It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Even in a nuclear war, you likely won't die....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I used to be one of those folks who even prepping for other events, considered myself toast if a nuclear war were to break out.

After educating myself on it a lot more, I was pretty surprised to find out I would not only be likely out of any blast areas, but also out of any radiation areas, and likely able to ride it out just as any other disaster.

I found a few good sites, but this one is really helpful:

www.ki4u.com...

Basically has a guide on how to survive such an attack (including a dirty bomb scenario). Hope you find it useful. Previously, it's one scenario I though I could never prep for, but that isn't really the case.

With modern disarmament, it's a lot less likely we'll see the kinds of numbers of nukes that terrified our nightmares during the Cold War. Also, with missile defense systems, fewer of them are likely to get through. This also makes it easier to guess targets (command and control military bases, for example).

Anyhow, this IS a scenario you can survive, so wanted to share it.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I remember an Essay Michael Crichton did on Nuclear war.

Basically we don't even know enough to say that nuclear winter would even be a thing.

All the data was incomplete along with climate data, not to say that nuclear war would not be horrific, just not as horrific as we have been lead to believe (complete scorched earth etc)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Keep a bottle of Iodine on hand. In the case of a nuclear accident or a nuclear bomb, make a six inch square of iodine around the stomach area. It will get absorbed within a couple of days and help to protect you. Cheaper than taking pills. Iodine is good for stimulating healing also, using iodine on cuts is good lots of times.

I doubt if any country would waste a nuke on the UP. There are more deer up here than people and the airbase was closed many years ago.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Between 1945 and 1998, approx 2053 nuclear bombs have been detonated across the globe. In light of this, I think that a nuclear winter is just an urban legend. Here is a graphic that i believe has been presented on ATS before, but i think that we should always keep in mind the amount of destruction we as a species have let loose in our house.

On topic, I am in central California, so ya...I'm probably toast.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Yea... so I live in Baltimore, MD which is basically a stone's throw away from Washington D.C. While I may not be in the blast radius, there is a good chance that I could be effected by fallout. Which in my opinion would be FAR worse. At least being caught in a blast could instantly kill you. Radiation sickness is a very painful way to die, and if it doesn't kill you could result in cancer which is an even longer and (possibly) more painful way to die.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thanks for the info. I think a lot of this is speculative.

Honestly who knows how many would be launched, the targets, the size of the weapon, etc.There are too many variables.

I don't ever want to live through a nuclear war. It may not be as bad as we were told but it would still be bad.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

Right but that's over a period of 53 years and many were much less powerful than what would be used in an attack.

Imagine even 200 being launched in a few hours. The result would be horrific.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
That was a very informative read, thank you Gazrok.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

This is a bad example. In one year there are 50 to 70 volcano eruptions. A typical volcano spits out tons of volcanic ash into the atmosphere. In comparison a super volcano, which is said to be able to spit out enough volcanic ash to cause small ice ages, spits out 1000 times the amount of ash as a regular volcano. Doing the math, over the course of roughly 20 years there should be climate change just from volcanoes alone. Yet this isn't the case. Obviously, the same can be said towards nuclear detonations.
edit on 6-8-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I dont want to live in a post nuke world, too many factors show you wouldnt live healthy, let me die in the initial blast

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gotya
reply to post by occrest

Right but that's over a period of 53 years and many were much less powerful than what would be used in an attack.

Imagine even 200 being launched in a few hours. The result would be horrific.

Ya, I was just discussing that very scenario with my brother.....I do not know if i would like to survive that particular scenario.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

How is it a bad example? I was trying to show that even tho there have been over 2k nuclear detonations over 50+ years, we have no nuclear winter.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

And I'm trying to show that over the course of life of this planet there have been untold number of volcanic eruptions spewing ash into the air. Going by your logic about multiple nuclear explosions over the course of many years, if the amount of ash from one super volcano can cause climate change then 1000 volcanoes should do the same thing. I then provided information that this amounts to around 20 years (maybe less if it is a particularly active year) of volcanic activity. Yet we don't have global climate change every 20 years, therefore the same holds true about many nuclear detonations over the course of many years. In effect, this says nothing about many nuclear detonations going off at the same time. By extension the nuclear winter concept was probably formed by analyzing volcanic eruptions and super volcanic eruptions.
edit on 6-8-2013 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Fear not fellow Americans! Our government is working on anti-ballistic missile system!

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
Keep a bottle of Iodine on hand. In the case of a nuclear accident or a nuclear bomb, make a six inch square of iodine around the stomach area. It will get absorbed within a couple of days and help to protect you. Cheaper than taking pills. Iodine is good for stimulating healing also, using iodine on cuts is good lots of times.

I doubt if any country would waste a nuke on the UP. There are more deer up here than people and the airbase was closed many years ago.

Iodine won't help you at all.

Radiation pills are composed of Iodide, an isotope of Iodine which aid in preventing absorption of radiation in the thyroid gland.

www.livescience.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Check the link in the OP, you can make an iodine tincture and apply as the poster recommended in lieu of pills.

reply to post by MystikMushroom

Fear not fellow Americans! Our government is working on anti-ballistic missile system!

It's been in place for years. As for its effectiveness......
But should cut down the numbers somewhat...
Not hard to find info on it. Basically it is a multi-stage defense, to try and take out the inbounds during different parts of their journey.

Yea... so I live in Baltimore, MD which is basically a stone's throw away from Washington D.C. While I may not be in the blast radius, there is a good chance that I could be effected by fallout.

Even if a 20mt nuke hit DC, you'd still be out of the radiation fallout zone. The winds would eventually carry it to you though, but the radiation level would be a LOT lower by the time it got to you.

Simultaneous nukes and a possible nuclear winter are huge unknowns and speculations, but I'm just trying to share that it isn't near as hopeless as you may initially think. Especially given the number of nukes likely to be exchanged.
edit on 6-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
Yea... so I live in Baltimore, MD which is basically a stone's throw away from Washington D.C. While I may not be in the blast radius, there is a good chance that I could be effected by fallout. Which in my opinion would be FAR worse. At least being caught in a blast could instantly kill you. Radiation sickness is a very painful way to die, and if it doesn't kill you could result in cancer which is an even longer and (possibly) more painful way to die.
You may very likely be able to travel up wind away from the fallout. It takes a short while to fall but is certainly not immediate.

There's also a good chance that if it was a half way smart country that bombed us, they could drop them in such a way that would produce less radioactive fallout.

Now I don't want anyone to think I relish the idea... I'm just making a point, stating a fact (and that's to the NSA
... in case they think i am promoting overthrow)

...but a country could drop nukes clean... and big ones, devastating ones with huge blast perimeters and take out key locations that I won't bother directly naming because you know what I mean... and then move in without threat of radiation and still have viable agriculture going after they've bombed the crap out of us.

the big thing is if there is a blast and the cloud starts going up, don't panic and just try to get away from it... preferably up wind. If you get caught in traffic and it looks like it is not going to move due to permanent blockage, park your car and get out and continue moving away from it. The chances are very good that if you survived the blast, you will survive the radiation as long as you don't sit and wait in it. It is VERY likely that if there is a slight wind that it will move the majority downwind and that very little will fall up wind past the blast area. Every step you take brings you closer to good chances of survival. There are people very close to hiroshima who survived to old age and they had no idea what to do, were still looking for people they knew in the area.

If there is any way you can keep a vehicle near you, I'd recommend not leaving it... but assess your situation. If you get stuck IN TRAFFIC and it's not moving and you can see the actual cloud... you need to get away from it however you can and do not plan on returning to that area...especially if the wind is coming your way, do not sit still but calmly get away from it. It will take a while but it is escapable. Even if you have no way to detect radiation, if your air is clear and there is still some distance between you and the cloud, don't give up. When you see falling ash... that's a good sign it's too late.
edit on 6-8-2013 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

By extension the nuclear winter concept was probably formed by analyzing volcanic eruptions and super volcanic eruptions.

hence my belief that nuclear winter=urban myth/scare tactic
we really have no idea what would happen if a super volcano went off. All we have is falsifiable data that we are shown which we have to decide for ourselves if it is true or not. I say this because none of us has seen, much less lived thru a supervolcano eruption.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by clay2 baraka

Evidently you have not done your homework. The skin, including interactions with the microbes living on the skin, can convert the iodine to one that can be used in the thyroid. There are quite a few articles about that on the net. I've read about forty or so articles on Iodine. I'm still trying to figure out why we need Iodine supplementation in the first place.....I'm skeptical about the whole Iodine is necessary thing...Lack of trust in the half truths our government spreads.

Putting it on the belly is done also so that the conversion saturates the intestines so the intestines lower the uptake the radioactive dusts from the food. You could also eat foods containing goitinerogens that lessen our uptake of the iodines, it would make the radioactive iodines pass through without getting absorbed. Most of my research relates to the forms of radiation from a nuclear power plant, not from bombs.

The article you posted did not even address using Iodine on the skin. Iodine that you put on cuts would not be good to drink, it is topical only....The lungs can also convert it I guess, but who wants to be vaping iodine

edit on 6-8-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Iodine is used to protect the thyroid gland. The thyroid gland can absorb only so much iodine and no more. So if you fill it up with regular iodine, it can't absorb radioactive iodine. Radioactive iodine is produced by nuclear events and causes thyroid cancer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join