It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Live updates: Violence across Egypt after Cairo sit-ins attacked

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Violence in Egypt is growing as pro Morsi/Muslim Brotherhood supporters continue their protests, blocking traffic, attacking police stations and engaging in firefights so in response the police are coming down hard on them. On the flip side, authorities are detaining journalist, beating them, and confiscating their belongings while stopping them from reporting. Ironically, Iran condemns the massacre of the protesters.

See link for full report

Police clear Giza sit-in and surround the larger Rabaa sit-in, with reports of dozens of protesters dead; clashes take place in Upper Egypt, Suez, and Alexandria

14:25 The Brotherhood’s official spokesperson Gehad El-Haddad announced that Asmaa Mohamed El-Beltagi, the 17-year-old daughter of Brotherhood figure Mohamed El-Beltagi, has been killed during the security crackdown on the Rabaa Al-Adawiya sit-in.
14:20 Ahram Online’s Sam Kimball was in Mohandiseen around an hour ago, where a sit-in is now underway by hundreds of protesters.

Kimball reports that birdshot and teargas was being fired by security forces into the Mohandiseen sit-in which is located next Mostafa Mahmoud Mosque. Kimball reports hearing sounds of gunfire but was unable to confirm whether they were live rounds.

The Morsi supporters have constructed makeshift barriers using benches torn up from nearby streets to partially block traffic in Gamat El-Dowal Street, protecting the sit-in. Burning tyres have been put around the perimeter.

Protester Hassam told Kimball: “I’m with the January 25 revolution. But 75 percent of the people who were in it have abandoned us. They’ve cut us into two groups, so the counterrevolution is beating us.”

His message to police: “If you break up our sit-in, we’ll make another one - no problem.”

14:15 Six security personnel –three officers and three conscripts – have been killed by gunfire while breaking up the Rabaa Al-Adawiya camp, a security source told state news agency MENA.

Sixty-six others were injured in the process.

There are some more official figures for injuries in various governorates. Seven people have been killed and 96 injured in clashes in Beheira, Beni Suef, Suez and Minya governorates, according to official health ministry figures.

14:10 Journalists in Egypt are reportedly encountering difficulties when they try to cover the violence.

Correspondent for the Daily Beast Mike Giglio writes on Twitter that he was “arrested, beaten by securtity forces and then held at a local arena.” He writes that his laptop, wallet and mobile phone were confiscated and not returned, and that freelance Egyptian photojounralist Mahmoud Abou Zeid was detained with him and is yet to be released.

“Authorities knew full well that I’m a jouranlist while arresting me today. It actually seemed to get me some extra punches,” Giglio writes.

14:00 At least 9 people have been killed in Fayoum following fighting at police stations between protesters and security forces, Reuters reports.

Morsi supporters had attacked two police stations in the city. which lies 130km south of Cairo.

Egyptian Security Forces Kill More Than 100 Protesters Over 1000 More Injured

Egypt security forces clash in deadly protest camp raids 14 August 2013 /Bloody clashes in Cairo

Egypt protests '100 dead' as security forces in Cairo clear out camps and fire tear gas

Reports More Than 600 Protesters Have Been Killed By Security Forces In Egypt

Egypt declares one-month state of emergency

CAIRO, Aug 14 (Reuters) - The Egyptian presidency announced a one-month state of emergency across the country on Wednesday and ordered the armed forces to help the Interior Ministry enforce security. The announcement made on state TV followed countrywide clashes between supporters of deposed President Mohamed Mursi and the security forces.

edit on 14-8-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Things will continue to degrade as the Egyptian military tries to tighten its grip over the country. Recent reports are claiming that military leaders are being installed as overseers of Egyptian provinces. Its becoming harder for people to deny that this is looking more and more like a true military coup...Though many believed this was far from a reestablishing of democracy.

I fear the violence will only get worse.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Yes I have just heard that a Sky TC Cameraman has been killed, why on earth are Muslims and there culture are so nasty to others? they destroy old buildings 1000s of years old, they kill kids, women, really nasty culture I feel, thank heavens we are now seeing the light in the UK before it got too late.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Alternative4u

Yes because other culture, religion havnt done that right? How about the "western culture", or the "christian culture" destroying 1000´s of years old buildings, killing woman and children in foreign country right now? You see, the WHOLE world is cruel and f***ed up. Not just the Muslim world or culture or religion. All are equaly cruel and disturbed in the head.

The time when "good" vs "evil" is long over. There is no such thing anymore. Its a big grey zone with ALOT of people in this mess who is sick of it, those who blame other for being cruel but support other forms of cruelty, those who don´t care, and those who tries to stop it all, not just one side but all sides of this sh*t.

The world is totaly poopoo, but dont point fingers to a specific culture or race, or religion or group. Because all are guilty.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Here we go..The Muslim brotherhood aint gonna stand for this.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
For the record, I don't agree with the military, but since the public enforced coup the militairy has done the right thing.

Also the problem lies with the other Egyptian agencies who are killing rampantly. Like the police etc.
And just asking, but is ATS picking sides with the Muslim brotherhood now?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soloprotocol
Here we go..The Muslim brotherhood aint gonna stand for this.

Then they can die where they stand. I think that is what Egypt is making painfully clear and they've tried everything short of it.

I support Egypt because the alternative for them is to become another Gaza or Libya or Syria. Always on the verge of fighting with a society based in negatives and hate for what people can't do and can't be, not what can happen. Egypt is fighting for it's very life and I hope to everything they have the stomach to see it through. The M.B. sure does and won't quit.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko

I didnt realize ATS had picked a side previously, did I miss the gathering where all ATS members agreed on picking a side?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk... Veteran Skynews camera man was shot and killed in Egypt.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Stand for it? They're down there fighting police, blocking roads, and protesting... while being killed.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nettlas

I didnt realize ATS had picked a side previously, did I miss the gathering where all ATS members agreed on picking a side?

Not only that but how did he come to the conclusion ATS sides with extremists?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   

edit on 14-8-2013 by Swills because: nvm

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Okay, excuse me for the poor wording I used, I tried to see where ATS stands on this?
I mean its obviously easy to blame the military now.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Stand for it? They're down there fighting police, blocking roads, and protesting... while being killed.

I dont understand what you are trying to tell me....

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Exactly,... Im confused. Time for a nap I think.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Really? Did you read the article in the OP?

reply to post by Nettlas

Wow there's 2 of you? Did you read the article in the OP? The two of you could also search engine articles from the past 2 months about Egypt to get caught up.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

Nooo nonono see, I was agreeing WITH YOU
Thats why I did an reply post to you, wehere I said "Exactly" regaaeding taking sides.
Hey man, read the posts

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nettlas

Oh gezz, you're right. I think its time for my nap!

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Okay, excuse me for the poor wording I used, I tried to see where ATS stands on this?
I mean its obviously easy to blame the military now.

ATS is confused because they were dumb enough to think the US backed the MB. So of course they could paint Obama, the US and the MB as bad guys with one neat brush. Then the military coup happened and it became clear the US was really backing the Egyptian military by saying they had no obligation to decide if what happened in Egypt was coup or not so they could ignore US law about cutting aid to countires that have elected leaders taken out by coups. So at ATS the US and Obama are evil thus their support of the Egytian military makes them evil. But, wait the MB is evil not because they are the far right religious values party of Egypt (like an Egyption GOP) but because they are Muslims. Now ATS are just confused because they like things all black and white and the reality and complexities of geo politics does not sit well with the narrative they are trying write.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swills

Really? Did you read the article in the OP?

reply to post by Nettlas

Wow there's 2 of you? Did you read the article in the OP? The two of you could also search engine articles from the past 2 months about Egypt to get caught up.

All i said was this Meal was good enough for Jehovah...wow, talk about a stoning...I was merely pointing out that The Muslin Brotherhood wont go away...situations like this will only strengthen their resolve....I'll bet most of those killed were peaceful protestors..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join