It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Horse Slaughterhouse Approved by USDA to Produce Meat for Human Consumption

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
At the end of the day I don't eat meat as I used too, when it comes to Horses meat, I can not possibly look at myself eating them is something about horses, their beauty and majesty is too much for me to see it as just a piece of meat in my plate.

This is just my personal opinion.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

LAter I will dig up some stuff for you. In the meantime, I would be interested in how things like food can be a moral issue. Morality tends to be towards the top of Mazlow's pyramid, while food tends to be towards the bottom.

sex is at the bottom with food (even below law/order/limits), does that mean rape should be permissible? of course not. it is the same with food. a diet of meat isn't something done out of necessity, quite the opposite in fact.
edit on 1-7-2013 by Bob Sholtz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I'm an omnivore. I eat meat and vegetables just like we were designed to. I tried horse when I was in Finland two years ago. It was ok. Kind of salty. You can buy it for human consumption in the market, although it appears to be in salami or summer sausage type meats usually. If I'm not mistaken didn't they use it in dog and cat food in the US forever? I could be wrong about that. To quote my ex-husband:

"I'll eat anything with a face"

...besides human, obviously

But I agree, all food should be labeled to show exactly what it is so people can make informed decisions.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
For those who say "Meat is meat"... what about all those dogs that need homes? Would you support selling them to be eaten? What about all those unwanted Chinese girls, or aborted fetuses? Meat is meat, right?

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

If it makes you feel better and morally superior then stew on this: if you consider eating meat murder and torture and that it makes people starve to death then fine- I am a murderer and torturer of animals and I cause people to starve to death and I feel fine about that. Now go stand on your mountain top and gaze down at all the immoral degenerates- I will be the one smacking on the barbecued rack of ribs and loving it!

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by itsallintheegg

I second this. People that encourage this are the bane of the world. There is enough to provide for everyone without the need to degenerate the souls and lives of an animals and yourself by eating meat. Humans shouldn't even be allowed to be called 'humans', whats humane about this? Go ahead and eat it then, let your body become a graveyard, you sub-human ignorant fools.
This is just my opinion, shared by many, how does your horse taste?
You make me sick.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
A horse is nothing more than a faster, prettier cow.

Its actually more healthy too.

Id eat a horse.

The Lone ranger doesn't see it that way, I can see the new movies in the future, he whistles for his wonderful horse when the fire is hot and the pot ready!

If horses are so healthy then why do horse owners have such a huge amount of dewormers and drugs of all types for them.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by itsallintheegg
For those who say "Meat is meat"... what about all those dogs that need homes? Would you support selling them to be eaten? What about all those unwanted Chinese girls, or aborted fetuses? Meat is meat, right?

I have been to Korea and China it wasn’t as tasty as cow but when you are hungry it doesn’t really matter.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by fluff007

I think it is quite hypocritical when people eat meat but say its wrong to eat dogs...

Exactly. I've been a vegetarian for years but, when I used to eat meat, that came up a lot. I loved the looks on the faces of other meateaters when I told them that the horse jerky at the local slaughtering house was the best damned meat I've ever tasted. It was true. The issue they had was that they somehow placed more value on the lives of horses than any of the other animals they eat. It's stupid. Now, I find it disgusting to eat any meat at all but for a meat eater to point fingers at other meat eaters is just funny to me.

ps - Also... I was always able to find horse jerky legally. I never knew that it wasn't supposed to happen.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Noooooooo! Fellow animal lover here!! So sad!!!! Must be stopped! =(

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

If it makes you feel better and morally superior then stew on this: if you consider eating meat murder and torture and that it makes people starve to death then fine- I am a murderer and torturer of animals and I cause people to starve to death and I feel fine about that. Now go stand on your mountain top and gaze down at all the immoral degenerates- I will be the one smacking on the barbecued rack of ribs and loving it!

it doesn't make me feel superior, it makes me feel humble. the humbling realization that humans are not superior beings, that through my prior diet many animals were tortured so that humans could starve. it isn't a feel good thing to accept. i cannot escape what i've done, only try to educate others so that they do not make the same foolish mistakes.

i never thought i'd encounter someone who, after seeing the evidence, would say "i'm fine with that". it makes me sad.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Bob Sholtz

Because you are not seeing the other side of this discussion: that you are removing the behavior from "human behavior".

You have stumbled onto the conundrum of living: that to live, something else must die. Yes. This is sad. It isn't that no one realizes this. It is that as a human you should act like a human.

Human diet is made up of meat and vegetation. Not grains. The inclusion of grain represents the downfall of health. Obviously some humans handle grains better than others. But grains are of little true nutritional value when compared to the damage the carbohydrate does to the body when consumed with any frequency.

You have found peace by altering your behavior. This is not what everyone will do. And they shouldn't be expected to. But your "educating others to not make the mistakes you did" comes across as being condescending. Whether you mean it to or not. You are telling humans to not act human. There is just no way to do that without being condescending.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I am sorry I don't think you are responding to the correct person? where did I say "it's disgusting"?

I was speaking to the thread in general.

My response to you was indicated by using this:

reply to post by Char-Lee

The words AFTER the "reply to" NOT before it, was my response to you.

Very Very few humans are eaten by animals most spit them out after a taste and none are held in a tortuous situation waiting to be eaten except on Sci-fi when the aliens do it to humans.Over 25 million animals a day are killed in pain and misery as they lived for human food because it tastes good not because we need it.

www.morehouse.edu...

I already admitted that it happens less to humans.

Meat makes it easy for 7 billion humans to survive. It will be pretty hard to get food if all 7 billion humans were only eating what was grown at a few farms. The factories have all of the animals bunched together, and all of that meat can be used and sold. If we replaced that with just farms growing natural vegetables or fruits it'll be much less food compared to the animal meat.

According to the U.N. 18,000 children die every day of hunger [Link],

edit on 1-7-2013 by arpgme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
for what its worth,cattle infected with tuberculosis are only allowed to be processed at 1 place in america,the Hormel chili plant in texas.The ingredients and cooking method kills the disease...so they claim

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by DYepes

Animals are on this Earth to be eaten

You are an animal...you know this right?

Yes, and as I also stated during your cherry picking of my writings, many humans have been eaten by animals, and continue to be eaten to this day. There is probably an individual somewhere on planet Earth as you read this who is being consumed by another of Earth's predators. It could be a giant crocodile on the Nile, piranhas in the Amazon, a hyena on the Serengeti, a bear or wolves in the Tundra of North America, Lions on the Sahara, or a Hippo in the Congo. Hell even a bull shark has attacked and consumed human flesh in the heartland of America.

Thanks to firearms and ranged weapons, we do not fall prey often to the animals of this Earth. Remember that it has not always been so. A pack of stray dogs will attack you if they are hungry and you are alone with no means of defense. Do not remain so naïve to believe every Animal on Earth is not fair game to every other carnivore on Earth. Your body is merely a vessel of meat for the electrical synapses in your brain.

And to all the vegetarians on a mission (not you vegetarians who just do what you do and mind your own business and dietary habits and don't attempt to shove it down the throats of the general public), when you live to the ripe old age of 80-100, try to realize you will likely not be surrounded by fellow vegetarians during your day to day at the point of your life. So to say we are eating ourselves to an early grave is really being obnoxious and self righteous, and plain out incorrect.

My grandma is already past 80, and loves her prime rib and chicken soup. Oddly enough, I have never met a vegetarian as old a my grandmother. I am sure there are a few out there though, I just have not met them myself.

And for the record, I would absolutely eat dog if it were on a menu in America and I know it was raised on a proper diet, hopefully not corn based. As I never plan to leave America to travel to Not America, I will likely never come across one such menu.
edit on 7/2/2013 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

You have stumbled onto the conundrum of living: that to live, something else must die. Yes. This is sad. It isn't that no one realizes this. It is that as a human you should act like a human. Human diet is made up of meat and vegetation. Not grains. The inclusion of grain represents the downfall of health.

with plants not everything dies, and at least it can't feel pain.

humans are unique in a certain respect (though all species are unique by definition), that we have the ability to overcome our animalistic desires.

the human diet CAN be made up of meat and plants, however if that is what we are intended to eat, why does the addition of meat cause so many heath problems? i've given evidence that a vegan diet is far more healthy, and that meat tends to cause cancer, obesity, and many sicknesses. you are still making claims like they are correct, but not backing them with research. i know i cannot ask you to watch 55 minutes of that presentation, but you would benefit from it.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Meat makes it easy for 7 billion humans to survive. It will be pretty hard to get food if all 7 billion humans were only eating what was grown at a few farms. The factories have all of the animals bunched together, and all of that meat can be used and sold. If we replaced that with just farms growing natural vegetables or fruits it'll be much less food compared to the animal meat.

sorry, but you're quite mistaken.

"If all the grain currently fed to livestock in the United States were consumed directly by people, the number of people who could be fed would be nearly 800 million," David Pimentel, professor of ecology in Cornell University's College of Agriculture and Life Sciences

Grain-fed beef production takes 100,000 liters of water for every kilogram of food. Raising broiler chickens takes 3,500 liters of water to make a kilogram of meat. In comparison, soybean production uses 2,000 liters for kilogram of food produced; rice, 1,912; wheat, 900; and potatoes, 500 liters.

news.cornell.edu...

we grow tons of food, then use most of it to feed livestock, to get back a much smaller amount of food. the land that the grain is grown on is used, AND the land to keep the cattle is used JUST so we can get meat from the cattle.

our consumption of meat makes world hunger possible.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

with plants not everything dies,
Tell that to the onion that gets pulled from the earth to eat.

and at least it can't feel pain.
THis is an assumption. One that some studies indiciate is untrue. Just because it doesn't bleat out in pain doesn't mean it doesn't suffer.

humans are unique in a certain respect (though all species are unique by definition), that we have the ability to overcome our animalistic desires.
Overcoming your animalistic desires means you wait to have sex, and don't force it on others. It has nothing to do with eating like humans eat. Partaking in the human experience. We live in our concrete buildings and forget that we once lived in caves. All those baubles someone made for you....without them you are still a human.

the human diet CAN be made up of meat and plants, however if that is what we are intended to eat, why does the addition of meat cause so many heath problems? i've given evidence that a vegan diet is far more healthy, and that meat tends to cause cancer, obesity, and many sicknesses. you are still making claims like they are correct, but not backing them with research. i know i cannot ask you to watch 55 minutes of that presentation, but you would benefit from it.

I work 15 hours a day trying to open a business. i have time to swoop in and post, but digging for links is something that is difficult. I have a video linked in an email I need to dig out for you.

In any event, some folks don't tolerate animal proteins. My oldest son can't eat pork because of protein sensitivity. Then again, i know quite a few folks who cannot eat wheat because of gluten sensitivity.

Proteins are funny things. Each of us is different. We are individuals. Not one diet works for all. My genetic heritage is from an extreme northern climate, before as raiders my ancestors settles in Hungary. Meat eating is part and parcel in the northern climes, as animals are the perfect energy storage mechanisms for vegetables. My ancestors ate veggies all spring and summer, while their stock animals were fattened on the same. Then during the winter they ate meat, where their vegetables energy was stored.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Tell that to the onion that gets pulled from the earth to eat.

that is why i clearly specified "not everything". fruits, berries, peppers, tomatoes, nuts, etc.

THis is an assumption. One that some studies indiciate is untrue. Just because it doesn't bleat out in pain doesn't mean it doesn't suffer.

it is more of a hypothesis than assumption. given what we know of pain, plants do not have the necessary systems to interpret pain. i have never seen anything to suggest that plants feel pain. the closest people come is showing plants that react to touch, or certain stimuli. there is nothing to suggest that this is anything beyond mechanical.

people have made a similar argument towards animals in the past, but no one doubted their ability to perceive stimuli, they merely thought that pain in animals was pointless because they weren't aware. with plants (which have been studies extensively) there is no evidence of them even being able to feel pain or any sensation.

Overcoming your animalistic desires means you wait to have sex, and don't force it on others. It has nothing to do with eating like humans eat.

it means that humans cannot say "other animals eat meat, therefore we should too". other animals do a lot of things that we find distasteful and wrong. it is not a sound source of justification.

I work 15 hours a day trying to open a business. i have time to swoop in and post, but digging for links is something that is difficult. I have a video linked in an email I need to dig out for you.

i wish you luck in your endeavors, i know how tough 15 hr days can be.

posted on Jul, 2 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus
That's disgusting. They can count me out of eating horse meat.

I can understand if they put it in something like Taco Bell or similar 'food'.

People that frequent Taco Bell already don't care about what they eat.

I'm curious - why is eating horse meat any different then any other meat?

I'm not a vegetarian. I'd like to be, in principle, but just feel crumby on a vegetarian diet for too long and so eat meat in moderation. I get most of my protein from animal sources - eggs, dairy and I need a lot to feel okay.

I'm outraged by the way the vast majority of 'meat' animals are raised and treated throughout their life cycle. Factory Farming whether of animal or plant is, in my opinion, a major cause of environmental degregation across the planet.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join