It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to close embassies over security fears

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

US to close embassies over security fears

www.aljazeera.com

The United States has said it would close an unspecified number of embassies around the world on Sunday over security concerns.

State department spokeswoman Marie Harf on Thursday called the step "precautionary" but declined to specify the threat or list which missions would be closed.

"The Department of State has instructed certain US embassies and consulates to remain closed or to suspend operations on Sunday, August 4," Harf told reporters.

The decision was taken "out of an abundance of caution and care for our employees and others who may be visiting our installations," she
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Just seen Wolf Blitzer talk about this on CNN, breaking news here. Anyone have any idea what's up? Getting us ready for a potential attack? Geez. Not good news when you hear the U.S. plans on shutting down their embassies around the globe!

I've heard of them shutting down a few here and there, but never an "unspecified" amount, or where they are located. Seems strange to me.

Thoughts everybody?

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Not sure what's going on.... But if I was an American Tourist I would take that as a "Get the flock outta dodge" "Exit stage right" and get my ass back on American Soil ASAP~

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Seriously! Too bad there's no more information at this point in time. It would really be helpful knowing where they don't want us to be around!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Interesting news.

Perhaps the US is planning on angering many countries very soon, and they dont want another benghazi-ish PR fiasco.

Has nothing to do with caring about the people, as the claim.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Well that makes me feel a "whole" lot better....

No, Likey~

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hmm; did give a specific number of embassy's or?

Strange news, I would try and find out if any over seas military bases are closing and heading back home. Or where more troops are being send to.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko

Strange news, I would try and find out if any over seas military bases are closing and heading back home. Or where more troops are being send to.

Nope, no specific number nor where they are located. Something smells fishy to me.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Well, if we wanted to not simply give the impression of being weak but remove all doubt to the world? This does that very effectively.

US Embassies have been under some level of threat since the 1960's when terrorism properly came into being with the '68 hijacking of an Airliner by the PLO. They were blown up entirely a couple times in the 80's and 90's. Yet Reagan, Bush and Clinton did not deem the display of outright FEAR to be a productive response to terrorist threat. Nor have many, IF ANY other major world powers outside of active or soon to be active war zones.

When we start shutting down full Embassies out of fear, like children hiding under the covers? We might as well close up shop around the world. Everyone now knows it's not a question of IF the US will turn tail and run. It's only a question of what circumstances need to be created so it's the EASIER option left open.

I swear...South America as a place to spend my final decade or two is starting to look better and better. The only thing worse for Americans than a rogue nation, running across the world shooting people is a WEAK one with as much to take and plunder as we have. ...Of course, no one cares right now. It's about politics. We're SO screwed.
edit on 1-8-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

This is what i found :

At least six embassies have announced that they will close on Sunday in accordance with the State Department's guidance, including the U.S. embassies in Qatar, Kuwait, Israel, Bangladesh, Jordan, and Egypt.

www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Honestly doesn't that just sound like baiting your enemy to attack??

They want a new dynamic to this expanding conflict and new players to enter the ring it seems.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

This is what i found :

At least six embassies have announced that they will close on Sunday in accordance with the State Department's guidance, including the U.S. embassies in Qatar, Kuwait, Israel, Bangladesh, Jordan, and Egypt.

www.cbsnews.com...

Geez, those 6 embassies shutting down makes it seem like U.S. is just about ready to put boots on the ground in Syria. Hope to God that's NOT the case, which it probably won't be.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizen519

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge

This is what i found :

www.cbsnews.com...

Geez, those 6 embassies shutting down makes it seem like U.S. is just about ready to put boots on the ground in Syria. Hope to God that's NOT the case, which it probably won't be.

Yeah, i was really worried that it is Syria related too ,actually started the search with US embassy in Israel status. but Bangladesh one does not fit into Syria relation. It is near India.
Edit:
Of course it could be there to create exactly this kind of confusion. Not very warming thought.
edit on 1-8-2013 by ZeroKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Those particular embassies make me go hmm. Also to note this is not a shutting down of embassies but a will be closed on Sunday Aug 4th specifically...
edit on 1-8-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Yeah, but it also states that some may be closed longer, depending on the situation.

Either way, I'm intrigued. What's going on?!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
More info from NBC; worldnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

Al-Qaeda threat is what they're saying. In which case I don't know that shutting down the embassy in Israel makes much sense.
edit on 1-8-2013 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Good point, ha.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
tables sure have turned.

hero becomes the villain, the police become the terrorists, the the agricultural department becomes the poisoner, thugs are the idols, dumb is the new cool, ......

the world is upside down ....

My my my what a tangled web we weave, when we practice to deceive

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Maybe there is direct involvement in syria comeing. Would explain the israel shut down as it could flare up and become messy extremy fast.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join