It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pizza = Junk Food While a Sandwich = Healthy....Why?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Less nutrients in pizza. Fruits and vegetables lose out when they are cooked. I love pizza, but the grease on it is outrageous. IMO sandwhich is healthier depending on what you put on it, and leave off of it.

Then again if everything we eat comes out of Monsanto then we're all screwed anyway no matter what you eat.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Damn, I think the op might be one of the great thinkers of our generation

This has never ever crossed my mind, but now I cant stop thinking about it

must just be perception and portion size that pushes the pizza into the junk food/unhealthy category

a couple of nice fresh, slices of pizza, like the op said with ham, cheese, tomato, thin base

or a sandwich, two slices of bread, ham, cheese, tomato + margarine or butter etc

hmmmmmmm

I know what I'd rather have

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Because a pizza is a party, and a sandwich is, well just a sandwich. And if you had a 'party' for lunch everyday the adults might crack down on us kids. So they come up with delusions of healthy and unhealthy.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Control freaks.

When I make pizza, it's whole grain crust, veggies, and cheese. And pizza sauce. It's all good.
Add meat, and I've covered all the food groups
in one meal.

I remember years ago, when I moved out on my own, and my dad asked me what I ate for breakfast that morning - I told him French toast.
He yelled at me, told me I should learn to eat proper, have some eggs and toast

I had to tell him French toast is bread soaked in eggs and toasted

Total control freaks....

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
If you are like me, this has kept you awake many nights pondering and asking the Universal question...Pizza or Sandwich?

Little Johnny: "Mom, can I have pizza for lunch?"

Mom: "No junk food for lunch, I'll make you a sandwich".

Little Johnny: "Ok, Can I have ham, tomatoes, onions, cheese?"

Mom: "Absolutely!".

hmmmm.

So we have bread, veggies, meat, cheese on both plates only one is pizza (Not Pizza Pocket) and the other a sandwich. Both easily made with great ingredients.

The sandwich however will most likely have margarine or butter and maybe mayonnaise or mustard while the pizza usually has only tomato sauce.

Also a pizza will most likely have even more veggies. Not always but...

So why is pizza considered a junk food while a sandwich is seen as a healthier choice?

These are the things that keep me awake at night...

Peace

Do you have greasy butter fat on your sandwich? When I was in college, I worked at a local pizza place and it was awesome but just looking at it, you can see the difference. Plus over eating a pizza is much easier than a sandwich.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Like everyone has said it depends on how you make them. A sandwich can be made healthy and unhealthy, same with a pizza.

But the most common pizza is made with:

Dough (usually white flour based which is more processed and less healthy)

Pizza sauce (often high in sodium and sugar)

Cheese (often in larger quantity than a sandwich)

Pepperoni (one of the lunch meats highest in calories and fat).

If you were to use whole grain dough, homemade sauce low in sugar and salt, a healthy cheese in low quantity and healthier toppings like veggies and low-salt ham or chicken, then you'll have yourself a healthy pizza.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by jude11

Less nutrients in pizza. Fruits and vegetables lose out when they are cooked. I love pizza, but the grease on it is outrageous. IMO sandwhich is healthier depending on what you put on it, and leave off of it.

Then again if everything we eat comes out of Monsanto then we're all screwed anyway no matter what you eat.

But you can control the grease thru your choice of meat and cheese. The rest is the same.

If the crust is done right and you use ham or similar less fat meats and less cheese...ta-dah!

Peace

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons
reply to post by jude11

I can probably live on pizza. It's to bad there isn't a pizza diet.

edit on 5-7-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

Make a pizza with veg and a little cheese using a tortilla or pita as crust.

Nice!

Peace

edit on 6-7-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I always go with white turkey personally. 'Cept this past week when I went roast beef just to mix it up. I can make a hell of a mouth-watering sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, turkey, cheese, spicy mustard. When you drive an 18 wheeler you learn to get creative with your sandwiches.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
With few exceptions, I would always take pizza over sammiches....which for the most part are boooring.......

We make our own pizza...every week....for the last 20+ years
.....I used to use frozen bread dough...but now use this recipe
www.abovetopsecret.com...

We do some carryout pizza.....but never LIttle Caesar or Dominos.....and I have NEVER bought a pizza in a grocery story ....to me that is not pizza.

posted on Jul, 6 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
OK, I can't resist this old joke...probably won't pass T&C's......." How are Pizza and Sex the same?......even when it's Bad it's still kinda Good ! ".......Sleep Well...

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by jude11

Because the cheese on a pizza is greasy and oozin'! It's all nice and friendly on a sandwich.

To answer your question, I think a sandwich might be more nutritionally balanced than a pizza. A typical pizza is loaded with cheese and fatty meats (pepperoni) and not so much of the good stuff like fresh basil and bell peppers etc.

Everybody is going to have their definition of what's junk food and what's healthy. I think it just varies by family, really. I was raised by my grandparents and they have some pretty whacky ideas about what's junk food and what's healthy.

I'm talkin' about eggs, bacon, potatoes all fried up with some lard for breakfast every morning. That's healthy and nutritious according to them. While tasty, it's not the healthiest choice by far.

edit on 5-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

today's pizzas are, but back then pizzas were very nutritious. look at how they were made back then compare to todays greasy nasty #. btw once i ate a dominoes pizzas and was sick for 2 weeks.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

As a person who made pizzas in order to be able to afford school for 5 years, I can tell you right now... The amount of sugar, salt, and oil that goes into the dough and the pizza sauce is horrendous. Plus there's a lot more cheese on a pizza. Plus, it's freakin' delicious and therefore easier to overeat. Not only that, but even if you order veggies on your pizza you're going to get a pretty minimal amount of them. Lastly, whenever you cook something it loses almost half of it's nutritional value.

And that's why pizza is terrible for you.

If you make the pizza yourself it's not quite as bad, but dough is still a bit worse than bread, and the sheer amount of oil used in premade pizza sauce is... Well, let's just say unless you make your own you're gonna clog those arteries proper no matter how many delicious toppings you skimp on.

edit on 7-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arolexion

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by jude11

Because the cheese on a pizza is greasy and oozin'! It's all nice and friendly on a sandwich.

To answer your question, I think a sandwich might be more nutritionally balanced than a pizza. A typical pizza is loaded with cheese and fatty meats (pepperoni) and not so much of the good stuff like fresh basil and bell peppers etc.

Everybody is going to have their definition of what's junk food and what's healthy. I think it just varies by family, really. I was raised by my grandparents and they have some pretty whacky ideas about what's junk food and what's healthy.

I'm talkin' about eggs, bacon, potatoes all fried up with some lard for breakfast every morning. That's healthy and nutritious according to them. While tasty, it's not the healthiest choice by far.

edit on 5-7-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

today's pizzas are, but back then pizzas were very nutritious. look at how they were made back then compare to todays greasy nasty #. btw once i ate a dominoes pizzas and was sick for 2 weeks.

That's nothing. Eating Domino's pizza once when I was twelve busted my colon for 5 years.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

reply to post by jude11

Nice!

Peace

Use a pita? Then it becomes a Sandwich.

BLASPHEMER!

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Um.. because pizza is a lot more fattening? Just a guess.

Pizza can muster a nice 250 to 400 calories.. per slice. Most people eat 2 to 3 pieces of pizza. So you are talking 600 to 1200 calories. A sandwich with mayo is around 400 calories (ham, swiss, tomato, mayo, etc).

So.. it's just less healthy. Process food x a bunch.. greasy.. very tasty, but high in fat content.

Even if you just ate 3 slices of veggie pizza (stuff is just gross.. might as well get a Neapolitan pizza of some kind!), it's 33 or so fat calories, versus 15 in that sandwhich.

So.. sandwich is healthier. Eaten on whole grain bread, even better. Not that I am not advocating not eating pizza.. I love pizza now and then (good pizza). Just saying.. that's why.

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Times change. My kids get a healthy lunch of pizza all the time, they love it. Heres how I make it

Taken whole wheat pita bread, the big flats of it. Brush it with a bit of olive oil, on each side and I sprinkle a bit of salt, very little, I actually measure it out... 1/4 teaspoon each. I place on the tomato sauce and I let my kids do their toppings. My youngest only likes cheese, so I get .. organic, skim milk low moisture mozzarella for her. My oldest likes a lot of toppings, so for her, I keep on hand plenty of chopped vegetables... zucchini is great, yellow squash, peppers, etc. and then of course the cheese. Now... heres where it gets good.... I cook it, on the grill. YUM!

However, you obvious, pizza places... say like Sbarros, you have white flour, and usually corn syrup is added to the crust... seriously.. not kidding. You have tomato sauce.. from a can... BPA, and it will have corn syrup in it. Then, you have full fat, mozzarella cheese (probably from a cow fed hormones in order to up it's milk production) and then.. if you want toppings, like meat.. well, they're going to be full fat, and probably made with fillers. Vs a sandwich.. that will be much much healthier if you make it from whole wheat with no corn syrup, mayo, but no butter (actually, I have to tell you... I've never ever heard of anyone putting butter on a sandwich, mayo? yes, Mustard (which is actually good for you) yes.. but never ever any butter) and only a little mayo, you don't need a lot. your lunch meat (organic and low fat) along with .. we usually use 1% fat american cheese (again, organic) lettuce tomato, my daughter likes olives, hubby likes onions, I'm a plainest
bread, meat, cheese, thats it. My youngest.... she can't stand lunch meat, so, it usually just a slice of cheese, or home made peanut butter (I put dark chocolate in it..which is good for you!)

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Um.. because pizza is a lot more fattening? Just a guess.

Pizza can muster a nice 250 to 400 calories.. per slice. Most people eat 2 to 3 pieces of pizza. So you are talking 600 to 1200 calories. A sandwich with mayo is around 400 calories (ham, swiss, tomato, mayo, etc).

So.. it's just less healthy. Process food x a bunch.. greasy.. very tasty, but high in fat content.

Even if you just ate 3 slices of veggie pizza (stuff is just gross.. might as well get a Neapolitan pizza of some kind!), it's 33 or so fat calories, versus 15 in that sandwhich.

So.. sandwich is healthier. Eaten on whole grain bread, even better. Not that I am not advocating not eating pizza.. I love pizza now and then (good pizza). Just saying.. that's why.

Use a whole grain crust, veggies, low fat content meats and there's no difference from the sammich.

It's all in the prep and ingredients my friend.

Peace

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

reply to post by jude11

Nice!

Peace

Use a pita? Then it becomes a Sandwich.

BLASPHEMER!

Nah...just a healthier version of pizza with a thin crust.

Sometimes I even use my home made salsa instead of tomato sauce...

Peace

posted on Jul, 7 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe
reply to post by jude11

As a person who made pizzas in order to be able to afford school for 5 years, I can tell you right now... The amount of sugar, salt, and oil that goes into the dough and the pizza sauce is horrendous. Plus there's a lot more cheese on a pizza. Plus, it's freakin' delicious and therefore easier to overeat. Not only that, but even if you order veggies on your pizza you're going to get a pretty minimal amount of them. Lastly, whenever you cook something it loses almost half of it's nutritional value.

And that's why pizza is terrible for you.

If you make the pizza yourself it's not quite as bad, but dough is still a bit worse than bread, and the sheer amount of oil used in premade pizza sauce is... Well, let's just say unless you make your own you're gonna clog those arteries proper no matter how many delicious toppings you skimp on.

edit on 7-7-2013 by HairlessApe because: (no reason given)

As a baker, my bread and pizza doughs are the same ingredients...period.

Customers love it.

Little oil, salt, sugar, etc. No milk or eggs.

Great crust and great bread as well.

And yes, I make our pizza sauce starting with crushed tomatoes. Add seasoning and spices, no oil...that's just wrong.

Peace

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join