It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Post Apocalypse - what could you *not* live without?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
This is a list of what I would consider essential (importance in descending order). I assume sunlight and fresh air still exist, and that biodiversity is normal.

• Firstly, a steady supply of water (not necessarily drinkable) is important. A river is best, an ocean or sea would be good. Lakes too. I would guess that if you are on inland your best bet would be gathering enough resources for a trip to the coastline.

• Plenty of local flora. Timber, wood and leaves for utensils, constructions and fire; fruits, vegetables, roots for most of the eating, leaves and pigments for writing, existing plants for shelter. Fibers for clothing.

• Animal food in low amounts. Ideal would be some local fauna, or fish. Important for soap.

• Clay deposits - it may seem odd to include this but I consider it highly important. Can be found near water sources. Important for later stages, for example to make pottery and kilns. Metal ores could be used instead, but they are far harder to extract and use.

I think toothpaste isn't all that important (toothbrush included); you can use a water supply for personal hygiene. Serves also as toilet paper substitute. Other hygiene products could be furnished out of plants and properly cleaned.

As someone mentioned here, some sheets of paper and a pen would be nice. In my opinion it would do wonders for a head start and you can use it to improve intellectual work (for example, if you plan to make a utensil, or a shelter). Writing down ideas.

edit on 3-9-2013 by metallum because: Forgot clothing.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
weapons for sure, maybe a samurai sword?

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Easy. I would miss the internet. Easy access to almost limitless knowledge? What a horrible thing to lose. That's what I would miss most. Other things, there are work-arounds...but losing the ability to find an answer instantly? Ugh......

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Gazrok
Easy. I would miss the internet. Easy access to almost limitless knowledge? What a horrible thing to lose. That's what I would miss most. Other things, there are work-arounds...but losing the ability to find an answer instantly? Ugh......

True that, home skillet... Ha ha. I know how I feel after not having Internet access for a day!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Easy access to information, definitely!

...And toilet paper.

Mostly toilet paper.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Q-tips
Toothpaste
My daughters Asthma meds (I would steal them from every pharmacy I could) and do what I had to do to get them!!
Toilet paper
Milk

I dont think I would really miss TV, the internet, or cell phones at all. I didnt have any of those as a child (until I was 12) so it would not be a big deal!

S&F for you great question!

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Without power, it wouldn't take long before all the nuclear generators around the world began melting down and irradiating the entire world. I'd probably miss my Geiger counter the most.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

St1ckyfng3rz
I'd probably miss my Geiger counter the most.

Geek.

edit on 12-9-2013 by CIAGypsy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
It might be difficult to live without pen and paper.. some people might sublimate their pain into writing and documenting their experience and testimonies, although that might be difficult to do, with all of the noise outside.

Otherwise, books I would miss a lot, since those would be some of the tools that one could use to help with the shift or transition into their new existence and way of living. The books could help people better understand the meaning and purpose of life, and how to comfortably transit beyond it.

Loss of heat would be important to me also.

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
My autoimmune medication. Literally can't live without it. (PLaquinel)
Toothpaste, floss, and electric toothbruth.
(brushing by reg brush instead of electric toothbrush just doesn't do it! )
Visine. Having Sjogrens, my eyes burn and burn and burn all the time.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 12:52 AM
link   

FlyersFan
electric toothbruth.
(brushing by reg brush instead of electric toothbrush just doesn't do it! )

HA! Amen to that! Nobody will miss their cell phone and internets because when we become reconnected to the natural world, we will be blessing almighty God until the end of time for freeing us from the Devil's soul stealers.

Seriously many people will just feel good being outside for the majority of the day again. I will however miss the zoo's and aquariums, I love to visit those places. But it will be for the better the animals deserve their freedom.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
What you couldn't do without??? hmmm hard to say. I just don't like being cold. So I'd try and build a very warm shelter. And find a bunch of warm clothes and blankets so at night I'd be warm. Like you could find an abandon house with ease. One with a built in fireplace. Then just find wood off some other house or shed. And use that to warm the house at night. Plus have a lot of candles going within just 1 room or area of the house so that would keep the room warm and lit.

posted on Sep, 16 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by CIAGypsy

Water
Enough food to sustain basic vital functioning of the body
At least the clothes on your back,maybe one or 2 spare sets,including something warm.

I have survived for stretches in my life with just this,plus a place to sleep-sucks but it can be done.

A gun or some form of effective weapon for self-defense

Most importantly stoical endurance and determination to survive.Without stubborn determination to survive, the other things i listed are moot points.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join