It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[Must Watch] Smartphone Secrets

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I recenty got my first smart phone. OK, now it keeps on synchronizing everything you want on the web. People I haven't heard about for years suddenly appear as ghosts...
I suggest you keep a "bogus profile" with a "phoney birth date" etc. if have the time - for these guys, definitely.
The rest of them will know.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
This is hardly a secret... the exact same thing happens with PC's. When you move a file to the trash bin and then empty the trash bin the file doesn't actually get deleted from your HDD, the operating system just frees up the space used by that file so that other data can be written on top of it. Until data is actually written over the old data, it's extremely easy to recover that old data. That's why a good erasing tool will write random data over the top of the old data, with several passes to be safe.
edit on 30/6/2013 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

Exactly, I use a program called Eraser that does exactly what you say, pretty good tool to have if you have sensitive data on your HDD like social security info, family matters, credit card info, etc

That is why I fear the push for "cloud" based computing, then your data is no longer really in your direct control. So, yeah say you delete your info from the cloud server, is it really gone or was it copied first? Just can't tell with these things anymore.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kokatsi
I recenty got my first smart phone. OK, now it keeps on synchronizing everything you want on the web. People I haven't heard about for years suddenly appear as ghosts...
I suggest you keep a "bogus profile" with a "phoney birth date" etc. if have the time - for these guys, definitely.
The rest of them will know.

That is why being socially connected to all different sources at one time could be a really bad thing, it really puts in to perspective the ability to trace and track your habits.

You pretty much always sync up to google every time you update anything, such as contacts, and data storage.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I have several old phones, with the batteries out, in the closet. I never give them away, just for this reason. If/when I do get rid of them, I will burn them. There are too many people and programs out there that can extract info from old electronics, to just give away old phones, tablets and the like.

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Do what I did 3 years ago.

Over the bridge and into the deep cold water.

Done.

Anyone who doesn't do the same deserves what they get...period.

Peace

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

looool that is the Nokia N Gage a handheld gaming mobile , 8 years old

posted on Jul, 1 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by yamammasamonkey

I'm not sure if I would consider the phone's WiFi untraceable since it has a MAC address that unless you are spoofing one, somebody (insert alphabet organization here) who is really interested in your internet movements may be able to trace back to the cell phone company and then get your personal info from them. Unless of course you are using someone else's old phone and that brings me to another issue, if you put your phone in one of those collection boxes at Home Depot or other store that collect them and somebody removes it and uses it to hack something, the feds may end up at your door anyway. Erasing the data will not erase the MAC address so the fact that WiFi could be traced is always a possibility.

edit on 1-7-2013 by evc1shop because: added a consonant

top topics

<< 1   >>

join