It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima: Pacific Ocean poisoned, millions at risk?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This sucks. I used to love Pacific salmon but I haven't bought it since two weeks or so after the tsunami.

The Japanese have the technology to mine heavy metals out of sea water, using special filters. I'm assuming fresh water floats to the top of salt water. They have to get this process going immediately. They should be able, from the results of their mining to calculate how much radioactive material is getting away from them.

The UN needs to step in on this and help if necessary. Huge politics and "face" issues.

They should be given a quota, internationally verifiable by inspection, to mine the amount of radioactive metals out of the ocean equivalent to the amount added to the ocean by the Fukushima disaster.
edit on 9-8-2013 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think the reason there is no global effort to "fix" this, is because there is NOTHING anyone can do. This has been going on for 750 days, Its already IN the environment, in our air, in our food. It comes down in the rain. I am sure its in most of the fish by now. And there is NO way to contain a reactor that has liquified and sank into the earth. They don't want this fact to come to light because if it does, people will start to question the safety of nuclear power everywhere, as they did in Germany.
edit on 10-8-2013 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
This should have been a military operation from day 1 Russian style,Chernobyl could have wiped out Europe but the heroes that went into that hell hole saved us all,didnt they tunnel under the reactor and pour a concrete slab underneath to prevent it hitting groundwater? Too late for that now with Fukushima it could blow big time.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by openminded2011

Personally, I think they should nuke the plant, release everything at once, and allow it to incinerate/settle and be done and over with it as fast as possible.

It is a much better option than a slow poisoning, and most radiation would go the same way as the nuclear testing done over the years.

But that is just my crazy mind working.
It is a desperate situation that requires drastic measures.

posted on Aug, 10 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71

I am not sure if it would really work.If they tried to nuke it, it might just vaporize all the radioactive material into very small particles, and we have a huge dust cloud in the atmosphere. Good question.

posted on Aug, 11 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I wonder if something like that could work or not, I mean in a serious way. I'm not joking. I know there is a LOT of plutonium involved though. Unsure how it would react. Would it make a bigger boom? Or would it vaporize? Or Spread a bigger cloud? I wonder if something like that would work or not?

Anyone out there know for sure? There must be some sort of "expert" around here who would know if this is a totally dumb idea or not. I know it sounds dumb, but is it?

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71

I wonder if something like that could work or not, I mean in a serious way. I'm not joking. I know there is a LOT of plutonium involved though. Unsure how it would react. Would it make a bigger boom? Or would it vaporize? Or Spread a bigger cloud? I wonder if something like that would work or not?

Anyone out there know for sure? There must be some sort of "expert" around here who would know if this is a totally dumb idea or not. I know it sounds dumb, but is it?

I make no claims at all with regard to being an expert on this particular subject, but based on public-domain information, dropping a nuke on Fukushima might not be the worst thing you could do, but it's hard to think of anything that would top it.

You even touch on one reason in your post. The uranium and plutonium at the facility (along with all of the other radioactive material that's proving so difficult to contain) would vaporize. That doesn't mean it would be destroyed, any more than vaporized water is destroyed. The vaporized material, along with tons of now even more contaminated soil, water, and anything else close to ground zero, will then get sucked into the upper atmosphere, where the vapor will cool and condense. Now we have a radioactive crater where Fukushima was, and several tons (or several thousands of tons) of highly radioactive aerosol looking for new places to settle down. The nuclear initiation wouldn't be made any bigger because of the material in the plant, but it would be made much, much 'dirtier'.

posted on Aug, 17 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
What's up with the thread Nazis? lol jeesh

Thanks for the updates brother...keep them coming!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Ocean now Boiling.... Wow...Just Wow!!!
http://_national_report_dot_net_/breaking-fukushima-crisis-escalates-tons-radioactive-waste-released-pacific-causes-ocean-boil/

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Brother Stormhammer

Originally posted by Darkblade71

I make no claims at all with regard to being an expert on this particular subject, but based on public-domain information, dropping a nuke on Fukushima might not be the worst thing you could do, but it's hard to think of anything that would top it.

You even touch on one reason in your post. The uranium and plutonium at the facility (along with all of the other radioactive material that's proving so difficult to contain) would vaporize. That doesn't mean it would be destroyed, any more than vaporized water is destroyed. The vaporized material, along with tons of now even more contaminated soil, water, and anything else close to ground zero, will then get sucked into the upper atmosphere, where the vapor will cool and condense. Now we have a radioactive crater where Fukushima was, and several tons (or several thousands of tons) of highly radioactive aerosol looking for new places to settle down. The nuclear initiation wouldn't be made any bigger because of the material in the plant, but it would be made much, much 'dirtier'.

Wouldn't several Nukes, elevated to several hundred feet in the air, but not directly over the plant, but say like a ring around it, detonated at the same time, so that the inner sides of the explosions come together and down right into the plant at the same time, vaporize the plant and everything on its grounds with high enough temperatures, long enough to sterilize the radiation?
edit on 14-9-2013 by D_Mason because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Soloprotocol
Ocean now Boiling.... Wow...Just Wow!!!
http://_national_report_dot_net_/breaking-fukushima-crisis-escalates-tons-radioactive-waste-released-pacific-causes-ocean-boil/

Taken from your article. "Almost two hours after today’s incident what’s being called the “Fukushima Plume of Death” is rapidly bearing down on Hawaii. It’s estimated once Hawaii is hit California will be hit about 90 minutes after."

It is hard to take articles seriously when they include such non sensical things as a radioactive plume traveling at about 1,560mph

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
NRA chief says situation at Fukushima ‘exaggerated’

Japan’s nuclear watchdog, the Nuclear Regulation Authority (NRA), chief Shunichi Tanaka had some strong words to say about how Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) are releasing information about the water leak crisis at the crippled Fukushima Daiichi power plant. He also criticized the media, saying their reports are giving a “misleading impression” of the actual situation.

japandailypress.com...

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Definitely will affect more than a million. Fish feed on plankton for example. This stuff kills that and more. We understand for too little about the vastness of this ecosystem to mess with it. I guess we will be learning one way or the other. Noticed big sales on fish today (crab, lobster, salmon). Always have them but these were some extraordinary prices. Feel sorry for those who make their living trying to catch us these awesome foods.

posted on Sep, 18 2013 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Trillions you say?

That's a large number. Makes me scared!

I prefer measurements that don't require big numbers.

Maybe we could just use curries. That would reduce the quantity down to the dozens.

Same difference, but I don't feel nearly as scared.

Funny thing.

TL;DR Propaganda

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
MSM reporting this morning (10-2-13) second storage tank is starting to overflow. Maybe this will start getting the attention it needs.

posted on Oct, 3 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

The highly radiated river and groundwater are flowing at a rate of 1000 to 1200 tons per day into the Pacific. That 300 tons number was an attempt by Tepco to confuse the (old) leaking tank number with the groundwater flow. It worked. Double check your river flow rate number. Just trying to watch Tepco's bait and switch tactics!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join