It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorola Droid Failing to Charge or Turn On

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
So I accidentally dropped some liquid on my phone over the course of the night, and I set it aside not realizing. This morning, that moisture appears to have done considerable damage. The light on the charging port is not turning on, and the previously half-charged battery is no longer quite sure of what its status is, judging by the question mark on the battery picture that is basically the only image showing up on the screen, besides the motorola logo and occasional sprint logo.

I have tried drying it out using an air conditioner. I dare not use any ovens or any unconventional methods like that. I have tried jiggling the metal end of the USB in the port. I have tried everything but flinging it out the window or body slamming it out of frustration. Does anybody here have any ideas other than ordering a new one? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
edit on 1-8-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Motorola Droid Failing to Charge or Turn On
Oh,you bought a phone like mine,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by piequal3because14

In case you weren't aware, this is not exactly one of my humorous moments. If you don't have anything constructive to add, please make yourself scarce. There are plenty of other threads to be a nuisance on, it's not like your options are limited. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

n case you weren't aware, this is not exactly one of my humorous moments. If you don't have anything constructive to add, please make yourself scarce. There are plenty of other threads to be a nuisance on, it's not like your options are limited. Thank you.
You can go to an authorised Motorola service, or you can disassemble it and leave it to dry for one day,after which will work.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Any other suggestions? Please? I'd like to have a few different game plans here, in case one or another doesn't work.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Take the battery out of the phone and place both of them into a plastic storage bin ( tupperware sort of thing ) with a bag of raw rice. Seal it and let it sit for a day.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Absolutely. I've done this, and had it work before.
Though, I'd recommend two days.

If that fails, there is a moisture indicator for your phone. The store uses it to determine if it is warranty or not. There are some techniques for "tricking" this, that you may or may not want to look up, so you could get it replaced under warranty....
But I didn't mention it....

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I dropped my phone in a sink as I was trying to wash my hands... And when I got home I took the phone part and put it in a bag of rice. It worked after I did that.
eta- it took about 2 to 3 days to dry completely...at least from what I remember

Good luck
edit on 1-8-2013 by natalia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Is rice the best or only solution?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Any kind of drying agent, but rice is the most easily accessible (and cheapest). I just put mine right in a bag with it (no container). 2 days later, it worked fine.

On my wife's phone though, we had to do the moisture indicator trick.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Its unfortunate because I don't want to waste money on rice, and I don't want to lose the phone either. I'm wondering if leaving it out in the warm air under the sun would work as well...I'm exploring all options here.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Take battery out. Place it and phone in a zip-lock baggie full of rice for at least 12 hours. (Absorbs moisture.) Inspect battery compartment for any small foam-like squares that expand and change color when moisture touches them-- they are put there to indicate water damage, but a side effect is they can actually push the battery away from making contact.

I don't have your kind of phone, so I don't know if it has those little foam squares or not. I did have a Motorola brand cell phone a few years back. I dropped it in the toilet and someone clued me in to the expandable foam evidence. (My plan covered running over your phone with a car, but no moisture damage.)

I scraped those little squares out, and almost got it working. Finally took it back to the store and they gave me a new phone after 3 different employees puzzled over inspecting the inside of it. (I'm guessing they were looking for those little blame-squares.)

Ooops, others already said the rice thingy. Oh well, great minds think alike.

edit on 8/1/2013 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

I'm not sure if only solution. I don't know about best either, it just works. But I understand if you don't wanna go buy rice. You could try just letting it dry but it seems that the moisture that's caught in there may not come out without some help. These are all just my opinions...I'm not a phone tech or anything

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Heat could well cause any internal moisture to end up causing even more damage by converting to steam and effecting other parts of the phone.

Rice is a very effective desiccant in this situation and is preferable to most other readily available products that work this way - because the grains are big enough to not pose a huge risk of getting into the phone and causing a lot of other problems, such as circuit bridging.

A bag of generic rice goes ( around here ) for about a buck fifty... A new Droid phone - substantially more.
edit on 8/1/13 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I'm honestly not sure rice would do any good at this point, which is why I am reluctant. The phone isn't charging or anything. It only turns on when it's plugged in...and even then, it only turns on.

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by Gazrok

Its unfortunate because I don't want to waste money on rice, and I don't want to lose the phone either. I'm wondering if leaving it out in the warm air under the sun would work as well...I'm exploring all options here.

Step 1: get some sense of humor back. Or don't take it out on ATS members if they don't share your lack of humor. Best way to get help: appear friendly and worthy of someones help

Step 2: buy some rice. It is a buck or less for a bag big enough to do what you need. If think its "wasting money", eat the rice when you are done.

Step 3: Don't get your phone wet in the future

Best I can do for you.
The rice thing is the best solution out there. Viva la physics!!!

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Rice Rice baby

Rice can work in many many moisture situations. These people that are mentioning rice, are mentioning for a reason.
I've used it, and it works a good percentage of the time. I support phones as part of my job ( I hate that part) LOL.

Don't keep turning it on. later on, if you test it, and it works, but there are still symptoms...It's possible moisture is still there, and may have shifted in the phone...Rice..

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I'm honestly not sure rice would do any good at this point, which is why I am reluctant. The phone isn't charging or anything. It only turns on when it's plugged in...and even then, it only turns on.

Same with mine man. It was dead to the world. Two days later, just like new.

It's less than $2 to try it. Really, what have you got to lose on it?

Even if it doesn't work, combining that with tricking the moisture sensor will at least fool them at the phone store...towards getting a replacement.

Don't keep turning it on. later on, if you test it, and it works, but there are still symptoms...It's possible moisture is still there, and may have shifted in the phone...Rice..

Yep, good advice.

edit on 1-8-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'm buying some later when I go to dinner. Would moisture screw with the charging abilities as well?

posted on Aug, 1 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Step 1: get some sense of humor back. Or don't take it out on ATS members if they don't share your lack of humor. Best way to get help: appear friendly and worthy of someones help

I'm sorry if I don't appear "friendly and worthy" of peoples' help. I asked for advice, someone stopped by to poke fun. I'm not going to humor their attempts. And I don't appreciate you jumping on it either. My phone is very important to me, and anyone making fun of the situation isn't "friendly or worthy" in my eyes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join