It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6 Types of Atheists and Non-Believers in America

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueMule

Blue, what is your opinion about "humanism" and "pluralism"?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Blue, what is your opinion about "humanism" and "pluralism"?

I think of humanism as a personality trait... the opposite of fundamentalism. On one end of the spectrum are religious humanists and on the other end are religious fundamentalists.

As personality traits they are also found in non-religious people. So, for example #4s are secular fundamentalists.

Secular Humanism is fine as long as it isn't used as a smoke-screen to hide the activism and hostility of #4s.

I accept pluralism.

edit on 12-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

On one end of the spectrum are religious humanists and on the other end are religious fundamentalists.

Well put.
I think if I had to join a church, it would probably be either the Bah'ai faith, or the Unitarian Universalists.

But, I prefer to stay "unengaged" when it comes to signing up for "organized packaged dogma."
edit on 12-7-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Interesting opinions.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

You could consider being a comparativist. The problem is it takes lots of reading. It's not a matter of membership and organization.

edit on 12-7-2013 by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well, it was a research study. "Opinions"? Do you find fault the six categories? Please do elaborate.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   

You could consider being a comparativist. The problem is it takes lots of reading.

I'm already there, for 20+ plus years now. Doing it still/have done it. I get your point. YAY for reading.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Okay, friends. I'm going to go improve my knowledge and alter my state of mind.

Outside. In nature.

I'll look forward to seeing how this is coming along tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Well, it was a research study. "Opinions"? Do you find fault the six categories? Please do elaborate.

The people interviewed shared their opinions didn't they? I don't really have a critique, it was just interesting.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   
The amount to which people need to label others is correlative to how fearful they are of others. Labelling others is a sign of weakness.

It appears as if some are quite proud of their weakness and display it like a peacock would their feathers.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

Its innate for humans to categorize themselves. Its in the behaviour genetics.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Hey Lucid. What do you think it says about someone who makes an effort not to label or be labled but just identify concepts and ideals? Just wondering.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Magician...? Researching into Paranormal?

How does this invalidate their atheism?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Joining late, but interesting discussion.

I'm mostly a #5, Non-Theist, and sometimes, when the need arises, a #3 Seeker-Agnostic.

I do understand that for most people some faith in a superior power is essential. In my opinion, god exists only in people's mind. And what's the point to try to convince somebody that his trip is just a trip? As long as he's enjoying it....The reality has many faces, we are living each one of us in its own private world of concepts and truths. So I wouldn't try to argue about a reality that is not mine.
What I know for sure is that none of those who scream and fight about God have the slightest idea what God is. None of them really know God. It's only a concept in their mind.

Only very few seem to have some insight into this matter.
But...
"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk, don't know".
edit on 12-7-2013 by WhiteHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Anti-theist here.

Proud one too.

What you wanna fight about it

It appears as if some are quite proud of their weakness and display it like a peacock would their feathers.

On second thought I was just kidding

edit on 12-7-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Woah there, tiger. Everybody makes mistakes and Phil likes to proactively correct them. What's wrong with that?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by LesMisanthrope

How is it a sign of weakness? Labels are part of communication. It helps to define our vantage point in the vast web of communication.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Gah. Double post! Really wish we could delete our own.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
reply to post by Briles1207

Why do people want to change peoples Minds?

Interesting how we all believe we can/should do this in other contexts, but when it comes to religious beliefs it's taboo and apparently immune to scrutiny.

I do understand that for most people some faith in a superior power is essential.

And what's the point to try to convince somebody that his trip is just a trip? As long as he's enjoying it...

So I wouldn't try to argue about a reality that is not mine.

I wouldn't argue or oppose belief in an entity or any metaphysical force unless attached to that was dogmatic beliefs that impacted society.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Philodemus

I am sorry wild.

Just stop apologizing, Phil. Grow a thick skin. You have every right to your opinions. If you're right, you're right. If you're wrong, you may have the good sense to learn and grow from it.

I am every number on that list. Depends on my mood and just how childish the religious person is being - like bluemule is being right now. Religions always want to spread the word and save your soul and fix you. They have to try and save you because in the eyes of god we are all sinners, so it's better to remove the grain of sand from your eye than to wrestle with the log in their own eyes. Sick people, they are.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join