It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Team of scientists create cloned glow-in-the-dark rabbits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Team of scientists create cloned glow-in-the-dark rabbits

www.independent.co.uk...

Scientists have cloned a colony of rabbits that glow bright green in the dark, in an attempt to advance research into treatments for life-threatening illnesses.

Researchers based in Hawaii and Turkey produced a litter of eight rabbits, two of which glow green in the dark.

Dr. Stefan Moisyadi, a biogenesis researcher, said the rabbits are like "an LED light", during an interview with Khon2. "And on top of it, their fur is beginning to grow and the greenness is shining right through their fur. It’s so intense,” he added.

The florescent colouring is used to indicate that the genetic material injected into the embryos is incorporated into the rabbits' natural make up.

'It’s just a marker to show that we can take a gene that was not originally in the animal and now exists in the animal,' Dr Moisyadi explained.

Dr Moisyadi said the animals are not affected by the fluorescent protein and will have the same life span as other rabbits. “The green is only a marker to show that’s it’s working easily,” he said.

To produce the glow, researchers injected a fluorescent protein taken from jellyfish DNA into eight rabbit embryos. The embryos were then reinserted into the mother rabbit, leaving two to be born with the glowing gene.

The research follows similar experiments by scientists, who have genetically modified other animals to create glow in the dark kittens, puppies and monkeys.

They now plan to eventually introduce beneficial genes into larger animals to create less costly and more efficient medicines.

"...patients who suffer from hemophilia and they need the blood clotting enzymes in their blood, we can make those enzymes a lot cheaper in animals with barrier reactives rather than a factory that will cost billions of dollars to build"

The rabbits were born in Istanbul, Turkey and researchers are looking to eventually bring their work to the US.

www.medicalnewstoday.com...
news.cnet.com...

Related Link:
www.dailymail.co.uk...

The experiment, which used florescent protein from jellyfish, furthers the research started in the 1980s when glow in the dark mice were created.
Since then, scientists have recreated the experiment in kittens, puppies, monkeys and piglets.

While most glow green in the dark, in 2007 South Korean scientists managed to develop cats that glowed red under ultraviolet light, according to the Daily Telegraph.

Scientists hope the research will help them find a way to create cheaper medicine for genetic disorders such as hemophilia.

They plan to replicate the experiment in farm animals, which would then be used as bio-reactors that produce pharmaceuticals.

'[For] patients who suffer from hemophilia and they need the blood clotting enzymes in their blood, we can make those enzymes a lot cheaper in animals with barrier reactives rather than a factory that will cost billions of dollars to build,' Dr Moisyadi said.

Now they have successful created glow in the dark bunnies, the team is planning to create a florescent lamb by November.

The team would like to bring their research to the U.S. but said bureaucracy and fear of using transgenic animals has prevented it.

'At home, there is this hysteria that transgenic animals should not be used for anything,' Dr Moisyadi said.

edit on 14-8-2013 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Wow, there is so much genetic modifying going on that we don't even know about that it is scary what scientists will create next.

I feel sorry for those animals that are being experimented on, but at the same time scientific research is moving forward to find new ways of curing diseases and such in the human body.

Though this practice has been around for a few years now, I wonder how North Americans will handle the news of this type of science being done here?

What are your thoughts on this ATSers?

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
This isnt even tip of the iceberg!!
Can you imagine what they are doing to humans!! And they are because they can and the nature of things!

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RP2SticksOfDynamite

Can you imagine what they are doing to humans!! And they are because they can and the nature of things!

Please, calm down. You act like their decapitating rabbits and feeding them poison for fun or something.

Scientists have done things much worse than this. Their actually doing it to help people. It seems like every time there is any kind of advancement in science, people complain.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Just waiting for the CTer to pop up and say, "OMG the NWO is going to inject us with glow-worm genes so we all glow in the dark and we can never run away from them."

Although, great premise. Imagine a prison camp with glowing inmates, tough escapes for all.

The party/rave population might just love it however. No complaints there.
edit on 14-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

Originally posted by RP2SticksOfDynamite

Please, calm down. You act like their decapitating rabbits and feeding them poison for fun or something.

Scientists have done things much worse than this. Their actually doing it to help people. It seems like every time there is any kind of advancement in science, people complain.

You missed my point! Yes its in the interest of medical science and that is necessary!
My point was that this is only minor (yet good thing) that is done.
But with good always comes the bad and believe me there is far worse being done with humans! And if you think not then thats niaive!!
Oh. And dont tell me to calm down DS!
Thankyou and have a good day

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
How long to the first glowing human born.

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This was achieved by injecting jellyfish DNA into rabbit embryos, crazy and wacky stuff!!

They don't technically glow in the dark the way I was expecting, they glow under a blacklight...I was slightly disappointed after seeing the images then watching the video...Wish it was true glow in the dark, like a duncun yo-yo I have lol.

None the less this is very cool and thank you Op for finding and posting. S&F

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Tin foil moment. . . . . .

Imagine them (government) putting the marker in people with whom they want to track. The people only luminence under a specific light wave length.

". . . . . . Gee Betty, I love that glow about you!"

"Thanks! It's from my flu shot!"

posted on Aug, 14 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
Tin foil moment. . . . . .

Imagine them (government) putting the marker in people with whom they want to track. The people only luminence under a specific light wave length.

". . . . . . Gee Betty, I love that glow about you!"

"Thanks! It's from my flu shot!"

No, that is why the government wishes for people to have RFID chips implanted under their skin to be tracked by GPS. Forget the glowing aspect, they have infrared for that.

posted on Aug, 15 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

I wasn't aware this was a secret, especially since almost every glow in the dark critter has been in Time magazine.

As to the article. Cool. Never lose your rabbit again!

Once we get over the fear culture towards genetics things will get pretty awesome. Especially in the arena of space exploration, modifying our bodies to be more resilient to radiation and less gravity etc.

new topics

top topics

join