farouq Mosque sits across the street from the shopping center. Store employees did not want to go on camera for KPCR but did say they get angry when mosque members park in their lot, taking up spots meant for customers.

With the Muslim monthlong fast for the holy month of Ramadan ending and a crowd expected at the mosque, the signs anonymously appeared.
Source

Now lets stop and consider this little situation for a moment. The story indicates the Mosque sits across the street from this shopping center. Okay, I can picture this and it's entirely possible the Mosque was a little too conservative (read: cheap) in allotting for parking spaces in their lot planning. It happens and I can sure see why neighbors wouldn't much care for hosting the overflow. No one likes that.

Anyone who has ever been to a fair, sporting event or other gathering that people know in advance will overwhelm parking can probably attest to seeing signs on other lots saying 'stay out' for event parking.

I wonder though......could they...just maybe..have said Mosque parking and NOT included a good % of the humans on Earth in their little statement? The article also mentions no one will admit to posting them, although a center employee says the shopping center owner did the dirty deed. He says no, in the same breath apparently, as saying he will be towing anyone who shouldn't be there ..and he promises, taking down any more offensive signs.

Well golly, I'm sure glad to hear he'll be doing that. :shk: Word might get out and people could be offended or something.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I think perhaps a dumbass thought that Mosque and Muslim were interchangeable. Or perhaps the guy in charge of this just had a huge brainfart and messed up.

I have seen Certified Pubic Accountants, _____'s First Erection (outside a building) etc...

--------------------

Annnnnd I just read the article. I am keeping the original post I made to highlight why we should all read the article and the OP. So we don't look like dumbasses.
edit on 20-8-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

-------------------

Annnnnd I still think I may be right. Let no one say Domo won't admit to his dumbassery though.
edit on 20-8-2013 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Let no make a big deal, is just a littler grammatical error, we all know that they mean Mosque no Muslim.

I feel that if somebody parks in the mall area and goes across the street to the Mosque and do not purchase anything from the Mall should have their cars toll away.

How about that.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

The owner was probably really torqued off about all the mosque attendee's using his lot and went for the cheap shot. Obviously "No Mosque Parking" would have been sufficient but you know, it just wouldn't have the zing of of his original artwork.

He could have used any number of more PC statements but hey, as you said this is Texas.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yeah, sometimes I wish these news services would make proper paragraphs so I could quote more in % and make a better share but when they break it up into tweet sizer paragraphs? Well... The whole 'how much is fair use' thing is as much in the eye of the beholder who decides they want to get fiesty about it sometimes as the law which isn't specific itself..so shoot.. I guess I'd just say this is one to read.

My somewhat light and almost laughing tone wasn't in humor to the offensive situation, but as you saw..reading the whole thing? It's so outrageous, it's funny to see it actually get done. Just... wacky levels of 'Really???'....

I had to stop and think while reading it..and I almost opened photoshop to DO it..but CNN might actually have been mad about that on their own graphic. How would that look if you swapped Muslim for Christian and LINED the STREET with them..not simply inside the parking lot in question. I'd be pretty mad then and really think Church would have been a lot better.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Yeah.. You got it. The site I mod at is based in that part of Texas so I've gotten a lot of local info through there about the Muslim community building up and really expanding in and around Houston, out toward Katy. (Good Bass pro Shop in Katy I used to deliver to..but I digress.. lol) the local tensions seem to be a real thing going by that info.

That kinda adds to the whole thing doing it. It's not as bad as saying, say, 'No Black Parking' down the street from an ethnic Church instead of 'Church'...but he sure whacked a gong by doing it I'll bet. Even CAIR picked up on it.
edit on 20-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

RIGHT, That's it Rabbit.

I've had a gut full of idiots.

I'll say it again, this level of stupidity should be classified as a disease.

Get me off this bloody planet........PLEASE!

I'm with the freaky lookin cat - I'm having a brainfart getting my head around this ship!!!!!

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Strewth

I've had a gut full of idiots.

I'll say it again, this level of stupidity should be classified as a disease.

Are you saying the owner is an idiot for putting up that particular sign or that he's an idiot for really disliking Muslims who use his parking lot when not shopping there?

Since it's a mall type parking lot he probably already has signs posted about appropriate parking. He should have just called the tow company. They would have made a bundle.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

that particular sign

I think its obvious really, don't you?

edit on 20-8-2013 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
That link is taking forever to load on my computer here (maybe I need a reboot already...) Forgive me for not sitting around until the next epoch for it to finish loading, I'm going to go on assumptions here instead for now, and will read it later after I reboot.

If the mosque was a church and the sign instead said "no Christian parking", I think I'd just assume they meant "don't park your overflow on my lot", but were aiming for a very attention-grabbing way of putting it. If that was the idea for this mall, then I'd say they got that attention alright. Next step: actually say that to the mosque property owners now that they're focused on the mall.

If that's not what they were going for, then yeah, that's being a blatant bigot for no good reason.

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
I don't know quite how to explain this to some folks...but here goes. There are about 7 billion other folks on this big rock of ours. Of those, about 1.2-1.3 Billion are practicing Muslims. Now that's a WHOLE LOT of other folks to be saying can't park in that public parking lot.

Not defending but it isn't a 'public parking lot' as that lot is probably owned by a private interest. Right or wrong (more likely an idiotic sentiment), they reserve all Rights.

The El Farouq Mosque sits across the street from the shopping center. Store employees did not want to go on camera for KPCR but did say they get angry when mosque members park in their lot, taking up spots meant for customers.

Ah! The real reason. Well they could have worded it better to: "Customer Parking Only" or "Patrons of Shopping Center X Only" or even "No Event Parking".

On word usage I give a fail. On asserting their Rights...I stand with them. Just need to use the brain a bit more...
edit on 20-8-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

LOL - correct.

Check your PM.............stranger

Good to see you back, hope you are feeling OK

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublimecraft

Yes, understandable but still ridiculous.
2nd

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

They certainly have the right to sign and enforce towing on their property and the Mosque has the 'duty', if not legal obligation to encourage their people not to park in neighboring lots that don't want them. No question either way there in my mind. Legally, there isn't an issue.

Common sense wise? I guess there are ways of saying things to get a point across and then ways of saying things that just drop kick a person to make the point. The wording of the sign and the lining of the street? It made as much a political statement by lining the public street as being to the cars coming in for signing the parking lot, I'd say.

It's not as bad as the Idiot preacher planning to burn a little under 3000 Qurans again this year on 9/11, for offensiveness..but someone sure gave it the good 'ol college try,

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Agreed but each has the freedom of conscience to do so; the preacher and the owner of this parking lot (sorry plugging my post on this matter but will not; shall not link it!)

It is why many during the debates of the Civil Rights movement and the subsequent "Civil Rights Act" were opposed to such measures that allowed the Federal Government (or even the State Governments) to dictate the private actions of a citizen; regardless of their motives.

Bonehead move? Yep. Word it better and no one would care. In the wrong or even needing a call from CAIR? Get a lawyer and prepare to defend your basic rights; mainly the right and freedom of conscience.

And why are individuals so worried they will offend someone? The preacher? Burn away baby and watch your congregation dwindle...."no Muslim parking?" Watch your business; or rather your shopping center's business drop...free market is amazing when we allow to work with a free people.
edit on 20-8-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

1. The signs were anonymous.

2. The store denies responsibility.

3. Store intends to take down any signs they could find although they still maintain their parking policy.

Maybe the Muslims decided to take a hint from their Christian brothers and invent controversy for attention?
edit on 20-8-2013 by Wertdagf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
nm
edit on 21-8-2013 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

And Pathetic.

Even though these folks have the right to refuse anyone from coming to their establishment, or parking in their lot, they dont have the right to refuse someone based on their RELIGION or ETHNICITY. Period.

Why though...what laws did they break? Does the store owner (or possibly lease owner) not have property rights? As crass as it is, what does it violate?

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

No laws actually.

Its just common sense that this would be offensive to Muslims. Who is next? Blacks? I know OBE, It doesn't violate any laws but some would argue neither did segregated schools in the 50-60's. I just think we move two steps backwards when we play games with this type of thinking. MHO

posted on Aug, 21 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrabbit2000
reply to post by Bassago

Yeah.. You got it. The site I mod at is based in that part of Texas so I've gotten a lot of local info through there about the Muslim community building up and really expanding in and around Houston, out toward Katy. (Good Bass pro Shop in Katy I used to deliver to..but I digress.. lol) the local tensions seem to be a real thing going by that info.

That kinda adds to the whole thing doing it. It's not as bad as saying, say, 'No Black Parking' down the street from an ethnic Church instead of 'Church'...but he sure whacked a gong by doing it I'll bet. Even CAIR picked up on it.
edit on 20-8-2013 by wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Yes it is just as bad. Btw whites are considered ethic also. The could have simply read "Customer parking only". Period. No need to say mosque, muslim, jewish, christian or "ethnic" . The sign maker is prejudice plain and simple.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join