It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pet project....off grid cabin...your thoughts?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 02:56 AM
link   
There's this one lake area I like going to in the summers. It has tons and tons of forest and lakes. Tons of little logging roads as well. So I was debating the idea of building a little off the grid cabin. I'm just debating it, and if I did it it would likely be "very small" like a micro cabin.

But I was thinking that if I could find a logging road that say hit a cut line, the if I drove up the cut line lets say, and then found a spot where I could park my truck where it would be hidden from view. And then from there hike say a short distance like a 1/4 or 1/2 mile into the bush to the cabin site. And build it near a stream and or lake. But still deep enough into the woods where likely nobody would find it. And also maybe camaflosh it with some trees and stuff.

The reason is I was thinking, since I come out here in the summers, it might be very handy to have a place to crash out. Like the only other alternatives are motels or in my truck, which aren't really good options. The only thing I'm a little nervous about are bears, that's why I don't think tents would suit me as I can't sleep well in them as I get too nervous. But if I was in some kind of micro cabin made of say plywood, Likely any animal would have a hard time getting in. Likely even if it tried by that time you could have some weapon ready to kill it with. But at least I could probably sleep at night. Even then it would take some getting use to. But the point is it would be free to use for the short time I spend in the area each summer. One alternative might be to buy a small piece of land, but I checked and they want like 50k for the smallest piece. And then you're just as likely to have bilaw officers checking on it to see what you might be doing on it.

Anyway what's your thoughts, is this a good idea or bad? I know if anyone found it it might be toast but if I don't spend much building it it wouldn't be a huge loss if anything happened to it. But again what do you think of this? Like this one option below might even be an idea. It's a mobile cart cabin so if you put it somewhere then if anyone asks you could just say "this is mobile and I'm just camping". so you likely wouldn't get into any serious trouble over it.

Your thoughts???

edit on 8-7-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   
since is woods .. get an axe .. cut down a few trees and build a log cabin .. it take awhile but would be a fairly sturdy structure that would blend in better .. also wouldnt arouse the suspicion that lugging in alot of lumber and stuff would ..

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888

I thought about that but that's just way too much work. It looks easy from the outside but the volume of trees and work to prepare it, and then all the gaps you'd have to fill in, and the inside would be warped everywhere, plus the danger of using an axe for that long, your likely to have it hit you at some point. Ya I thought about the wood issue, what I was thinking is a way to fix a wheel of some sort potentially onto one end on the plywood, Or getting a cart of some sort or wagon. Again it's really hard to say. I'd have to find the perfect spot in order to even bother with such a project. The main issue for me would be trying to get use to sleeping out there at night. I think it would be too irry and too cold. But it's hard to say, if one could get over that part, then it could turn into a nice camp. I had another idea too. Build some small hardshell shelter like the cart cabin, then simply bring a big cheap tent, like a 12x12 and put the cart inside the tent. And then have a table, chairs etc. so the cart would mainly be for sleeping, and then inside the tent you could have some basic table, for a wash basin, cooking, etc That way you'd have more useable space away from the bugs. Ya again it's so hard to say, I tend to think that ideas like this are fun to think about but then the work to do it all and the practicality of it, tends to ruine it a bit. Like it might just be easier to buy a camper van for example. It's that kinda thing. ha ha. But I might go exploring and seeing if I can actually find a few spots that might actually be worth my while, if I did then ya it still might be an option to try out.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I wouldn't. I think you'd be better off springing for a well made and comfortable tent. Then, if a SHTF situation happens, you'll have PLENTY of time to build a cabin in the woods. If you owned the land, it'd be different, but without that, why bother?

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
If you go to youtube there are many ways of making a structure to live in. One of my favorites is the earth home made out of oversize sand bags. I lived in a bunker (on and off) for a year and the insulation and ballistic protection is very good. Our floors were made out of rocket boxes and we took a blowtorch and stained them with fire, (lightly) our ceiling was covered in a parachute. The walls were covered with woven grass mats which you can find in any oriental type shopping center. You could build the whole thing yourself or with friends....If not your land I would not be tempted myself to try it. Again take a few minutes at youtube and look at earth homes.

Or if you want a simple prefab there is always the: Intershelter Dome...

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
look on craigslist for old trailer campers.You can buy a really rough one for about 500 bucks.As long as you maintain the roof,it will last a long time,unless there is already water damage.Even should someone find it and trash it,its still cheaper than a homemade setup.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

By far my most favorite documentary out there, this man is a legend to me and what he did was just simply amazing. Not for everyone of course but if you do plan on living off the grid this is one of many ways to accomplish such freedom.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Probably not a good idea.

Someone owns that land and it wouldn't be hard for someone to track you there. If I found a structure on my land I'd take anything worthwhile for myself and burn it to the ground.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

while I agree with you in principle,starting a fire in the forest is a bad idea.

posted on Jul, 8 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
First off, do you own any land? If not I am sure the person who actually does own it would like to find you building on their property (and in a SHTF situation that could be deadly)

But if you do own land and you have the time and money (and expertise), it would be a great idea to build an off grid cabin.

Here is an article about solar panels you might be interested in:

www.commonsensehome.com...

I will admit I would need some outside help with that kind of thing.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by spartacus699

Probably not a good idea.

Someone owns that land and it wouldn't be hard for someone to track you there. If I found a structure on my land I'd take anything worthwhile for myself and burn it to the ground.

It's different up here. We have endless acers of crown land. All they do is is cut the trees. You could drive for hundreds maybe even thousands of miles thew the areas. All you'd get is a ticket up here if they found it, so I'm not worried really.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Funny thing is I found the most perfect area to actually do this. It's almost exactly what I was thinking in terms of location. But ya it would be a ton of work. Might be easier to just find an old trialer or something, maybe find someone who would allow me to leave it in there yard and use that from time to time. It does get me thinking though, like the location I found is "good" like it meets the need but ideally I'd want a "great" location if I was gonna bother with it. From what I seen today offroading I think it is at least possible though.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
ever think of one of these tree tent thingies....if it's Bears you are scared of maybe this is a ideal solution.

www.channel4.com...

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaone

A hero of Mine too, it's been my dream for years to just slip away from civilization and build a cabin somewhere, and live a peaceful life away from the greed and hustle of modern life, i'll get there too if i have my way!
And thanks for linking the full doc, it was nice to sit back and watch it again, superb

As to owning the Land, we DON'T we merely borrow it from our children, a man made piece of paper bought with toytown currency, does not confer any more rights to live on the land as anyone else has, it is merely an instrument of greed, profit and power, there is land enough on this world for everyone!

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The idea appears sound... seasonal housing on the backend of someone else's land a short time each year in the wilderness.

Instead of reinventing the wheel, I suggest simple construction with logs and a heavy canvas tarp. Basically a 10x10 dugout floor with logs up another 4-6 feet. Then cover the top with the canvas tarp... typical construction of a winter cabin for Civil War era soldiers... pics are easy to find.

Since you are on someone else's land... the less impact you have the better... not just for detection but just basic respect for someone's property.

Yes, this is work... but anything worth having is worth working for. And far less detectable than dragging a small camper in and out of the wilds. Plus, since it will be on someone else's land... a minimal investment is desired. Free is even better.

Further, if too much work bothers you... wilderness self sustaining living is very hard work... and constant. Every season is spent prepping for the next. Food and fire and water are always in much demand.. which means hunting, trapping, planting, hauling, and cutting mucho mass fire wood.

I suggest a long vacation living like this to see just how well founded your enthusiasm is before you put to much effort into it.

I lived like this for about 3 years in the late 1990s and am in the process of going back to the land and off the grid... which is why I am here rarely now.

Good luck in your endeavers.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Step 1 - If your going 'off the grid' that truck needs to run on something you don't need to purchase. Also there is the title, registration, insurance (off the grid, no insurance).

Step 2 - All you can take are hand tools. No electric. You could create a generator from running water, but there wouldn't be much.

Step 3 - If you've never made so much as a campfire for marshmallows, don't you dare make a fire in the woods. We have enough problems with forest fires.

Step 4 - plan to sweat your butt off. It's work. Growing crop, finding foods year long. Unless you plan on taking MREs or dehydrated food (more to carry).

I've thought of this more than once. Seems like a small community might be easier on the individual's lives. There really is a great bodily risk doing this solo. There are multiple skills needed for this existance.

By the way, being off the grid includes no ownership. Not of the land, not of anything requiring data being created. You truly could go squat in the wilderness and no one would find you. You have to make a million decisions, educated decisions.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I just think if I found the right spot this would be probably worth doing. Because the alternative is I pay 50 bucks a night to stay in a motel when I come out her in the summer. That gets expensive. I just think it would be cool to have your own place, even if it's not a posh pad, who cares. The main thing is it just has to work. I think I just have to do some more exploring and try and find the right location that it would make sense to do this. Without that there's really no point. This would mainly just be a summer get away place anyway, I wouldn't live there full time.

My thought was eventually one day perhaps building something similiar on the coast somewhere and that you might consider or set up in a way where you could live there full time. I think that would be ideal as you could go fishing, beachcombing, and generally learn much of the plants that are etible, and maybe hunt and trap as well. And or suppliment that with buying groceries that have long shelf lifes, like cans, bags of beans, rice, and dryed goods. So you don't have to go running around to try and find food full time. But there are tons of tiny islands, and unique little locations all around the coast. I'm talking between vancouver island and the main land. It's just maze of spots one could consider. So then I'd likely just buy a camper van. And when I get bored just hop in that and go into the city for a while, and just live in the van. I think it would kinda cool to because if anyone asks where you live you could say "oh I own a beach house a short drive away". And you could make even a small space quite swanky if you put your mind too it. I think it would be far more fulfilling and far cheaper than living full time in the city.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
What about buried dwellings ie the old shipping container, yeah i suppose it might be a bind getting a 40 footer to the location, but i have seen ones where people have broken them down into panels to be re welded together at the location then just buried under earth, or even partially buried and one side faced off with logs cabin style, worth a thought

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

This is a picture of the cabin I built on the land here that is a modern copy of the one I built and stayed in over 20 years ago on land south of here.. It is modernized with solar array/110volt electric power, propane heat and other aids and I go there everyday to feed the resident cats. I mainly keep research files and works in progress here and I sometimes work overnight as it's a great place to think.
It was built in similar fashion with split eastern red cedar taken from the forest as the main building material. Insulated red tin roof and I had a stone mason build the fire place and chimney. The deck extends 27 feet and is 9 feet high.
The cabin faces south down a north slope and above the ridge is an old sandstone wall made from large chiseled blocks from a structure that may have been a cellar or perhaps a home that predates the civil war.

I have no idea how they got to where they are or who put them there-despite many, many years of trying. I thought about using them to build a cellar under the deck however perhaps it's best they stay where they are for a hundred more years or so-or better said I thought something bad might happened if I moved them. General Hood's retreat, from the Battle Of Franklin, came through here however if that has any bearing on the wall I will never know. The construction technique of the cabin is quite simple however the solar array and power system is quite complex and you can't see the panels in the photo. It works quite well and the reserve capacity is quite amazing-it can power anything indefinitely except a high heat source. Of course I had this professionally installed as I don't really understand how it works as well as it does.
The propane tank is stored under the deck and can power a generator as well as the vented heat. If you have any questions about building something similar just ask.

posted on Jul, 10 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Actually it's kinda funny yesterday I bought a cheap tent and sleeping bag and figued I'd go out to the one spot that I'm familiar with. So this is deep in the rugged wilderness up on a moutain. There's all kinds of wildlife out there.

I'm glad I spent the night there, as I sort of feel like "I won against the bear". Last time I was there a giant grizzly chased me out. But this time, wow ya tons of animals came roaming around at night checking out the tent. Probably the grizzly too. But I didn't sleep well at all, I got bit to death by misquitos even with a m-suit on. And overall it wasn't great.

I think for all practical purposes you'd have to have a "real cabin", even if it's small. Not some makeshift box. And you'd have to find a place with not a lot of misquotes, like a semi arid area, or just somewhere without a lot of them. Because it just ruines it totally when there's that many of them. Funny thing is on another lake near by I didn't notice any of them at all. Not one. But there's no place to park your car overnight there. But ya I don't know, it's odd, I just feel like after last night I really got some of this bug out of my system. Maybe I'd just buy a small camper van and use that, like that would be 10 times better.

edit on 10-7-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join