It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Job Seeker, 21, Kills Herself After She Was Rejected for 200 Jobs.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by gosseyn

My thoughts exactly.

A young lady killed herself after experiencing utter hopelessness precipitated by the job market. "She obviously wasn't wearing the right shoes or networking enough"

Fail

edit on 5-8-2013 by djr33222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
but she was either really not that smart

So only idiots commit suicide? Only idiots have suicidal ideations? I'm quite intelligent and I've had suicidal ideations. You're painting people with a very broad, uninformed brush.

or had a TERRIBLE support system.

Perhaps she did, but is that her fault? You had no issue calling what she did pathetic, so it seems to me you believe having a terrible support system is her fault, given her "pathetic" choice.

If the majority of the people on this planet had the opposite mindset as you, we'd have fewer suicides. Rather than sitting back and calling people pathetic after they've killed themselves, we'd be focusing on spreading love and realistic solutions to prevent the suicides to begin with. But unfortunately, only the minority has the opposite mindset as you.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Listen, if you offed yourself over being out of work, you weren't going to make it anyway I suppose.

Really?

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Listen, if you offed yourself over being out of work, you weren't going to make it anyway I suppose.

21 at that?

~Tenth
edit on 8/5/2013 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

Yeah... a bunch of female make a lot of money nowadays stripping online or talking dirty on the tele....

there's a lot of money rolling through ebay/amazon selling...

I think people just need to be more optimistic... at least the homeless man with no chains on his ankles has the freedom to go where he pleases, he's not stuck in a vicious cycle of the working man... WORK.CONSUME.DIE. Jesus ... a carpenter at one point but a homeless wanderer the next... not a blue collar working slave to bills and insurance companies... (given the biblical character was truly real, this must be stated since we're on ATS and some people believe extreme theories)

Perhaps reality set in... she read up on some Kurt Cobain biographies and realized.... even if one day she did get her dream job she still would not be happy due to everything she worked so hard for became the exact opposite of what she first truly set out for and might end up turning to heroin to cope with her conundrum of a life ... ultimately leading to the same conclusion, suicide.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
www.moneynews.com

www.boston.com/business

www.npr.org

money.cnn.com

www.manufacturing.net/News/

www.google.com

my country, my country!!! I'm crying now...

edit on 5/8/2013 by MarkJS because: isn't it clear?? it's better to burn out, than it is to rust, they say.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
So sad....never give up....neverrrr.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   
It's the Entitlement Generation. I'm part of it. All of my friends have giant lists of things that are "beneath them".

I've recently quit my "day job" (accountant) to run my small business (food production). I've invited my out-of-work friends to help me out, but they were miserable to attempt to train. So I went to the local vocational college and asked for culinary students to intern - they understood the training and asked insightful questions, but when it came to working hauling anything, cleaning ANYTHING, sanitizing ANYTHING was "beneath them". I was told repeatedly by different people, "I went to college so I wouldn't have to wash dishes."

Give me a freaking break. Nice effort, Todd. (MST3K, anyone?)

I got into food production because I like chefs. I like 'em, like 'em. I've married and divorced two and dated a great many others. They have all been 10 - 20 years older than me and the hardest working people I've ever met with a great respect for "mexicans" who do hard labor. Yes, Virginia, kitchens have hard labor positions. It was only through knowing these chefs that I learned about food production. My father, who raised me proficiently, did not cook often.

Experience is King.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikhailBakunin
[ he's not stuck in a vicious cycle of the working man... WORK.CONSUME.DIE. Jesus ... a carpenter at one point but a homeless wanderer the next... not a blue collar working slave to bills and insurance companies... (given the biblical character was truly real, this must be stated since we're on ATS and some people believe extreme theories)

Posts like this make me laugh so please tell me what vicious cycle I am in?
I give it 3 posts before someone responds with a "if you dont know you are blind" bs.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
My country....

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by seaez

I am sorry that you think my advice is horrible.

Is the highlighted area to show the emphasis on what you find "wrong" with my advice? A question of legality?

Mind you that our US Government operates with blatant disregard to legality.

They have "taken control of their destinies" and cast aside the people and ideology of what has propelled them to the very positions they occupy.

All that I suggest to the "lost generation" is that they take control of their own destinies. That they find the strength to cast aside the ideology of consumerism and corporate government control, and abandon a corrupt and failing system that is "parasitic" in nature. It is obviously draining everybody of their will to survive.

MONEY is not nearly as valuable as the human SPIRIT! Why appease the oppressors with sycophantic admiration? Abandon them and cast them into irrelevance!

How is this bad advice?

ETA: Maybe I misspoke in my reference to legality.. I forget that they operate by a "classified" version of legality the likes of which I am not privy as a peon. Secret courts and secret law... Maybe what they do is legal, but it doesn't make it right. So what is left to do? Operate with obscurity and take on the aspect of the vague. Do things "under the table" so to speak. Maybe I've just learned it from the example of our leadership. Who's to say.
edit on 5-8-2013 by Bobaganoosh because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

Yeah... a bunch of female make a lot of money nowadays stripping online or talking dirty on the tele....

Are you saying she should have considered being an online stripper after she went to college for Media Studies and English...?

I mean, forget about your dream of being a teacher or television producer, there is a whole world of opportunity out there for those women willing to drop their panties in front of a webcam for a few bucks! Plenty of room for advancement and great networking opportunities too! At least with all that getting naked and talking dirty income you can afford to drive to job interviews and be rejected some more, k Strawberry Shortcake?

Pssh, and you thought everything was hopeless

-end sarcasm

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
You guys make great replys...we have wonderful people in our society. I love that. Cause I'm a Christian and I recognize your love. God, what a world. But here's what really happened.

The spirit domain is counted for a fraction of reality in the worldly view. Actually the Scriptures say we battle not against what we can see in this world, but the unseen. I'm a Bible Scholar, and yes, that was paraphrasing.

In the war I learned God of ther Bible is the real one. I've studied Prophecy since 1970....We have Him to call to, if we don't believe that we can call on Him then the Scripture says we are lost.

I don't know anything, but I know a about career and a degreell about the war in the spirit world, I have a special low and subdued place in this world, I learned long ago about career and a degree, and dropping out in the 4 th year with 109 credits....( pilot program on G I bill )...and losing loved ones....what I posted is the answer....

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA

Originally posted by MikhailBakunin
[ he's not stuck in a vicious cycle of the working man... WORK.CONSUME.DIE. Jesus ... a carpenter at one point but a homeless wanderer the next... not a blue collar working slave to bills and insurance companies... (given the biblical character was truly real, this must be stated since we're on ATS and some people believe extreme theories)

Posts like this make me laugh so please tell me what vicious cycle I am in?
I give it 3 posts before someone responds with a "if you dont know you are blind" bs.

the "work.consume.die." thingie didn't jump out at you?

Well since I started my recent job it's been eat... sleep... work... work ... work... work........ work... eat... sleep..... work .... work....... work..... work.... eat.... sleep.... etc.

ultimately... for what? to work consume and die....

I pay my bills and have a little left over for what? save? for what? to go buy and consume? for what? because I bought into some gimmick that one day I'll .... have MORE MONEY? for what? to live happily and... CONSUME? I don't get it... so I'm living to work... consume... to live to eat more and consume so I can wake up the next day and go back to work to .... make more money and ... yada yada yada... THAT vicious cycle....

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
I can totally relate to what this poor girl went through. I am 48 and allmost homeless. I can't even get a job at Mc Donalds? I feel like I am unemployable because of my age. Been living with my late fathers ex wife who is going into a senior citizen living center begining in october. If I don't find work or somewhere else to live I will undoubtibly be among the homeless. Sad world this is.

I can relate to this too. I was laid off in 2009 and finally found another job in 2012. I think my age also had something to do with it taking so long. From 2009 to 2012 I ran a small cleaning company. Not very glamorous but very easy and cheap to get into. Most of my business in the beginning came through friends and then word of mouth helped some as well. I'm still running a small version of the company for the moment. I just bid a job for cleaning office buildings. If I get it then my husband has a job
If I don't I will have to shut it down because I can't clean houses and work a full time job. Individuals aren't really agreeable to having their homes cleaned at night. I have used contract labor but they usually find something better at some point and it is really hard to find people that I feel I can trust to put in someone's house. Like I said, cleaning is not glamorous and not always that easy.

My husband was laid off in 2010 and tried doing his own thing for a year - didn't work out and he's still out of work. He mows yards and does handyman jobs now and so does bring in some income. He is over 50 and I too believe that has something to do with the lack of calls. He has 29 years in a fairly specialized field and is extremely knowledgeable.

All I can end with is keep plodding along. I don't know if you are male/female but either can clean houses. You probably have everything you need on hand. If your father's ex is elderly she probably has some elderly friends that might pay for cleaning services or for someone to do errands, etc.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Props NRE!

But if I may interject.

I may be (probably am) repeating but here goes.

This is the result when we don't teach our children how to lose, or how to fail.

This is the result of "everyone gets a trophy".

Sorry, but the progressive, big government crowd is responsible for her death.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by djr33222
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

Are you saying she should have considered being an online stripper after she went to college for Media Studies and English...?

I mean, forget about your dream of being a teacher or television producer, there is a whole world of opportunity out there for those women willing to drop their panties in front of a webcam for a few bucks! Plenty of room for advancement and great networking opportunities too! At least with all that getting naked and talking dirty income you can afford to drive to job interviews and be rejected some more, k Strawberry Shortcake?

Pssh, and you thought everything was hopeless

-end sarcasm

hahahhaa...

yeah I get a kick out of it to... how silly the female is to use men and their hormones to make money!!! how low can you stoop? but whatever... if they can get retarded men and their genitalia to dish it out... TAKE IT! right? when you pay your bills.... they don't ask you if you killed someone for this money or shown your goodies or sold crack or simply stole it out of the offering plate... they just take the money and smile.... because that's the world we live in.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Op's source is from 2010 but I can see where a bad economy could cause people to go off the deep end. Hopefully, things get better for everyone who are struggling through this economy.

Peace

Not only was this from 2010, it is from England.

I see a lot of people talking about America and Obama, but this is a different story.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
A levels in film and media studies are worth absolutely nothing. There are 1000's of people unemployed who made the mistake in chasing that dream. A lot of them carried on to degree level and are still out of work.

Its sad she felt so bad about it that she decided she had to kill herself. The pressure put on people by the jobcenter these days to find work at minimum wage doing awful jobs is just to much for some people.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Komodo

and the one that showed up with experience and a 30 days left before their homeless ??

you would pick the one that got the cert over the one with 20 years experience .. with out the cert .. yes or no ??

Well, now if you change the variables? You change the answer. I had said identical applicants with the difference being the time in to get that certification. It's a whole different ballgame if the one without is sitting on 20 years of relevant experience. Sorry, but that trumps a very recent academic knowledge for something every time, if all other things are equal.

The homeless part isn't a factor in my mind. I worked when I was homeless at 18. I made the times and did the work required. So did others around me in the same boat. I'd insure they didn't think it would cause a disruption (They had some planning to deal with that) but assuming yes? It's not a factor and shouldn't be to ability and character, IMO.

posted on Aug, 5 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

All of why this country and the western world for that matter- is in the mess that it's in... click on the links.

In the last days, this...

2 Timothy 3:1-3
Perilous Times and Perilous Men

3 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good,
2 Timothy 3:1-3 NKJV

edit on 5/8/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join