It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Train derailment sparks major fire in Quebec's Eastern Townships

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboutface
reply to post by whatzshaken

This is a conspiracy site and if there were something criminal in this situation, we would have to look to the ones who would profit from this event, both politically and monetarily. The thought will remain at the back of my mind until the full report is out.

With conflicting reports, both saying no conductor on board but one saying it was remote controlled the other a run away train.

cbc reporting it was remote controlled

RT quoting Vice President Joseph McGonigle saying the conductor was waiting to be relieved, all the information is right there.

More time spent "investigating" gives more time to rewrite the press release.

only question that matters is why was this train unattended ,with no conductor, being remote controlled at such a high speed for it to derail?

There are TPTB the get off in creating destruction. This is another one of those events perpetrated by the very same PTB
edit on 6-7-2013 by whatzshaken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Here's an update of what I've found on the internet so far:

- 1,000 evacuated from their homes
- 1-kilometre wide security perimeter
- 1 person officially found dead so far, many are still missing

About 1,000 people were evacuated from their homes overnight, and several hundred more also left their homes on Saturday afternoon because of air quality concerns.

A spokesperson for Quebec's Environment Ministry says 73 rail cars filled with crude oil were involved. At least four of the cars exploded, sending a huge cloud of thick, black smoke into the air.

A large but as-yet undetermined amount of fuel is also reported to have spilled into the Chaudière River. Some residents say the water has turned an orange colour. Mayor Roy-Laroche assured the public that the town's drinking-water supply is safe, and she encouraged residents to limit their water consumption as much as possible.

To report missing people: 819-832-4953 #6005
For other info: 819-583-2441
Donate to red cross: 1-800-418-1111

CBC News

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Brakes were set, somehow released, and then - runaway train.
No wonder it was said to have been going faster than normal....

That took out a big chunk of that town

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Sigh.

Once again, there are no remote control trains. There are only engines on the rear of trains that are remote controlled from the lead engine of the same train. The distributed engines can not be controlled from anywhere else.

The train HAD a conductor. He got off at Nantes where the train was stopped while both he and the engineer waited for a relief crew. He was walking around.

edit on 7/6/2013 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

only question that matters is why was this train unattended ,with no conductor, being remote controlled at such a high speed for it to derail?

cbc reporting it was remote controlled

Global National is saying somehow the brakes released. It was a runaway train.

Sabotage?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

I highly doubt it was sabotage.

I'm willing to bet someone screwed up royally.
edit on 6-7-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge

I highly doubt it was sabotage.

It could happen. I have had to kick a few people off of trains when I climbed on. It doesn't take much to get a train moving in the right circumstances.

I'm willing to bet someone screwed up royally.
edit on 6-7-2013 by CranialSponge because: (no reason given)

I'm betting someone did too, but whether it was the train crew or someone else we'll just have to wait and see.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

The one confirmed deceased was found in the water. Many people were on outdoor patios at the downtown cafés and bars.

On a 1-2-3 scale, it is classified as a level 2 environmental disaster. I'm supposing because the town water is ok so far, but other municipalities may not be if they get their drinking water from the Chaudière River. This is obviously still unfolding..

There were an additional 1000 people evacuated, totalling 2000 in all.

One man was awakened by his little dog yapping at the first explosion. He ran outdoors and made it to his car, looked over as his house went up in flames just like that. He suffered a slight head injury, but is happy to be alive.

Psychological help is being provided at the evacuation centers.

edit on 6-7-2013 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Every time i think of what the death toll will be I shudder. You know everyone in that bar must be gone...

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

They are reporting that all 73 cars were carrying crude oil. If that's true, then the first wagon after the engine would be carrying that. Is that unusual?

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

unequivocally, absolutely, beyond a shadow of doubt, more or less, YES

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aboutface

No, there will be a 'buffer car' between the engines and the tank cars. usually carrying sand.

If the photo of the engine with the fire is the same train you can see that the first car is a type of covered hopper, not a tank.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Montana

Then you should write cbc and tell them to change their official story.

I whole heartedly believe you, Im just relaying what the official story is or what the public is being lied about.

Thanks for the education that is something I did not know and only reaffirms my belief of this being a man made disaster not caused by negligence. Especially with the VP backing his conductor.
edit on 6-7-2013 by whatzshaken because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
The CBC is the only news source that is reporting this, and to be honest I'm not sure that I have seen this myself. I have read several different accounts and no one else is making this mistake. As I said earlier, I think a reporter misinterpreted a statement about the train having Distributed power which means that it has engines on both the front and rear of the train with the rear engines remotely controlled from the front. Reporters don't know any more about train operations than the average person on the street. It would be an easy mistake to make.

If you re-read the statement, the RR executive is actually supporting both the engineer and the conductor. He is saying the conductor was off the train, walking around and the engineer did everything he was supposed to do when he stopped the train.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm wondering if some kind of short caused something in the electrical panel to start fire and thereby releasing the brake ? Everything is computerized nowadays on trains, no ?

And the engineer and conductor wouldn't have noticed if they were off the train making all their last minute checks...

Just thinking out loud, I really hope this was not human error. These poor guys would never be able to live with themselves if it turns out to be their screw up.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Sabotage, who knows these days, could happen.
VIA Terror Plot Suspects Deny Charges
This is the plot that was foiled and was meant to cause unknown casualties.

Jennifer Strachan, chief superintendent of RCMP criminal operations in the province of Ontario, said Monday the two suspects watched trains and railways in the Greater Toronto Area. "We are alleging that these two individuals took steps and conducted activities to initiate a terrorist attack," she told reporters. There was a specific route targeted, not necessarily a specific train, Strachan said, although she declined to reveal the route. Police said the attack was not imminent.

VIA Rail Terror Plot Accused Unable to find Lawyer

Esseghaier told the court during an earlier appearance following his arrest in late April that the Criminal Code should not apply to him because it's "not a holy book." Instead, he wants the Qur'an used as a "reference" in his case.

So what are the chances of another person/s associated with these weren't studying these rails and routines??

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Well, now here's the problem with that thought.

Most people don't understand that to release the brakes the air pressure in the brake pipe that runs through every car on the train must INCREASE, not decrease. If an electrical fault caused the air compressors to stop working or a valve to open the pressure in the line would get lower, causing the brakes to actually apply MORE, not release.

Now there could be some type of computer glitch that could cause the compressor to send air back to the pipe, but there is a system that is supposed to prevent that.
edit on 7/6/2013 by Montana because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
I'm wondering if some kind of short caused something in the electrical panel to start fire and thereby releasing the brake ? Everything is computerized nowadays on trains, no ?

Which leads a person to wonder if the system can be hacked. Aghhh, how I hate where my mind goes sometimes.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

There is a HUGE number of disgruntled former railroad employees out there as well. Not trying to accuse anyone, just saying there is the possibility. Most people don't understand the workforce changes that have occurred in the rail industry over the last couple of decades. There are literally many thousands of people who would do something like this from sheer hate of railroads.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You know, folks, the more I think about this I seem to remember a conversation I had with an engineer a month or so back. He was saying that he was stopped waiting to meet a train when the train brakes suddenly seemed to release and the train started rolling. He said he had to use the emergency brake feature to keep the train from rolling away. Something to do with the feed valve if I remember correctly. I don't know, it was in passing and quite a few trips ago, but something is ringing my bell right now....

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join