It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Die Antwoord - The Answer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a south african rap/rave collective.
they've been out a few years now, but i only heard them recently.
their different to most of today's crap
they rap in english and afrikaans
their video's are quite something. brilliant.

"i fink u freeky"

"fok julle naaiers" (fck all y'all)

apparently the last 30 seconds (extremely graphic lyrics) are aimed at a journalist who wrote some bad stuff about them
WARNING: if easily offended please dont watch

"fatty boom boom"

that was die antwoord
edit on 9/8/13 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I first heard of them a couple years ago, not everyone's cup of tea but very original and FUNNY!

The true test, how does it sound live?
Looks fun and sounds good to me!

edit on 9-8-2013 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
As a South African, I feel embarrassed. But, good or them...

I will not put any of their songs in my sets or mixes. Not that it makes any difference to them.

As South Africans we understand what they are saying and how crude they are in their lyrics. Some Afrikaans people love, others loathe it. Those who don't understand Afrikaans have no clue how crude they are. The F word is the least disturbing word from the rest they use.

Sick band. They crossed the line of the "shock factor", IMO.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: Spelling. I fink

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KaelemJames
As a South African, I feel embarrassed. But, good or them...

I will not put any of their songs in my sets or mixes. Not that it makes any difference to them.

As South Africans we understand what they are saying and how crude they are in their lyrics. Some Afrikaans people love, others loathe it. Those who don't understand Afrikaans have no clue how crude they are. The F word is the least disturbing word from the rest they use.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: Spelling. I fink

well as an irishman im embarressed by bono of u2
so theres no need to be embarressed by them
i like die antwoord, their different to anything else. their video's are brilliant.
their on a world tour right now

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KaelemJames

I don't like them that much either, but for different reasons. I posted a live vid to show what I consider to be their strength, the live show. I've enjoyed the rave scene on occasion.
The girl's voice is too annoying for me to enjoy otherwise.

May I ask what line they have crossed for you? I'm curious because I'm not South African and I admit I don't get it. Take this verse from "I think you're freaky" for example; as a South African can you translate this;

"Now why you loer en kyk gelyk?
Is ek miskien van goud gemake?
You want to fight, you come tonight.
Ek moer jou sleg! So jy hardloop weg."

I always thought it was just hyper sexuality which doesn't offend me.
Crude sexy lyrics don't bother me, within limit's of course.
Crude violence/hate lyrics do.
I've been under the impression their message was anti hate, pro sex.
They make fun of the haters. Or so I thought.

Other artists with a similar message, also great live,
Peaches, Lords of Acid, My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult to name a few.

What is their (Die Antwoord's) message from an Afrikaan's point of view?

edit on 9-8-2013 by tanda7 because: sp

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Well thanks to these guys we all know the sound track that is playing in the head of the crazy people at the bus stop.

That second video are they singing about satanism and flashing monarch butterflies, serpents, one eye symbolism and lame wall art?

I was hoping that crap was only in America . . .

I am off to take a shower.

-FBB

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tanda7

Sure

It says;
"Why are you peeking and looking at the same time.
Am I made of gold?
You want to fight, you come tonight.
I eff you up (bad/severely) So, you run away."

My problem with Die Antwoord is:
They absolutely have no issue to blaspheme, in fact, they do it with their foolish pride.

Music is my work, not a hobby, but my living. I get to listen to many different "underground genres", and none of these are as bad as Die Antwoord.

They (Die Antwoord) use subliminal messaging, via their slang. And so too they say what they wanna say-they say and show it and don't give a crap what people think, or what God thinks. They openly attack Him. The black contacts they wear is a dead give away

I think they are making a bigger impact abroad than in South Africa at the moment. But they have quite a decent steady fan base here.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Ya I seen them for some time, that girl in the band even though she tries to come off as some shocking sex thing she kind of reminds me of those little skinny chewawa dogs when they get wet with big eyes wierd haircut and all. And cant hate on a guy named who calls himself ninja.
There stuff goes from the hilarious to the plain stupid, to the shock factor, and there pretty good at it, the shock factor that is.

I cant understand half the # that comes out of there mouths in there songs, or what the hell zef side is, I think you got to be from there to really get what there about, but anyways there voices and ascents sound funny , and you got to admit they do have there own beat. But ya there stuff is a bit to shocking and lewd for my tastes, even though some of there videos are kind of hilarious if albeit in a stupid sort of way.

A short movie they made. Its so stupid its funny.

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I absolutely ADORE Die Antwoord! I'm a South African girl (Afrikaans is my native language) and I completely understand all of the 'offensive' words contained in their music. The songs can really very vulgar - Afrikaans has some seriously 'creative' swear words seldom found in other languages.

And you know what - I love the fact that they are so off-beat and difficult to label. They are brilliant artists and performers - non-conformists in every way. Their 'next-level' beats are seriously awesome - wish I could make some of those with my PC computer

posted on Aug, 12 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tanda7
I first heard of them a couple years ago, not everyone's cup of tea but very original and FUNNY!

The true test, how does it sound live?
Looks fun and sounds good to me!

edit on 9-8-2013 by tanda7 because: (no reason given)

that video is the first time i seen them
seen it on some blog. it got me interested in them.
i think their natural, nothing fake about them.
the swearing and all is natural to them. they didnt grow up on the posh side of town...
and as for what god thinks? sheesh....dont make me laugh
Die Antwoord are fun
they dont take themselves too serious as can be seen in their video's
the dj, hi-tek, is excellent. his beats are raw, pumpin'
i like Die Antwoord

posted on Aug, 13 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Oh ya! So some here are actually from south africa and understand there language eh? Maybe you all can answer some things.

First whats with this song, I mean I get there making fun of lady ga ga, but really is fatty boom boom a worse thing to be called up in south Africa then the F word which they drop constantly. To tell the truth I am not even sure which are diss words and which not, as I don't really understand them.

And seeing at they seem to be bigger out of the areas "afrika" were they are, I do not think most people watch or listen to them because they know what there saying. All bands have an element of selling themselves. I do not see Die Antwoord as being any different and if you look at pictures of them in before and after they went big they dress completely different, in fact in some pictures they looked like prep kids or hipsters. I mean the shock factor has been done from way before Madonna or the former Disney kids doing naughty things in there new carers, britney spears or whoever is the new one now a days.

And the envelope just continuously gets pushed with people like lady gaga and even them, and it just seems to be because of the fact that people like to see shocking things and it sells, the way people they like to see scary movies once in a while. But a lot of it seems to be simply marketing to a market. A bit about how some rappers always go on about coming up from the hood, and how they had it so hard and still have it so hard. When in reality there multi millionaires, some of them went to Harvard even, and have had it better then the average person any day of the week. All while poor kids continuously buy there records over and over. I think 50 cents a very rich person, in one of his songs raped about how he could sell a "mil" saying nothing on the track.
Ka ching$$$

Not to say Die Antwoord are not good at what they do, and there songs and art says more then others. But you know its art, and there selling an image as well, even if that image may be a bit more truthful then others.

Anyways I was totally shocked.
And totally disappointed to learn that this song has nothing to do with cookies.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Fatty Boom Boom was in response to Lady Gaga wanting them to tour with her as an opening act and it was there F you to her. In all reality it would've been a stupid move on her part. I absolutely LOVE this band, but they are on a completely different level of weird than her. If she would've gotten them to sign on with her her fan base would've dropped. IDK about the Fatty Boom Boom phrase as an insult though sorry.

posted on Sep, 10 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

Sorry if offensive, just showing where they got the end of that song from!!

The end of Fuk Julle Naaiers was them parodying what Mike Tyson did

edit on 10-9-2013 by bananamamma because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bananamamma

So I figured, though if you look at them before they went all weird they do look like hipsters, like lady gaga or any of them they are in the entertainment business so the definition of them being real is up for translation.

And ya the end of that song is straight up from Mike Tyson losing it at that press conference, but there whole image and imagery is pretty much strait up textbook in many ways right down to the whole monarch butterflies yo landi is covered with in that vid, and it's meant to mess with people and also they have a market for that kind of stuff as people would watch.

In all its meant to sell and in many things its no different then when Madonna kissed Brittney or when on national tv there was boob slip from Janet Jackson and people made a big deal about it, or why lady gagga was wearing a dress made of meat or well you could go back in time to the 60's and beyond and you will see that they do that sort of stuff because it works, and sells. Its all just meant to catch the eye of the populous and sell, like pretty much everything else out there.

top topics

join