It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job Seeker, 21, Kills Herself After She Was Rejected for 200 Jobs.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

Winner! Winner! CHICKEN DINNER!

There's lots of free government training available, for 3 million trades jobs available right now paying over $25 an hour, according to "Dirty Jobs" guy Mike Rowe.

Unfortunately, Americans don't WANT to do these jobs.

This is on topic but another discussion in the end... Or maybe not~

Your absolutely correct!~ Especially for Males who are out of work! I hear of Men complaining there is no work and that Hispanics are taking over yet they don't flex there hammers or manual labor. They lament in issues that by my concerns are "That sounds like a YOU problem" for not getting your arse up and soliciting yourself to manual "Hard Labor"

A saying my mother raised me on: "Son, if your going to be a elephant $hit shoveler, you be the best damn $hit shoveler they ever had"

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
We can only really deal with general themes here because we don’t know about her underlying state of mind, nor about the fact she could have been applying for jobs she just was not qualified for – i.e. her expectations were just unrealistic. Regardless of the circumstances, any one taking their own life is a tragedy.

Youth unemployment in the UK is high, but all is not lost as there have been recent improvements, plus it is nowhere as bad as places like Spain, although that’s no consolation if you are sitting at home.

I have a few issues about youth unemployment.

Firstly, the university system has produced loads of people with pointless qualifications and there is anecdotal evidence that these people won’t do jobs they think are “below them” – easier to sit at home complaining.

Secondly, we know there a load of jobs out there because we have high levels of immigration with immigrants going straight into jobs.

As a case in point – I recently advertised for a job suitable for a graduate with a couple of years experience. 46 applications, eight invited to interview and two turned up and one appointed. It was a well paid job too, but the level of apathy was somewhat dispiriting.

Regards

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

Your absolutely right! My father taught me the same thing growing up, work smart, not hard and its the same I teach my children, my dad all my life had a few lets say problems with substances, and he never not had a job, or a side job when he needed extra money.

He would help pack bags at the supermarket, turn his car into a cab, and never had to rely on anyone for anything, even with his problems, he still always got by. He would even go on company vacations, after getting bonus', and if he didnt have the money to spend out there, he would sell his luggage space back to the airline to be sure that he had hang out money.

Sometimes you have to say what the hell, and do something, even in this economy I see people hiring people to do the simplest tasks, that tells me that there is money to be made!

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I have advice for the so-called "lost generation".. Abandon your corporate aspirations of dress-suits and six-figure salaries. It is the pursuit of the very evil that led this country to the edge of the abyss on which it is perched.

Instead, focus on community and family. The world has nothing but evil to offer if you live in pursuit of a paycheck. Start working hard for yourself to grow community gardens, find like-minded individuals that wish to do the same. Abandon the cities! There is nothing for you there. Repurpose the trash that has been left by the consumers. Use it as building blocks for your future.

Do everything "under the table" so to speak. Avoid having a legitimate income. Learn barter and trade.

Many mistakes made by many parties has left you holding a flaming bag of dog-pooh.

But don't forget the most important thing that has been handed to you... Time for yourself and your pursuits. Simplify, don't even attempt to have what your parents had. It will end in disappointment for you. Manage realistic expectations. Eat, drink, and live by your own toil. Decry the failing systems that look to you for support.

Wash your hands of it. Life was never a survivable deal, but to end it by your own hand is the biggest waste of all.

A good place to start.
www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-8-2013 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
For the tips section that the OP requested: network network network. Most everyone would rather work with someone they know and like, than an unknown. Hang out someplace that people in your chosen field hang out, get to know them, join a networking organization and attend their sessions. Find an older person in your chosen field that is a local, approach them and humbly but honestly seek a mentor. Be good at what you do, and be up to date with it as much as possible.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I always do interviews in a suit that is properly fitted. Attire is very important. Get a good suit only for the purpose of doing interviews. Do your homework and be prepared for those stupid interview questions. Provide value and be clever with your responses. Never be negative but most important of all wear neatly polished shoes in good condition.

Believe it or not, the look of your shoes can be the difference between a job offer and the common rejection statement, "We'll give you a call."
edit on 5-8-2013 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by DivisiveConformity

i so agree with you. how can one get experience if no one is willing to hire so that person can get experience?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I can totally relate to what this poor girl went through. I am 48 and allmost homeless. I can't even get a job at Mc Donalds? I feel like I am unemployable because of my age. Been living with my late fathers ex wife who is going into a senior citizen living center begining in october. If I don't find work or somewhere else to live I will undoubtibly be among the homeless. Sad world this is.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I have 2 friends right now that learned sewing patterns and making homemade bags for laptops and interchangeable accessories from watching youtube videos, and pintrest.

They both loved the vids and went half and half on a sewing machine, thats the kind of business that makes those that use resources to their fullest potential, then those that just watch t.v.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
gave up hope for the future,
don't want to be me any more.

its not about jobs.

It can be about life not working out as you have been told it should and hoped. I have been thru the go to collage to get a good job to find out that the need is an illusion to keep wages down and had to work in places where I was extremely overqualified for very low income. I will never earn back the money I should for those years in collage.

The older generation have left a crappy deal for their kids with inflated costs due to credit where they have to work more to get the same that they had.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Easy solution here... Stop raising the retirement age to benefit the government. Then the jobs will be released for the young. Think about the American citizens for once. In fact, put the retirement ages back where they used to be.! Oh wait, that just makes too much sense. I know it is a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation. But the older folks worked hard for deades. They are the ones who should be resting on their laurals. And the youngins need work to get their lives together.
edit on 5-8-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Hit the block and sell rocks. Problem solved.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh
I have advice for the so-called "lost generation".. Abandon your corporate aspirations of dress-suits and six-figure salaries. It is the pursuit of the very evil that led this country to the edge of the abyss on which it is perched.

Instead, focus on community and family. The world has nothing but evil to offer if you live in pursuit of a paycheck. Start working hard for yourself to grow community gardens, find like-minded individuals that wish to do the same. Abandon the cities! There is nothing for you there. Repurpose the trash that has been left by the consumers. Use it as building blocks for your future.

Do everything "under the table" so to speak. Avoid having a legitimate income. Learn barter and trade.

Many mistakes made by many parties has left you holding a flaming bag of dog-pooh.

But don't forget the most important thing that has been handed to you... Time for yourself and your pursuits. Simplify, don't even attempt to have what your parents had. It will end in disappointment for you. Manage realistic expectations. Eat, drink, and live by your own toil. Decry the failing systems that look to you for support.

Wash your hands of it. Life was never a survivable deal, but to end it by your own hand is the biggest waste of all.

A good place to start.
www.youtube.com...

I'm sorry but this is horrible advice. If you are going to recommend they become a criminal and break the law, you might as well recommend something illegal that's going to make them more money. That way, maybe they could have it as good as their parents, or at least eat, drink and live by their own toil a lil better.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

So, someone commit suicide and all you can do is say "Here, some advice to be even more adapted to a wretched system" ? A tie, a smile, a flower in the hair ? Are you serious ? Your advice is laughable, ridiculous, grotesque.

"It is not a sign of sanity to be well adapted to a sick society" - Krishnamurti.
edit on 5-8-2013 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

Hey if you have something better, than add it, but childish remarks, and rude behavior is not helping anyone.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bobaganoosh

A good place to start.
www.youtube.com...

Some more advice for the Lost Generation:

1. Maybe you shouldn't wear sandals or shorts to a job interview in an office setting.
2. No, your Facebook update is not more important then the question the person just giving you the interview asked.
3. Coming into an interview smelling of alcohol and/or pot or clearly high is probably not going to go over well.
4. Having at least a minimal understanding of basic grammar is not a bad thing.
5. Saying you are something and then literally having no experience in that field is just wasting multiple people's time.

I have personally experienced all 5 of those when taking part in interviews for new employees trying to get into where I work. Everything is a two way street. Anyone 30 or younger is pretty much hosed by their job prospect but that being said when you get an opportunity don't throw it away.

I am sure those of you here that feel being successful is a bad thing and the only way to be happy is to give up working , stop paying your bills and live on the street as some noble homeless person will chime in eventually about how my expecting a small amount of professionalism means I am stuck in the Matrix . If that's what gets you through life then great.

As for the person that committed suicide because of failed interviews. I am sorry and that is a horrible situation.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Listen, if you offed yourself over being out of work, you weren't going to make it anyway I suppose.

21 at that?

It's a damn shame that young people feel so constricted by the system at large that they choose to end it. That's a symptom of the system, but it's also a symptom of something far more nefarious.

"The High Self Esteem Parenting Crowd"

You know, the ones who tell their kids to be proud of themselves, before they've ever accomplished anything.

"The Special Snow Flake Crowd"

You know, the ones who tell their kids, all their lives that they are special and better than people and can do anything, without ever having to actually work hard, or be told no, or any of the other normal social circumstances that arise.

So, they get a little bit of rejection, either in business or romance, and suddenly, suicide is the only option.

It's Pathetic really.

ETA: Call me heartless, but she was either really not that smart, or had a TERRIBLE support system.

~Tenth
edit on 8/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
My best advice is to improve one's self. No..not by sinking into the pit of student loans just to get a job. It's not at all necessary. Sign up at Coursera.com or Alison.com and just go hog wild. Those both offer University courses 100% free of charge. They don't count for degree credit but you do get a cert to show you completed the class successfully.

If I had two identical applicants for the same position? One had put themselves out to take courses like that with no assurance of a payback at the end ....while the other just figured showing up was enough to get hired? There is NO question which one would get the job.

Just my suggestion.

and the one that showed up with experience and a 30 days left before their homeless ??

you would pick the one that got the cert over the one with 20 years experience .. with out the cert .. yes or no ??

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

I got a ton of crap once by posting to stop telling young adults that "they can be anything they want to be if they try hard enough", I still hear it, and parents say that it will give them low self esteem if they say otherwise, NOPE, not telling them the truth will give them much more than that.

I dont see it getting any better unless we start being better at excepting a few things.

One standing out no matter what you do is important, many of these interviewers have seen hundreds of applicants, and probably heard the same copy and paste reply.

Everything thing that you know how to do.. counts. So many people think that as long as you add only things they think are acceptable, they leave out things that make it known that they are reliable, energetic, etc,.

And what I see so much, is people adding a ridiculous amount in the "required" salary option.

Question on application.
How much money(wages/hourly/weekly) are you looking for, and people are writing 10-12-15 dollars an hour.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Does anyone remember this from January of 2012?
Ford announces they are hiring,
10 degree weather.

Six blocks, and the line just... keeps ... going...

Heartbreaking.

Mike

edit on 5-8-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join