It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ELO music by ELO avatar guy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
If you like progressive and/or classic rock music, you might get some use out of this thread. I get a lot of compliments on my avatar, which is adapted from Electric Light Orchestra's 1977 double-album "Out of the Blue." It is an image of a 1946 Wurlitzer jukebox speaker modified to look like a UFO. (not to be confused with any of Boston's UFO album covers
)

ELO was a unique musical group for featuring string arrangements over typical electric rock music--while still finding room to experiment with new sounds in the studio that emerging technology continually brought them.

Despite their typically "not friendly for radio" (meaning, it wasn't pop music) songs, they managed to make too many hits to include here, so instead, I'll include a few of the lesser-known gems that are among my favorites. Feel free to join my rockin' party UFO and add to the list! (Don't be shy about adding other progressive/classic rock tunes either.)

Do Ya

Poker

Ticket to the Moon

Livin' Thing

Confusion

Laredo Tornado

Loser Gone Wild

Starlight

Wild West Hero

edit on 31-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I went to that show promoting that album. Great. They "materialized" on stage with the saucer. (Stage tricks of course...still awe inspiring.)

Their opening acts? Heart and Eddie Money!

I just "can't get it out of my head" (die-hard fams will catch that!)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

I love ELO, and I love this one-off band, a tribute to ELO called LEO, I bet you will, too:

From their awesome Alpacas Orgling album.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

If you consider soulless mind-numbingly no balls drivel classic as progressive rock
I guess your correct

However this was written 3 years earlier

"Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is a nine-part Pink Floyd composition written by Roger Waters, Richard Wright and David Gilmour. It is a tribute to former band member Syd Barrett. The song was first performed on their 1974 French tour, and recorded for their 1975 concept album Wish You Were Here.

This is music with soul

Just for a start

Cody

edit on 31/7/13 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by cody599
soulless mind-numbingly no balls drivel

I guess you would know a lot about that, wouldn't you?

As if I don't know what Pink Floyd and Led Zep are about

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Jeff Lynn is a massive Birmingham City Football Club supporter as am i. Birmingham City are know as "The Blues" When the team walk out onto the pitch the music played is "Mr Blue Sky"
Jeff can do no wrong as a fellow Birmingham supporter Top man.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha

Originally posted by cody599
soulless mind-numbingly no balls drivel

I guess you would know a lot about that, wouldn't you?

As if I don't know what Pink Floyd and Led Zep are about

Yep

I listen to real music

Cody

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I like this live version of Mr Blue Sky.

The sound quality isn't up to much.

I had the pleasure of seeing them in Edinburgh in the 80s, back when music was still music ( well...sort of...who am I kidding, even new wave beats the pants of todays music).

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by alldaylong
Jeff Lynn is a massive Birmingham City Football Club supporter as am i. Birmingham City are know as "The Blues" When the team walk out onto the pitch the music played is "Mr Blue Sky"

I thought you were all Sir Harry Lauder fans

( sorry, but this ones off topic...but still class)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Yeah, but they don't have any UFO album covers for me to use an as avatar. This is why the thread is about ELO (if you bothered to read the OP.)

I like Zep and Floyd just fine, but the thread isn't about them because I don't have an avatar reference to them. I would consider Pink Floyd progressive rock--Zeppelin? No, I don't think they fall into that category.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knobby

Originally posted by alldaylong

I thought you were all Sir Harry Lauder fans

( sorry, but this ones off topic...but still class)

Keep Right On To The End Of The Road is the football club anthem. It has been since the 1950's. The fans never sing Mr Blue Sky it's only the team walk on music.

Talking of Scot's Sir Alex Ferguson's father was a Birmingham Fan. Strange indeed

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I'll happily quote your u2u

Wanna bet on the last one ?

Cody

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by cody599

Yeah, but they don't have any UFO album covers for me to use an as avatar. This is why the thread is about ELO (if you bothered to read the OP.)

I like Zep and Floyd just fine, but the thread isn't about them because I don't have an avatar reference to them. I would consider Pink Floyd progressive rock--Zeppelin? No, I don't think they fall into that category.

I would call Zep "Regressive Rock". And I mean that in a complimentary way.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

Agreed, my friend. Led Zep is very "back-to-the-basics" rock and blues in my opinion. Pink Floyd has been called "psychadelia" in many circles...I guess that's not true of their later works.

Now ELO, I consider prog rock because that's a term haphazardly thrown around when a band isn't easy to classify

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Since you asked for other clasics in your OP, I'd like to throw in hawkwinds Silver Machine.

It's got it all.

...a young Lemmy.

...nutcase drummer.

...some guy going full on Jimi Hendrix on an electric flute.

... and a lovely buxom girl that's having a problem with her timepiece.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I should post one of my faves, which is this one. Mentioned in an earlier post.

Let me add a UFO from the 70's, although I am not sure if they ever had an album cover with a UFO on it.
From 1977
UFO
Light's Out
That's Michael Schenker Shredding, for those who want to know.

edit on 31-7-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

F.Y.I.:

Members are welcome to start thread about their favorite type of music or group....but this thread should be about ELO and their music

carry on, classic rockers

edit on Wed Jul 31 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 07:18 PM
link   
ELO live, London 1976 - entire concert. Good stuff.

posted on Jul, 31 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
this is my favorite elo tune

i also like tull

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join