It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live updates: Violence across Egypt after Cairo sit-ins attacked

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

No I don't think they were peaceful because they haven't been very peaceful since the start, although they'll claim they're peaceful right before they attack a police officer or a police station or block roads with make shift barricades.

There is nothing peaceful about the Muslim Brotherhood.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

No I don't think they were peaceful because they haven't been very peaceful since the start, although they'll claim they're peaceful right before they attack a police officer or a police station or block roads with make shift barricades.

There is nothing peaceful about the Muslim Brotherhood.

15:25 In Kafr El-Sheikh city, north of Cairo, a 25-year-old pregnant woman from the city of Hamoul was shot dead and 12 others were injured by gunshot wounds during clashes with security. Several security personnel were injured during the clashes at Nasr Square where thousands of pro-Morsi protesters had gathered. The security personnelwere transported to hospital.

14:25 The Brotherhood’s official spokesperson Gehad El-Haddad announced that Asmaa Mohamed El-Beltagi, the 17-year-old daughter of Brotherhood figure Mohamed El-Beltagi, has been killed during the security crackdown on the Rabaa Al-Adawiya sit-in.

15:10 The UK's Sky News TV channel confirmed the death of its cameraman Mick Deane in the Cairo as he was covering the dispersal of a pro-Morsi sit-in in Rabaa. In an official statement the news network said, “Mick was part of a Sky News team reporting on the disturbances in the city with Middle East Correspondent Sam Kiley when he was shot and wounded. Despite receiving medical treatment for his injuries, he died shortly afterwards.” According to the statement, Deane, 61, had worked with Sky News as a camera operator for 15 years and was married with two sons.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The people in the Egyptian military are the sons and daughters of normal Egyptians.
When Mubarak was in power they would not open fire on their own relatives who were the protestors in the streets.
This is different, all the protestors now are muslim brotherhood supporters, who were oppressing their relatives when the MB was in power a short while ago.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   

There's violence from sides but cherry picking from the updates to paint it as though the pro MB/Morsi supporters are innocent victims is false. I remember when millions of anti Morsi/MB protesters gathered there wasn't anywhere near this kind of violence.

18:10 The Coptic Orthodox Church has condemned the continued attacks on churches and Christian properties on Wednesday.

Angry mobs attacked and torched tens of Christian properties including churches, monasteries, schools and shops, in a number of locations in Egypt including Alexandria, Suez, and a number of cities in Upper Egypt.

In a statement, the church called on the Egyptian armed forces to help the police in maintaining security.

17:40 The leftist group the Egyptian Popular Current, led by ex-presidential candidate Hamdeen Sabbahi, holds the Muslim Brotherhood responsible for Wednesday’s violence on the grounds that the Islamist group has “chosen a standoff scenario with the state.”

“We reject the Brotherhood’s attempt to enlarge the circle of violence in Cairo and the governorates, as well as their targeting of churches and police stations,” said the group’s statement, released on Wednesday evening.

The Popular Current further called on the Egyptian people to support the police and the army in “confronting terrorism and upholding popular will.”

17:35 State television and private channel ONTV are showing pictures of a steady stream of supporters of Mohamed Morsi leaving the Rabaa sit-in with their hands in the air. State television reports that they have been offered a safe exit by the interior ministry.

17:10 In Sohag, two have been reported killed and eight injured, including three CSF conscripts, by live fire from pro-Morsi demonstrators in Thaqafa Square, according to Ahram Arabic.

Morsi supporters set ablaze several shops in the square’s vicinity and in front of the main Coptic Orthodox church. The fire has been successfully put out.

16:45 Scuffles are ongoing in Al-Haram Street in Giza, near Al-Nahda Square, as protesters move to set up a stage at Nasr Al-Din street in an effort to establish a sit-in. Police fired teargas to disperse the crowds. Ahram Arabic reports that police also prevented an attempt to break into the nearby Al-Talebeya police station.

16:20 The interior ministry announced it has arrested 543 people allegedly involved in clashes and riots in Cairo and several governorates nationwide.

In a statement the intefior ministry said that those arrested had "automatic weapons, birdshot and ammunition."

16:15 Supporters of Morsi set fire to a military building in Marsa Matrouh in western Egypt, reported Ahram Arabic news website. Clashes have been ongoing between supporters of Morsi and security forces since this morning.

15:55 Violence continues in governorates all over Egypt this afternoon.

In Sharqiya governorate, one person is confirmed dead and three injured during an attempt to storm the Abu-Kebir police station, a health official told Ahram Arabic website.

In Luxor, three were injured during clashes between supporters and opponents of Morsi. Pro-Morsi supporters torched a hotel and several shops owned by Egyptian Christians.

In Beni Suef, Morsi supporters took over a police station in Al-Wasty district seizing weapons, reported Ahram Arabic website. Supporters of Morsi and security forces have been exchanging gunfire, leaving at least seven confirmed injured.

In Assiut, Morsi supporters torched a court building, throwing Molotov cocktails after they failed to storm the building, reported Ahram Arabic website.

A church was also set ablaze in the city of Assiut.

In Daqahliya governorate’s Mansoura, residents clashed with supporters of Morsi when attempting to build a wall to block the Al-Geish road, reported Ahram Arabic.

15:45 In the city of Tanta in Gharbiya governorate, locals formed a human shield around the Mar Girgis church to protect it after Morsi supporters attacked it with stones, reported Ahram Arabic.

You completely ignored all that and there is so much more I could post

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I don't understand how this isn't generating more interest on ATS. I checked out a few other threads on the subject and there are less than 10 flags on any of them.

This could possibly be a tipping point in the Middle East with the possibilties of violence spreading across boarders, civil war or revolt but no one seems to care. I dont get it.

Protestors push security vehicle off bridge

edit on 14-8-2013 by haveblue because: grammer

edit on 14-8-2013 by haveblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by haveblue

I find ATS doesn't really care about what happens in the Middle East. Even threads about the military coup got little attention.

This site is what it is. Now if you make a thread attacking Obama you'll see some results.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I wouldn't be surprised if the worse would come from this. Because the Islamist are now the underdogs and will serve as influence others throughout the world; including Muslims in the Middle East fighting against rivals and their governments, Like Syria.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phoenix267

I wouldn't be surprised if the worse would come from this. Because the Islamist are now the underdogs and will serve as influence others throughout the world; including Muslims in the Middle East fighting against rivals and their governments, Like Syria.

Not only Syria...this could spark wider trouble in places like Europe.

When things like this happen it really makes me think that people in general are so bombarded/overloaded with information, or so "conditioned" to believe only what's in front of them, that they never bother even considering to scale the box that they are living in to look over the top and see what else is going on.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MrSpad

The Brotherhood are extremists. Extremism gets into their political values a whole hell of a lot more than it does with the GOP.

People don't like extremists. Radical groups that want to dictate. Radical groups who have a desire for micromanaging everyone. Everyone. No... people don't like that.

Sisi is in the right, people can cry, say its evil, say whatever.... but Sisi is in the right here, regardless of what it may look like from someone elses living room. People should try looking at it from the living room of those who do not wish to be oppressed by radical extremists....

Imagine a political party who said women cannot be in politics, imagine a political party who took women's rights back a couple hundred years, imagine a political party who, once they took power, said the supreme court was fired, imagine a political party who wanted to change EVERYTHING here....

what would you want if it was you and your country?

Later, if the military becomes a problem, eqypt will fight again, but right now, the military is fulfilling a need with the force that IS needed to expel that which is wrong and evil before it gets too powerful to be stopped.

Egyptians need to take care of Egypt. Its not our call.... its theirs. But don't go feeling sorry for the extremists no matter what they try and make themselves into. They want to be martyrs, let them.
edit on 14-8-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-8-2013 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

That would be scary if it spread to Europe. Because already everything is so very confusing. There are many contradictions in the news that I cannot believe one report. Are we in bed with the terrorist that want to destroy us? Or is there something else going on that we do not know about. The situation in Egypt is just scary. Scary because Americans are so unaware of what is happening and how propaganda is changing the truth to emotion.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
All part of the plan to destabilize Egypt, turn it into a security threat to israel which will force Israel into the Sinai and take control of the Sinai.

Something Israel has been waiting on doing for decades, to promote their Greater Israel plicy and to have another Port to their south.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Morsi was Democratically elected by the people who could be bothered to vote, once he was in power those who didn't bother to vote didn't like that Democratic decision and decide to protest and cause disruption en masse....
But hey, Anti Morsi Good Guys, Pro Morsi Bad..

One fact i have not completely overlooked is the fact USA/UK are giving the Egyptian Miltary 1.5 Billion dollars in Arms Deals.

Is it just a coincidence that wherever there is Chaos, the USA/UK is never too far away.

I wish More people would get off their fat butts and take on the real evil doers of this world.

We talk about it here all the time, how our rights are being eroded week after week by TPTB.
How this amendment is now being trashed and not worth the paper it's written on. How our Human rights are not being observed.
We talk about TSHTF just about every day, but that's all we ever seem to do..Talk.
But when some people do stand up for what they believe in. they are bad Evil doers...

Most of those i have seen on TV throwing stones and using catapults against Bullets, Tear gas and armoured trucks are Middle aged men in Flip Flops for christ sake, not exactly your Average Arabic/muslim.Terrorist special forces are they.

When the Anti Morsi Protestors were causing disruption, to appease the masses the Military removed him from power by a coup. When the pro Morsi protesters set up camp and caused disruption...Yesterday Happened.

You know why Christian Churches are being Targeted....it's because they cant get to the So called Christians Countries and leaders that are the root cause of Middle east Troubles..dont you see that??

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm not saying violence should be popular, but why isn't this getting more attention?

More than hundred dead, little kids getting killed, people being slaughtered, and people just dying all over the place.

If something like this was happening in America (Sandy Hook, Boston Bombing) it would be everywhere. What the hell is going on?

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandettas

It's them Bad Muslim people...No-one really cares any more...we have been conditioned.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
This just came in: 9:36 EST (USA) FYI

President Obama to make a statement soon about the situation in Egypt.

Get complete coverage of the statement on CNN.com... , CNN TV and CNN Mobile.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by haveblue
I don't understand how this isn't generating more interest on ATS. I checked out a few other threads on the subject and there are less than 10 flags on any of them.

This could possibly be a tipping point in the Middle East with the possibilties of violence spreading across boarders, civil war or revolt but no one seems to care. I dont get it.

Protestors push security vehicle off bridge

edit on 14-8-2013 by haveblue because: grammer

because its about conservative muslims getting killed. At least thats what it looks like, I wouldve pegged ATS for being anti-military anything especially when it comes to sit-in and protests for democracy but just like the brainwashed egyptians of cairo, the fear of islamists here is too great for sympathy.
edit on 16-8-2013 by DuneKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Now ATS are just confused because they like things all black and white and the reality and complexities of geo politics does not sit well with the narrative they are trying write.

That is an excellent statement-something I have never thought before.

I don't know much about this other than it's bad. The west media is painting the Muslim Brotherhood who won the election were trying to enforce fundamentalist Islam on the Egyptian people. Is that true?

I have too much going on to try to understand this however that question lingers-why is all the media saying that?

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by spooky24

Oh yes, it's true. As soon as Morsi took office the Egyptians were protesting and never stopped. Morsi and his MB gang were trying to take over the government and instill Sharia Law.

posted on Aug, 16 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
One fact i have not completely overlooked is the fact USA/UK are giving the Egyptian Miltary 1.5 Billion dollars in Arms Deals.

Best money ever spent. If the Egyptian army was a shell of itself from lack of funding, fundamentalists like the Muslim Brotherhood would have never lost grip on power once they attained it. The proof is in the streets now.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join