It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hobbits confirmed as new species of human

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
A new study of homo florensis skull confirms that they are a distinct species.

July 10, 2013 — Ever since the discovery of the remains in 2003, scientists have been debating whether Homo floresiensis represents a distinct Homo species, possibly originating from a dwarfed island Homo erectus population, or a pathological modern human. The small size of its brain has been argued to result from a number of diseases, most importantly from the condition known as microcephaly.

Based on the analysis of 3-D landmark data from skull surfaces, scientists from Stony Brook University New York, the Senckenberg Center for Human Evolution and Palaeoenvironment, Eberhard-Karls Universität Tübingen, and the University of Minnesota provide compelling support for the hypothesis that Homo floresiensis was a distinct Homo species.
The study, titled "Homo floresiensis contextualized: a geometric morphometric comparative analysis of fossil and pathological human samples," is published in the July 10 edition of PLOS ONE.
The ancestry of the Homo floresiensis remains is much disputed. The critical questions are: Did it represent an extinct hominin species? Could it be a Homo erectus population, whose small stature was caused by island dwarfism?
Or, did the LB1 skull belong to a modern human with a disorder that resulted in an abnormally small brain and skull? Proposed possible explanations include microcephaly, Laron Syndrome or endemic hypothyroidism ("cretinism").
The scientists applied the powerful methods of 3-D geometric morphometrics to compare the shape of the LB1 cranium (the skull minus the lower jaw) to many fossil humans, as well as a large sample of modern human crania suffering from microcephaly and other pathological conditions. Geometric morphometrics methods use 3D coordinates of cranial surface anatomical landmarks, computer imaging, and statistics to achieve a detailed analysis of shape.
This was the most comprehensive study to date to simultaneously evaluate the two competing hypotheses about the status of Homo floresiensis.
The study found that the LB1 cranium shows greater affinities to the fossil human sample than it does to pathological modern humans. Although some superficial similarities were found between fossil, LB1, and pathological modern human crania, additional features linked LB1exclusively with fossil Homo. The team could therefore refute the hypothesis of pathology.
"Our findings provide the most comprehensive evidence to date linking the Homo floresiensis skull with extinct fossil human species rather than with pathological modern humans. Our study therefore refutes the hypothesis that this specimen represents a modern human with a pathological condition, such as microcephaly," stated the scientists.

www.sciencedaily.com...
edit on 12-7-2013 by punkinworks10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by punkinworks10

Maybe they are the reason of so many "little people" folk tales

Who knows they still may be about hiding

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

It's customary to provide the reader with a link to the source so they can review the claims

I'm interested and would like to read more.

Sounds fascinating.

ETA: Thanks for the updated edit and link now provided

edit on 12-7-2013 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

no worries...

I got the video...

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
'Hobbit' fossil a distinct human species
This is the most recent article i could find on this subject.

This is very interesting! I wonder if their intelligence was higher or lower than other human species at that time.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DeepVisions

Lower to the ground Iam sure

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Ha Ha

After watching that I need my dramamine

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
It could also be a case of Microcephaly :

Microcephaly is a neurodevelopmental disorder. It is an important neurologic sign but there is nonuniformity in the definition of microcephaly. It is usually defined as a head circumference (HC) more than 2 standard deviation below the mean for age and gender. Some academics advocate defining it as head circumference more than 3 standard deviation below the mean for the age and sex. Microcephaly may be congenital or it may develop in the first few years of life. The disorder may stem from a wide variety of conditions that cause abnormal growth of the brain, or from syndromes associated with chromosomal abnormalities. A homozygous mutation in one of the microcephalin genes causes primary microcephaly.

Wiky Linky Winky here : en.wikipedia.org...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

When I see the differnece in people size, My beliefs are there were much more species of humans.

Obvious hatred and religions played a part in the destruction of many. And what we have today are people that have "more" of one DNA type and "less" of another type. We are all 'hybrid' by some other species imho.

Look at the tall people of western russia. Now look at the small indigenous peoples of southern america.

Some of the tribes people are so little..

perhaps the "primitive" jungle dwellers of South America, you know, those 'hidden tribes' that were all the rage 60yrs ago..

perhaps we can further test DNA and figure out exactly where the cross breeding happened, etc..

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hobbits..... Dwarfs.... Elves.... Homosapien.... Why does our ancient past always look like a acid trip of a fairy tail.... Someone call Frodo and Bilbo... We are to go to Mordor to destroy the ring...
Anyone seen Ghandolf?

This is pretty cool, thanks for posting this OP SnF

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeepVisions
'Hobbit' fossil a distinct human species
This is the most recent article i could find on this subject.

This is very interesting! I wonder if their intelligence was higher or lower than other human species at that time.

When I made my Hobbit I gave him an intelligence rating of 25, but I was going to use him primarily as a mage....

(D&D joke ftw!)

God Bless,

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Right, and remember how such folk tales were so ridiculed and dismissed by mainstream science as stories akin to tooth fairies and unicorns.

Just goes to show that there is no room for arrogance in science. It must be totally objective because it tends to bite us on the butt when we think we know it all.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rodinus
It could also be a case of Microcephaly :

Microcephaly is a neurodevelopmental disorder. It is an important neurologic sign but there is nonuniformity in the definition of microcephaly. It is usually defined as a head circumference (HC) more than 2 standard deviation below the mean for age and gender. Some academics advocate defining it as head circumference more than 3 standard deviation below the mean for the age and sex. Microcephaly may be congenital or it may develop in the first few years of life. The disorder may stem from a wide variety of conditions that cause abnormal growth of the brain, or from syndromes associated with chromosomal abnormalities. A homozygous mutation in one of the microcephalin genes causes primary microcephaly.

Wiky Linky Winky here : en.wikipedia.org...

RhYs

Kindest respects

Rodinus

That's the point of the study to rule microcephaly out,
from the last paragraph in the op

The team could therefore refute the hypothesis of pathology.
"Our findings provide the most comprehensive evidence to date linking the Homo floresiensis skull with extinct fossil human species rather than with pathological modern humans. Our study therefore refutes the hypothesis that this specimen represents a modern human with a pathological condition, such as microcephaly," stated the scientists.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Duhh, sorry Punkin... i got carried away and didn't read the part about Encephaly.

My apologies, but at least some people know what this is now if they didn't beforehand

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
that would explain my feet. but being 6'4"?

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

If found this on wikipedia: "Henry Gee, senior editor at Nature magazine, speculates that species like H. floresiensis might still exist in the unexplored tropical forest of Indonesia"

en.wikipedia.org... (scroll down to Recent survival)

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSB

In remote areas of java and Sumatra locals say that the little people of the forest were there until the late 16th century, and that they would trade with them, without actually meeting face to face.
They would leave leave foodstuffs or trinkets in a clearing unattented and return to have the times taken and other items left n return.
The Indians of California and Oregon's coastal mountains have the same stories about about the clever little people of the forests

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
Hobbits..... Dwarfs.... Elves.... Homosapien.... Why does our ancient past always look like a acid trip of a fairy tail.... Someone call Frodo and Bilbo... We are to go to Mordor to destroy the ring...
Anyone seen Ghandolf?

This is pretty cool, thanks for posting this OP SnF

I think the frodo and the ring tale happened a long long time ago, and it didn't have the happy ending of the book.

Which is why we appear to be in an age of total darkness without end.

SAURON STARTED THE ILLUMINATI

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Interesting how they knew they were small eventhough they never met face-to-face.
But since we have evidence of actual small people in vicinity, I would bet they actually were real.
It's hard to explain the native american legends. I doubt they had the ability to travel over the ocean. Could be another species altogether. Hope they found more evidence and if they found a living person, I must say I would feel sorry for them.

posted on Jul, 12 2013 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSB

I'd have to agree that if a Hobbit still exists it would be best for them not to be found. I remember the fate of Ishii.

To be the 'last'

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join