It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Remembrance Day

page: 1

join
share:
JAK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 05:09 AM
link   
A poppy for those who might want to display one.

www.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

At 1800 GMT, the Royal British Legion will stage a flypast and drop 1.3 million poppy petals above the Thames.

The petals - one for every British and Commonwealth service person killed in action since the beginning of World War I - will be dropped between Tower and Westminster bridges by an original World War II Douglas Dakota DC3 aircraft during a two-minute flypast.

The river will be lit up in red every night until Sunday when the Queen, accompanied by about 9,000 veterans, will lay a wreath at the Cenotaph.

Among the crosses, the occasional crescent or Star of David serves as a reminder Muslims and Jews have also laid down their lives for peace and freedom.

Jack

[Edited on 11/11/04 by JAK]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thank you Jak for bringing this up. It is Rememberance Day today in Canada as well. I just got back from a lovely service at my girls school. Songs, poems, very moving. We all should take time out to remember our men and women, past and present, that have given of themselves to let us all live as well as we do.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Bump, for our Commonwealth friends.

JAK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
While I'm around, if anyone would like a poppy added to their current Avatar just let me know.

Jack

[edit on 11/11/04 by JAK]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I'll take one Jak, If you don't mind.

JAK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Here deeprivergal

Jack

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i allready got me one

JAK

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Here bloodlust11009

Jack

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Thanks JAK! I am displaying it proudly

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
We call it Veterans Day in America

Its a good time to remember that some have given more than others.

And some have given everything.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
my grandfather recently died, although he didnt die at war i will always remember him on rememberence day, and i will thank him for his efforts when he was at war.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   
This is a good cause and I took the liberty of adding a poppy myself.

[Edited on 12-11-2004 by Durden]

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
mind if i get one?
my family didnt die in the war but my grandad was in the RAF, no hero stories from me though.

JAK

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Here Devilwasp, I hope this is ok.

Jack

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I'm with you Jack.

[edit on 12-11-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Nov, 9 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I don't have any relatives who have died in the war although I would like to pay my respects. These people went out and fought for what they believed was rights (be it that in fact it was yet another money making scam) These people saw horrific acts perpetrated by humans upon humans but also acts of great heroism and kindness.

Like modern warfare it doesn't matter what side you fight for, you are given information, you take in what you are told and you fight for what is right to you.
I can only guess that the people who wound up on those beaches whether they be UK, German, Canadian, US, Polish, Indian were # scared and went through what they went through to save their families and their countries.

They were brave people and they did what was right for them but let not us forget that the war, like so many others before and since have been unjust and unrequired and these wars cannot be fought without money, those who gave the money to those who would use it badly are the real enemies of this world.

I salute the brave men and women who fought in the war and the animals that were trained as bombs, you have done a service for what you thought was right and in doing so earned my respect and thanks whatever your country or side.

For those who created and fought in the war in the name of profit and power may you burn in hell.

[edit on 9/11/2008 by spitefulgod]

new topics

top topics

join