It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse Slaughterhouse Approved by USDA to Produce Meat for Human Consumption

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I have eaten it many times during foreign travels. It's just meat. I don't see what the big deal is.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by learnatic

In my opinion, TPTB are going to transfer Americians and the rest of us away from cow and sheep meat to horse meat, just to rub our nose in it, simply because they can do it, second rate meat for second rate people.

Second rate? Not by half. Beef is second rate all the way around unless you're someone who loves to eat fat.

Horse meat is much healthier for you than beef. Known fact so you don't have to wait for that either.

Tastes better too.

No conspiracy here. Just no more horrific trailer rides for horses headed to heaven.

peace

edit on 1-7-2013 by silo13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Horse meat = Dog meat, not for me .

I guess if I was starving to death, sure.
But not as a choice when so much variety is around.

What would really be bothersome is if they had a veal version horse meat killing the young ponies.
It would be like killing a puppy and eating it.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
That is kind of the silver lining here. That must be one HORRIFIC trailer ride for the animals.
If it is going to happen, closer is better.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

How would refraining from eating meat prevent or stop world hunger. Wouldn't it technically make it worse since it would increase the demand for grains and such, which we are already very near to a world shortage of?

yes..we are in a shortage of grains......because around 70% is fed to livestock. the protein conversion ratio for cows is 54:1. 54 grams of plant protein eaten by a cow will produce 1 gram of animal protein.

we take all this food that could feed every human on the planet (seriously. america alone could feed 800 million with the food we feed to livestock) and feed it to cows, so that we can kill them and then eat them. it makes very little sense, both from an ethical standpoint and a nutritional one.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Until you consider that not all humans are the same. Not all can process plant proteins as easy. Take ciliac disease as an example.

Not to mention the myriad other problems that stuff like Gluten can have.

From a statistical point of view you are correct. From a realistic point of view, it couldn't be further from the truth. Even science is starting to discover this. Grains are a carb. Humans are not typically good at processing carbs. The increased carb intake of civilization is the primary driver of heart problems, diabetes, strokes, etc, etc.

Me personally? I will take pork over any other land animal. Any day. Happily. It is fatty, have a sweet flavor, and I can hunt it.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

From a statistical point of view you are correct. From a realistic point of view, it couldn't be further from the truth. Even science is starting to discover this. Grains are a carb. Humans are not typically good at processing carbs. The increased carb intake of civilization is the primary driver of heart problems, diabetes, strokes, etc, etc.

not true. here's a presentation on the top 15 ways to die, all but one (accidental deaths) are reduced with a plant based diet.

it's really worth a watch, the presentation is based on multiple 30-35+year long research studies between meat eaters, vegetarians (ovo/lacto), and vegans. all your questions on what increases risks of death will be answered. heart disease is at the top of the list, driven by cholesterol (specifically LDL) found in animals, not plants.

edit on 1-7-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamihorse]
Sad, angry, sorry to hear t In the US horses are traditionally seen and treated as pets.

I can assure you that all of my 1100 horse-owning friends on Facebook do NOT think of them as pets. Nor do any of my fellow equine journalists. It is only non-horse owners and a small percentage of owners that didn't grow up with horses that think this way. They are LIVESTOCK.

You want to argue that it's alright that they are food anyway? The ones who are backing, the slaughterhouses,... need to show that they are more humane in practices.

That we can agree upon.

As well holding accountable the racehorse industry and 'backyard' breeding to sell as pets but the horses end up in auction need to stop supplying the slaughter.
edit on 30-6-2013 by dreamingawake because: sp

I have written articles and researched this matter extensively. The fact is the amount of foals has been dramatically reduced. This was a good thing as there was definately a glut of horses pre-recession. Not anymore. I actually tried to find a "free" horse this past December for one of my 4-H kids. Yeah, right. Good luck. Anything free should have been put down (humanely!) as they were dangerous animals. I then went to a rescue. They wanted $1200 to $2000 for a "rescue" horse. You, know, that horse they got for free? And that they feed with donations from the community. Give. Me. A. Break. If the little girl had that much to spend we could have found a non-rescue horse for that much.

Bottom line slaughter houses are a necessary evil. A person who can't afford to feed a horse can't afford $600 to have that horse put down and rendered. Could the slaughter houses be more humane? Yes. Does that need legislation? Yes. But should they be banned by a bunch of horses-are-pets-loving-hippies, no! The people that think this way should be forced to starve to death just like the horses that were turned loose on city streets because of this ill-concieved ban.

Yeah, I'm a little hot under the collar about this issue.

edit on 1-7-2013 by PamelaBritton2U because: typos! yick.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by Char-Lee

From a woman's point of view:

I have cleaned and stuffed many a turkey in my day and have never once equated handling a raw turkey with anything concerning a human baby, and I've never heard of any such thing from anyone at all until you mentioned it. I'm afraid it just doesn't compute in my mind- but to each his/her own.

I guess i am just very different then most of you at least on this thread.

I was sickened by the feel of the plump flesh and the legs sit just like my baby that was the same size at the time in the sink, made me nauseous. Clearly I have always felt different then all of you about the creatures on this planet anyway.

But thanks for not being unkind and trying to make me feel weird and stupid.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Me, too.

But FWIW, when I brought it up to my wife, my mom, and my 3 sisters at our Sunday family gathering, they all looked at me like I was crazy.

Guess they are all just better people then me, good for you and them.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nightstalker78

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Why? Is ending the life of a plant (which happens frequently with many plants that are eaten) any less atrocious than ending the life of an animal?

Well let's see.....

Blood, body fluids, feces, tumors, disease that can pass to humans hormones and drugs, the need to be sure and cook to a certain temperature. The gore and pain and disgust of everyone at the slaughter and process the feeling that you are holding a human child when you prep a turkey to bake, feels just like when you bath the baby...

Verses, glowing bright fruit and wonderful nuts and olives, coconuts from a tree. Green ve ggies and bloodless feces-less body fluid-less tubers...

Your right I see no difference.
edit on 30-6-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-6-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

I sure as hell do.People who think like you are sick.Tell me..when was the last time you climbed a tree to get a coconut? Never ? That's what I thought. Or dug around for fruit and wonderful nuts? Never? That's what I thought.

Get off your high horse.

I have no idea what you are talking about...
You said there was no difference between the death of an animal vs. a plant, what does that have to do with climbing a tree or "digging around" for food? I grow vegetables not that it has anything to do with it. You do realize eating a nut does not kill a tree? In fact most plants produce mammal or bird eatable seed or parts purposely.
I once was a meat eater, I simply never thought about it.
I feel thinking is a good thing.

WHAT highhorse? I give my opinions and feelings freely here, I have never judged the rest of you nor put you down.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

Me, too.

But FWIW, when I brought it up to my wife, my mom, and my 3 sisters at our Sunday family gathering, they all looked at me like I was crazy.

Guess they are all just better people then me, good for you and them.

Well, I would say my wife is better than any woman on Earth. But that is just me being partial to my queen.

You....you are just fine.
And that is good for you!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

Eating my dogs would be a last resort in a dire situation. Which I pray will never happen. They are my best friends...

Best friends? But if they were humans would you even think of eating them as a last resort? Would they eat you as a last resort? Such times when humans were lost and hungry...not starving as they thought...and ate their best friend dog whom they raised from puppyhood, the dog never once tried to eat them even they they were hungry also.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

These studies are old, using old finding, and set up to prove a predetermined point.

What is in your blood doesn't come from you food. If food went directly into your blood you would be very ill. What is in your blood is chemically produced in your body. Your body takes your nutrients and creates other agents from them.

Cholesterol? Largely unaffected by eating fat. Blood fat is made in the liver. It is made by eating large amounts of carbohydrates. This is how foie gras is made. It is why beer drinkers can tend to have fatty liver.

The sugars destroy the entire endocrinological system.

I started eating low carb. Lost 200lbs, cholesterol nose dived, and I was taken off my synthroid. Once considered a borderline diabetic, I am now fit and healthy. All while eating bacon every day, and focusing my diet on high fat, high protein, high fiber, minimal carb.

Now....would this work for everyone? Probably. But not everyone can digest the fats and proteins as easily. So we each have our own dietary needs.

Who'da thunk it? We are all actually different.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Unrealised

Where ever you got that information, it flies in the face of current science. Even as of a year ago.

Which "uni" did you attend, so I can make sure my kids avoid it?

ETA: a philosophy class determined this?
ok

Philosophy is an important discipline. But it is only as good as the logic used. I am unsure how any philosopher could determine that a plant was no conscious. There are just not enough facts available to think real hard about it and come up with an answer. Empiricism is needed.
edit on 1-7-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

Well at least for sure it is not a mammal just like yourself with blood and guts eyes and ears and the same reproductive organs like eating your own kind.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   

These studies are old, using old finding, and set up to prove a predetermined point.

well that is a bit of circular reasoning there. the studies lasted for 30 years, of course their starting point was far in the past!

they collected health data statistics on people who subscribed to a certain diet, then categorized and posted the findings. i do not find any bias in them.

arguing that the fat you consume doesn't get into your blood is silly. it is broken down into a fatty acid in the small intestine. bile from the liver facilitates the breakdown of fats, but it occurs in the small intestines. enzymes from the pancreas also help. the molecules are absorbed into the intestine cells, and reassembled into triglycerides, but with a special protein coating that helps facilitate their water solubility. from there, they are sent into the lymphatic system, then the fat molecules travel and merge with the bloodstream. you can read more about how it works here.

the harmful form of lipids are called "low density lipids". these are found almost exclusively in animals. plants aren't a significant source of cholesterol. the increase in fiber consumption is linked to an increase in longevity.

A study that followed 44,500 people for 11 years found that vegetarians were less likely to be hospitalized or to die from heart problems. They also had a lower weight-to-height ratio and were less likely to be diabetic.

www.nydailynews.com...

no offense, but your points on nutrition are very incorrect.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I discriminate against no meat!! I have already advocated re-producing the mammoth for its economic viability, including meat harvesting. I would gladly eat horse, but would rather have its actual cuts and not ground filler. Oh well it will probably end up in my taco bell tacos anyways. I would only eat dog if it were raised on a diet of rice and chicken. Plumps them up really good for the first few months, and if you can afford it will keep them healthy and very strong.

Animals are on this Earth to be eaten. It would just be embracing ignorance to believe otherwise. So yea while you get all emotional over certain animals and have all these mushy feelings, in the end they are just food. Hell humans have been eaten by many an animal. So I believe it is just ignorant to believe there are animals that are off limits to human consumption because of a cuteness factor. A Lion does not give a damn how cute an animal, or a human is, it will consume either way.

Then again I guess I am also a hypocrite because I don't believe people should eat dolphins and whales, but the Japanese find those to be quite tasty. I see those more as human than animal though so in my crazy world it would be cannibalism.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You are definitely not weird or stupid, you just have different thoughts and feelings which is perfectly fine. I have different thoughts and feelings about animals because I grew up raising them for food and hunting others for food so I don't view them in the same light as you. There is nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion, and one can't control equating things from one's own perspective. Different strokes for different folks!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Animals are on this Earth to be eaten

You are an animal...you know this right?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by littled16

You are definitely not weird or stupid, you just have different thoughts and feelings which is perfectly fine. I have different thoughts and feelings about animals because I grew up raising them for food and hunting others for food so I don't view them in the same light as you. There is nothing wrong with having a difference of opinion, and one can't control equating things from one's own perspective. Different strokes for different folks!

I doubt you will but it would be nice if you read this great article here.I would like to hear thoughts on it after.

www.morehouse.edu...

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join