It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rise in violence 'linked to climate change'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Commenting on the research, Dr Stephan Harrison from the University of Exeter said it was a "timely study".

"What they have found is entirely plausible... For example, we already know that hotter and drier weather causes an increase in urban violence. Likewise, during cooler and wetter weather people tend to stay indoors, and the threat diminishes."

However, other researchers have questioned whether climate breeds conflict.

Yup that would be my guess,

www.bbc.co.uk...

Quantifying the Influence of Climate on Human Conflict
www.sciencemag.org...

www.pnas.org...

Commenting on the latest research, he said: "I disagree with the sweeping conclusion (the authors) draw and believe that their strong statement about a general causal link between climate and conflict is unwarranted by the empirical analysis that they provide.

"I was surprised to see not a single reference to a real-world conflict that plausibly would not have occurred in the absence of observed climatic extremes. If the authors wish to claim a strong causal link, providing some form of case validation is critical."

Washington at Valley Forge
www.ushistory.org...

WW2

Napoleon's Invasion of Russia
www.geographia.com...

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Actually, the upswing of energy in the environment can increase violence. If a person has good convictions, they can somewhat control this and this was one of the best teachings that religions taught. Bite your tongue, look before you leap, and many other sayings have been formed over the years to try to control this. Saying a little religious prayer helps to remind people that there is noone that is perfect in this world, everyone sees things a little different.

The Solar Max creates a lot of chaos throughout the world, tie that to global temperature patterns and you may find reasons for war. You need to remember, the wars can lag behind the solar max though, because the tension keeps increasing in people after the event that triggered it is gone sometimes. Wars lag a year or two behind, civil unrest does not always go away with the trigger that caused it. It can build perpetually increasing energy on it's own.

S&F for bringing me new information that is emerging, I never thought to apply global warming to my spinning tornado of thought.

If the energy level of the body exceeds the ability of the mind to control the energy, chaotic thought can become common. It is hard for people to control this chaotic thought that overloads the brain. Sometimes people do things they later regret, if they have a conscience, after these events. Wetting someone down can cause the energy to dissipate from the skin. A simple sprinkler in your yard. a trip to look at a waterfall, or to go swimming can help to regain civility. I would rather look at solutions to the problems than to worry about the problems.
edit on 2-8-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Some of your points did cross my mind, it doesn't seem like it matters much what the climate is for man to behave badly.

What do you think the climate setting would be for peace?

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Here is another

Researchers analyzed 60 studies on historic empire collapses, recent wars, violent crime rates in the United States, lab simulations that tested police decisions on when to shoot and even cases where pitchers threw deliberately at batters in baseball. They found a common thread over centuries: Extreme weather -- very hot or dry -- means more violence.

When the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change updates its report next year on the impacts of global warming, it will address the issue of impacts on war for the first time, said Carnegie Institution scientist Chris Field, who heads that worldwide study group. The new study is likely to play a big role, he said.

timesfreepress.com...

"The world will be a very violent place by mid-century if climate change continues as projected," said Thomas Homer-Dixon, a professor of diplomacy at the Balsillie School of International Affairs in Ontario.

papers.ssrn.com...

hmm, I dunno

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
The Solar Max creates a lot of chaos throughout the world, tie that to global temperature patterns and you may find reasons for war. You need to remember, the wars can lag behind the solar max though, because the tension keeps increasing in people after the event that triggered it is gone sometimes. Wars lag a year or two behind, civil unrest does not always go away with the trigger that caused it. It can build perpetually increasing energy on it's own.

I believe this, too

I have have come across articles saying even wars are started at Solar Maximum. Google Aleksandr Leonidovich Chizhevsky divided the sunspot cycle into four phases that correlate to human behavior.

I don't believe in many of the theories, well, Astrology, to be totally honest. But, on this theory, i do believe that Solar Max can cause these things.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: spelling

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The Happiest Places In The World

Latin American countries

Here is the World Database of Happiness

www1.eur.nl...

In Pictures: World's Happiest Places

www.forbes.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
A Journey Through Climate History
www.abc.net.au...

well that didn't help.

Solar Activity and Human History
www.oa.uj.edu.pl...
edit on 083131p://bFriday2013 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Sun's 2013 Solar Activity Peak Is Weakest in 100 Years - See more at: www.space.com...

July 12, 2013

Though the sun is currently in the peak year of its 11-year solar weather cycle, our closest star has been rather quiet over all, scientists say.

This year's solar maximum is shaping up to be the weakest in 100 years and the next one could be even more quiescent, scientists said Thursday (July 11).

"It's the smallest maximum we've seen in the Space Age," David Hathaway of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Ala., told reporters in a teleconference.
- See more at: www.space.com...

Here is an article from 2006
March 14, 2006

We’ve now reached the Sun’s solar minimum; there’s not a sunspot anywhere across the surface of our closest star. Give it a few years, though, and it should be anything but quiet. Solar researchers think they understand the long term cycles of solar activity, and they’re predicting that the next Solar Maximum – expected to arrive between 2010 and 2012 – will be the strongest in 50 years.

Read more: www.universetoday.com...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
So does this mean I can use the weather as an excuse when me and the wife have an argument?

King

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Solar cycle 22

en.wikipedia.org...

March 1989 geomagnetic storm

1986 spawned a strong Cycle 22.
www.space.com...

wars for period 1983-1986
wiki.answers.com...

List of wars 1945–89
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingears
So does this mean I can use the weather as an excuse when me and the wife have an argument?

King

sure why not

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Commenting on the latest research, he said:.....
"I was surprised to see not a single reference to a real-world conflict that plausibly would not have occurred in the absence of observed climatic extremes. If the authors wish to claim a strong causal link, providing some form of case validation is critical."

"providing some form of case validation is critical"

You would think so, especially considering that the AGW so called 'experts' never
actually proved AGW, fake hockey stick and all. Then afterwards they were disgraced
and moved on to try and salvage the movement into "Climate Change".

So now they are on the bandwagon, claiming that a rise in violence
(for which they have NO example of) is linked to Climate Change?

Which of course, will lead to calls of new taxes. Tax the people more,
tax the counties, the cities, the states and the nations because we all know
that more tax money will alleviate the violence.

My my these people are SO predictable!

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Tranquil waters on an Island somewhere where temperatures stay between 65 and 75 degrees year round. An Island where food that doesn't include a lot of exitotoxins being present. Maybe the people may not be really smart but they will be friendly. Along with such a scenario is also a need to control the population of the island, this means they would develop ways to keep overcrowding from destroying the food chain. We would call this a primitive practice nowaday, but in essence we do it all the time subconsciously, telling people to try a new food that can sooner or later cause a change in body chemistry that causes gradual death. This seems to be allowed as humane in society. Give people long term medications for a temporary incident and it causes damage to the liver or other organs. Same with eating potatoes and bananas in the same day for many people, it causes a reaction that leads to major problems in some people. I'm trying to find if they are incorporating the genetics of timothy into any other of our foods to make them more resilient, this may explain the tripling of the peanut allergy over the last ten years. It may not necessarily be the peanut that is the problem, the cross reactivity of the peanut and timothy is well known, the problem may be they crossed timothy with wheat, which is exempt from GM labeling laws. Only when you cross to other species....plant/fungus/animal/microbe/etc do you have to call it GM. I guess this means crossing humans with pigs is not considered GM by this policy.

Sorry for getting so off topic. I was just trying to explain that we car constantly doing the same things subconsciously in our society today. Kids are always daring other kids to do something dangerous.

posted on Aug, 2 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

join