It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shanghai Photos Taken 26 Years Apart Highlight City's Staggering Growth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Shanghai Photos Taken 26 Years Apart Highlight City's Staggering Growth.

www.huffingtonpost.com

Over the last 26 years, Shanghai has experienced a growth spurt so extraordinary, it will make your jaw drop when you see it unfold before your eyes.
(visit the link for the full news article)

big.assets.huffingtonpost.com

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
People if we don't get our act together here in the U.S. we are in big trouble. This should run as a public message on our televisions to give everyone a wake up call. This is only one of many cities and public projects of enormous size in china that are underway. While our infrastructure here at home is in decay we purchase their products and they build away.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Shocking indeed, Living in the UK is just as shocking, New builds going up everywhere, And most people being "Given" them as they don't work and have children. Plus the influx of people from Europe. This island is doomed. Im sure the powers that be will eventually trim the population down by means of war as per usual, Unless civil war breaks out first!

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Its called economic growth. Imagine being a construction worker in that period never short of work.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Its called economic growth. Imagine being a construction worker in that period never short of work.
Yes it is, The only problem, it's not in my country. And that give's me a problem of unusual proportions.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   
They got to slow down!

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
They got to slow down!
I don't think they feel the same way. This is their industrial revolution and the Chinese are running with it.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   
It is too late to do anything positive about it.

We wanted cheap, they gave us what we wanted.

We were greedy and now we don't have the means to compete. We have spent it all.

The tipping point of our growth has been reached, just like every other great civilisation before us.

I would not bear children from now on. The world will be getting exponentially harsher as time goes on. Not just for us but for them too.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Onami
It is too late to do anything positive about it.

We wanted cheap, they gave us what we wanted.

We were greedy and now we don't have the means to compete. We have spent it all.

The tipping point of our growth has been reached, just like every other great civilisation before us.

I would not bear children from now on. The world will be getting exponentially harsher as time goes on. Not just for us but for them too.
Good lord......I know things are bad. But we do have the means to compete as long as we implement them. I'm speaking of the USA,,,,,Onami, aren't you from the UK?
edit on 2-9-2010 by SPYvsSPY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
From what i have read, the mismatch between what the average chinese people can afford, and the price of those homes built in China is staggering.
There are ghost towns and malls, all empty and unused, seems like a bubble ready to burst, it is unsustainable.
The question i have is "why" do they build on such a large scale?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SPYvsSPY

Yes, I'm from the UK.

Sorry to be so morbid but it seems more like a crisis than a problem. I can't see a solution. They will keep going up and we will keep going down.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42
From what i have read, the mismatch between what the average chinese people can afford, and the price of those homes built in China is staggering.
There are ghost towns and malls, all empty and unused, seems like a bubble ready to burst, it is unsustainable.
The question i have is "why" do they build on such a large scale?

I agree WHY? They have 1.4 billion people, many now flowing into the cities from the farm lands. Maybe it's just a shopping spree for the gov. Or because they are doing very well. Many Chinese are becoming very wealthy. The photo tells us that they are on a roll. Most of those new structures are probly corporate owned/offices or gov. or hotels The ghost towns are weird,,,,they must have a plan I would suspect. I bet many other countries thought the U.S. was building on a large scale 100yrs ago, then again after WW2.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   
We need a similar set of photos of Detriot (sp, yes intentional) to show how far we've sunk as a Nation.
Outsourcing.
NAFTA/CAFTA
Good old free enterprise at work to ensure a return for those stockholders (America's true elites)

Such growth as we see in Shanghai it definitely too much, too fast and will have some bumps due to lack of planning. But it's still growth, something America has lost out on.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Just look at this graph, in 2005 they had a gdp of 2,5 trillion, in 2011 it reached almost 7,5 billion.

www.google.nl...:CHN&dl=nl&hl=nl&q=bbp%20china

Building activity adds to gdp, it generates growth that we have seen in the past years, but eventually it will have to be paid one way or another.
Their debt has been very low, but now it can reach 50 percent of their gdp according to the IMF, that is still not high, but they cannot keep stimulating like this.
This is what was done in Spain, many cities were build, roads and so on, but lots of homes which were build were not sold, big money was lost by investors and now that construction came to a halt, the economy shrinks leaving many people unemployed.
To my believe this is what will happen in China too, moreover, we will see factories return to the west because salaries are down through policies of austerity.

I doubt that the chinese are getting rich, maybe have a bit more salary but certainly not enough to be able to afford those houses, so one thing has to give, either the prise of housing goes down which will mean a loss of invested money, or they must get more salary which will hurt China's competitive edge.

Well i think it is apparent that i am sceptic about China as the new superpower

I take it the US was building and paying for it on a large scale but not as fast as China is doing, and certainly without creating ghost towns.

Edit;
It seems that the graph does not work in that link, open up Oost-azië or East-asia if you receive that page in english and select China
edit on 11-8-2013 by earthling42 because: graph

edit on 11-8-2013 by earthling42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Detroit was once a great city. Highest wages and home ownership in the nation. Worked in SE Michigan for many years. Then over time driving thru Detroit while working just became depressing. Instead of people flocking to the city as in the mid 1900's as they are now in China, they moved to the suburbs. If you took all of the Detroit factories and stood them on end, they would have easily rivaled Shanghai's city scape. Take that photo on Shanghai and run it backwards and that's the new Detroit. We as a nation and our gov. waste enormous amounts of money on ridiculous .....?

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
"New world" regions such as Asia Pacific, excluding Japan, are expected to account for nearly 70 percent of the growth in global private wealth in the next five years, according to BCG's report, released Thursday. By the end of 2017, the Asia-Pacific region will see its private wealth grow to an estimated $48.1 trillion, just surpassing North America as the world's wealthiest region, the report said.

Everyone remember China is still a communist nation. Their government can turn things on or off quite easily to fit their needs.

We better get busy as a if a nation at a total economic war
edit on 2-9-2010 by SPYvsSPY because: more info

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I was in Shanghai in 95-96-97 and the view from the Bund had quite a few high-rises including the sky tower thingy.
I'm going to hunt down a pic I took of that skyline, Im pretty sure I remember it being not as busy as that imgae but certainly that business district kind of view was there back then.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
No shortage in the job market for the construction worker over the last 25 years..

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Many will be too young to remember but it was Richard Nixon that opened the doors to Communist China. Gerald Ford appointed Bush to be Chief U.S. Liaison to the People's Republic. It may have taken Clinton and his free trade policies to begin the real movement of capital and industry but it was Bush laying the groundwork for our later economic surrender.
Remember all the Chinese "businessmen" who were coming and going in the White House during the Clinton years? All the stolen technology and tech that was given away?
This whole situation has been long in the making.

top topics

join