It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job Seeker, 21, Kills Herself After She Was Rejected for 200 Jobs.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samtzurr
reply to post by destination now

His/her post certainly had most substance than yours. ;-) Do you really want to be the sort of person that shoots people down, over the internet (of all places), because of spelling (of all things)?
That shows far more lack of self-awareness to me than misplacing one letter. If you're autistic or something, then sorry for calling you out, by those standards I'd say you're doing fairly well. But otherwise...
edit on 6-8-2013 by Samtzurr because: (no reason given)

Really? Their post complaining that they "go thru collage" and now are working in a low paid job that they feel they are "overqualified" for is useful in this debate? Considering the thread is about how people can get jobs by impressing recruiters, it might be worth their while to make sure that their spelling is correct.

Then you ask if I'm autistic? Pot kettle methinks..

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by destination now

Really? Their post complaining that they "go thru collage" and now are working in a low paid job that they feel they are "overqualified" for is useful in this debate? Considering the thread is about how people can get jobs by impressing recruiters, it might be worth their while to make sure that their spelling is correct.

Then you ask if I'm autistic? Pot kettle methinks..

Let's not derail this thread. Neither of our last two posts respectively have been useful to this "debate" (I'd call it a discussion). I replied emotionally because I don't like to see an earnest poster being insulted needlessly. Looks like we're both being hypocrites. I think if you and I were chemical compounds, I'd be ammonia and you'd be bleach. ;-)

EDIT: Sorry for insinuating that your initial comment was autistic. I was up on a high horse. I'm down now.
edit on 6-8-2013 by Samtzurr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Samtzurr

Fair enough, but I also got annoyed when I saw someone complaining about their lack of a well paid job, littered with shorthand and spelling mistakes and I would hope that they take more care in their job applications, to ensure that their college education is not wasted...

And to be fair I did write an extensive post about what people can do to increase their chances of getting an interview and then being successful at the interview, based on my knowledge of the job market...I'm not just here to put people down and I don't normally pass remarks on spelling and grammar, but it did seem appropriate in this particular context.

But yeah, bleach and ammonia probably sums it up quite well

Peace

edit on 6-8-2013 by destination now because: to change peroxide to ammonia because even my perfect brain gets it wrong sometimes

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
That is such a sad story.

I've gone through every scenerio you can during my working life, apart from being fired. I've walked out of jobs, been outsourced, been involved in being outsourced, worked temp jobs, worked shift, work contract, manual labour, skilled labour, you name I do it. I'm now and have been for the past near on ten years, in perm employment, but its hard and should I get the boot, my work philosophy is, do what I can to get the money in....legally of course.

I think its sad that without digging at unemployed school leavers/uni leavers, their expectations are not grounded in reality. Unless you have a degree in law, accountancy or medicine, its F'ing hard! and even then, its F'ing hard! What gets me up is how we have millions unemployed, God knows how many graduates in trash jobs, yet we are still using immigration as a factor in filling many jobs...Get our own trained and employed!! Get apprenticeships back! Where are the graduate shcemes? A few vacancies in the Public Sector is meaningless! I know nurses that have had to go abroad to Australia to work, because they cant get jobs here because hospitals are using cheap immigrant agency workers, when one joined one of the agencies, she never got any work! What on Earth is going on in this country?

I feel sorry for this girl and even more so for her family, there is no doubt more to this than she just didn't get jobs, she obviously was deeply unhappy and getting that dream job was something of a dream for her to, in her mind, cure the negative feelings that she had and make her life complete. Unfortunately, had she got either of the jobs she wanted, it perhaps would've delayed the inevitable as once again, the expectation would be far greater than the reality, especially with being a teacher.

However, the government need to take note, too many of our own are being left by the gutter and then the excuses come flooding in that immigration is needed because nobody will do the jobs, its total BS and really people need to start making a stand not just sitting there drooling at their monitors!

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Very sad, I have to say I think media and reality tv (which is far removed from reality) has brainwashed the young into being unrealistic, sometimes a job is a job!

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

a comment on Societies Woe's,,,its not the person who is sick in the head,, it is society.
A job means u survive. In the "World" .A person has wants and needs.

your needs, security,food,shelter,clothing,,are provided by your family.

your wants,,by society.
What she wanted from society/world, she could not find. What she did not realize yet was,,she won't find it in death either.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i can see this happening more and more. kids are given unrealistic expectations in school. they are told that if they do well in school then go to collage and do well they will easily get a good job". then once they graduate they find that even if they were awesome students with good grades, the competition for jobs is insane, and on top of that the "EXPERIENCE NEEDED" crap.

in this case it was pretty bad since one of her main "jobs" she was looking at was a teacher. now i don't know how it is in Europe but in North America, they have been going on for years about a "teacher shortage", so many people train up as teaches figuring that at least there they will be able to get a job. sadly that "teacher shortage" is a fallacy. the reality is that there is not an actual shortage of those wanting to teach (and are qualified), but even tho schools do really NEED more teachers (thus the shortage), the school boards are not increasing their number of teaching staff. it is just something they go on about trying to make it sound like it is not their fault classes are overcrowded. i have a friend who spent OVER TEN YEARS looking for a permanent teaching position. he was not even looking in just one country either, he was looking in BOTH the US, and CANADA. (and yes he IS legally able to work in both places). he was normally able to secure "long term replacement" for a few months each year, but even tho a school that he worked at liked him, if a position opened up there were literally HUNDREDS of APPLICANTS, and so they of course wanted the best, but also due to "equality laws" some people were given a much higher preference due to their sex, race, and even religion in some cases (the religion one is actually illegal, but tell that to the catholic school board). so he lost out. you would not believe how depressed it made him that he was unable to find work for so long, especially since he had student loans to repay for the schooling required to be a teacher.

that whole "experience needed" thing is a major issue for people. how can one GET experience when every job (except things like McDonalds), seems to want experience? now i do understand that from a companies point of view not having to train is a good thing, as it saves them time, effort, and money. nothing like starting to train someone to find out they are rather unsuited for the work, now what to do with them? and in this GLUTTED job market there are all sorts of "experienced" people available, pretty much a hiring "buyer's market". so in a lot of ways you can hardly blame them for this (as much as i'd like to). why would you hire someone that needs training when there are people who already know it looking for work?

then you can have the opposite. i worked in a store with an auto shop. being low paying and to be honest rather easy work for the most part, they did not care about experience "we will train you". sounds good right? WRONG it had a horrible effect. we hired one young guy just out of school, he knew nothing about cars. he did his basic training but sometimes needed a bit of help (since cars are designed to be a pain in the butt, with all sorts of "little tricks" you need to know to work on different ones).no one wanted to bother "helping him", they would say things like "if you don't know you shouldn't be working here", "i have my own stuff to do, figure it out on your own", and generally "downing" and making jokes about him, make him look bad in front of customers etc. it was REALLY HOSTILE. now if i was there i would help him, yet i would get whined at because MY PRODUCTIVITY of course would go down because of the time i would spend with him. in the end he turned from a nice eager kid who wanted to learn, into a walking attitude. he also got rather seriously into drugs as a way to combat the stress from work. in some ways i was surprised HE didn't commit suicide the way he was treated, it was really bad.
yet he couldn't quit because it WAS A JOB. he was LUCKY to get it, so he did what he needed to try to carry on.

but if you think about it things like "experience", or job knowledge, degrees etc, are of no help when there are HUNDREDS of people looking for work. in some ways it is like a lottery you win getting a job, you may have just happened to apply for a job the day someone left, my old managers used to THROW OUT applications unless we were actively seeking someone. so people who came in between had no chance, it was just luck that they came at the right time. sometimes it is that the interviewer just happened to like you. amusingly sometimes "experience" or "education" even counts against you, "we won't hire them because as soon as they can find a better job they will leave".

sadly we will likely hear more stories like this one until they can get MORE JOBS opening up so that everyone can GET a JOB. being out of work wears you down and makes you feel worthless, the more they turn you down the more useless you feel.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Sad story, like a few others I think there's a little more to it than not being able to find a job.

I do want to make a point, however...it's something I've noticed more and more as I've gotten older - a lot of (mostly young) people these days simply can't accept that life isn't as simple as stepping into your dream job, that sometimes you have to struggle and endure in order to progress.

We all have dreams and aspirations of who and what we want to be, attaining that isn't as easy as wanting it. Young people seem to have this attitude now that certain jobs are degrading or not good enough. I look at it as a kind of ladder, no matter what you want to do you need a good foothold, few are lucky enough to land a dream job without some struggle.

I'm not what I want to be, at all. I have a job and enjoy it most days, as a youngster I wanted to be something great, like we all do. Wanted to make my mark doing my own thing, but I always understood that it's best in the meantime to knuckle down and try my best to get by. So I do my job and in my spare time I'll do whatever comes to mind, I was always quite studious and enjoyed learning new things - as an example on a whim the other day I googled how refrigerators worked and read a bunch of stuff not because I had to but because it's something I'm interested in and learning is always good. We live in privileged times where you can educate yourself or even promote yourself easily online. I think this girl's been depressed, being jobless probably didn't help, but I wonder what steps she'd taken on that road to becoming a television producer...

The person who has the ability to furnish you with your dream job will be more impressed if you cleaned toilets to support yourself while you chased that dream than they will be if you tell them you've sat around doing little to nothing in the hopes that your dream job will find you. They'll respect you more and know that you've a good work ethic if you do a menial job in the meantime, a foot on the ladder, while still developing your skills with a view to achieving your goals.

They're less likely to give you any job if you don't currently have a job, more-so if you haven't worked in a year or two. I've been in this position when I worked in production on temporary contracts, it wasn't fun and I got laid off a lot, often for long periods and struggled to find work. It was kind of my own fault, I'd moved to a rural area for one and limited my chances. So I moved back to the city and there were more opportunities, didn't really want to, but life isn't about getting what you want all the time, and I think this is the crux of the whole matter. People don't want to make sacrifices, seems it's a common mindset these days...that everything should just fall into place and be easy, I wonder where that mentality is coming from...tv anyone?

I refuse to accept that there are no jobs out there, it simply isn't true. I know people who hold down multiple jobs, but hard, laborious, menial, low-paid jobs. I also know people who would rather claim jobseekers allowance because such trivial or supposedly "degrading" jobs are beneath them. No job is beneath me, if it pays and I need it, I'll do it...and with pride. But there are jobs, I look for new jobs all the time, I've a foot on the ladder but I want to progress, the job I do now has given me a broader skill set that will help me move onwards and upwards...there ARE jobs there, they just all ain't so glamorous...and that what a lot of young people want or think they deserve these days, fame and fortune and a lifetime of high living...sorry, but it's simply unrealistic.

As an example, I have a friend from childhood, he's in his 30's, he has a child who he doesn't ever see because it was going to "ruin his life", he thinks he's going to be a successful musician, maybe he will...but he's had like 2 jobs since he left school, he's worked a collective month of his adult life without exaggeration...he has to concentrate on "his music". Totally selfish as hell, spoiled rotten by his mother, dreams and aspirations of being a rock star, he can play guitar reasonably well, I play too, not to be arrogant but slightly better. I think it's a cop-out on his part, he doesn't study music, barely knows what a scale or a key signature is...he's lazy in pursuit of his dreams, spends his days playing computer games, stopping occasionally to pluck a few notes. He's one of several people I've known throughout my adult life with this mindset.

Even when I was employed as a dishwasher I did it with pride, and why not - apparently it's incredibly difficult and nobody wants to do it...not difficult, just not fun, not beneath me...but not glamorous.

Sad story, indeed...but there are several gems of enlightenment to be extrapolated by those in a similar situation, do whatever you can while you work on your dreams...2 years is a long time, a lot of learning can be done in 2 years.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
maybe people shouldn't set their standards so high. I take pics of crappy homes,,its not impressive,,its not white collar, and I cant find one person to help me AT 20 AN HOUR!...........TO TAKE PICS!....so I do it alone and keep all of the money,,sick of trying to find a helper so Ill just do it all and keep all the money. Point is THERE ARE JOBS..........

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jazztrance

That's exactly the point I was making earlier. The jobs are there, but people look at them and say "Oh, that's a horrible job, I won't try for that one" and ignore it.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Her love was probably to pure for any potential employers, they probably saw her coming and knew they all had to change if she were to get the job, feel bad about themselves whenever she would be around. Love sometimes just isn't good for business, with so many people all deriving their power from it, then a new, rare heart comes along and they all know it.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Nevermind. Pointless.
edit on 8/6/2013 by Halekoch because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Well i would probably kill myself too if I was rejected from 200 jobs, But the economy must not be in that bad of shape, if you could be without a job long enough to get 200 interviews and still have money to buy drugs then it can't be that bad.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LUXUS
Very sad, I have to say I think media and reality tv (which is far removed from reality) has brainwashed the young into being unrealistic, sometimes a job is a job!

You know who brainwashed these kids? The generation that RAISED THEM and guided them down this path where the belief that the only way to succeed is to go to an expensive college for a worthless degree!!! While shouldering debt levels that their parents never had to shoulder.

This current economic environment is toxic, and even though this girl killed herself in 2010, I'm sure there are many, many other stories out there similar to this.

edit on 6-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by supremecommander

You forgot to add that even if the economy is awesome and booming there still would not be enough jobs to have the whole work capable population working anyways. I agree with your last post too

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

She's too innocent for this world alas, the world is a killer in more ways than one.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
One of the worst things about this is the fact when you apply for jobs they dont have the guts or decency to contact you and tell you that you have not gotten it and they dont give you a reason so all of your self confidence for future interviews goes down quickly.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Been in the same boat as her, I just graduated college in December and thought I would be able to easily get a job in my field of choice, I put in more than 200 applications, the amount I do not know for sure but I know it was over 200. After not hearing back from anybody at all I decided I was just going to go into the companies and talk to people. I was only able to talk to 3 or 4 people out of the 10 companies I went to and really only 1 even helped me a little bit.

I ended up with 2 job interviews from him, One was for a maintenance job which I would have done great at but didn't get, and the other was for manual labor and it was basically digging ditches and alot of gravel work. I didn't get that one either and that was kind of my last straw every bad thing I could think of came out and I thought it was hopeless trying to get a job in my industry.

After not getting the gravel job I applied to a bakery as a line worker and didn't get that either.

Anyway I ended up applying to a job for a company I never heard of and they actually called me back at 6:30 am the next morning and I was hired right then. then about 2 or 3 weeks after that I got another call for a different company that I took a job with. They are both on call so It's not regular work but it's a great foot in the door thing.

But I can definately see the point of view of this girl, when you don't get something you really want or if there is something you think that you can do well in and then not get it, it definately sends you crashing down. But all it takes is some perserverance and it might take a couple months or years but stick at it and you will get hired. It took me about 8 months to get to that point but every day I was either going in to see people, calling people or applying for jobs.

It's tough though you just have to shake it off and try and think of getting a job in an unusual way. Mine was finding the smaller companies and applying for them for anything they had because it's just a foot in the door.

The other thing too I saw was I had an interview with a Airlines and some guy showed up in sweats and a tshirt, at the bakery job I think I was the only one who showed up in a tie. I saw a teenager with a hat, sweatshirt and saggy jeans.

Originally posted by Nephalim
Yea, HERES A FUGGING TIP!

People need to make a damn living, quit being so damn picky and TRAIN some of these people.

yeah that frustrated me too, I have my water treatment license and the water companies here are regularly looking for level 2 which to get that I think it's 5 years experience. But I know 2 other people who got their P level (basically trainee license) license but nobody would hire us because we didn't have experience.
edit on 6-8-2013 by sandman441 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Being 26 and technically the same generation (I think), I can relate to this girl. We've all been told that we can be whatever we want. Some people, in my opinion, have taken that too literally. Finding a job is tough right now, especially if you're trying to find a specialized career. Some times you just have to swallow your pride and take a job you don't want because it's better than no job at all. I'm washing dishes right now. It's not what I imagined my self doing in my late 20's, but it's a paycheck, so I can't really complain.

Not that I don't sympathize with her and her family, it's just that sometimes you're looking for an over-booked position and the competition gets tough.

posted on Aug, 6 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

getting rejected from 200 jobs is not good reason to commit suicide.. maybe employers were able to tell she was not right and that is why they didn't hire her.

Who would kill themselves over something like this.

Employers can pick and choose who they hire, I don't think they need teh added pressure of people killing themselves over not getting a job.

I wish this woman would have gotten help before she committed such a stupid act.

what a shame.. my heart goes out to all affected by this tragedy .

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join