It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ecuador President: Snowden Can't Leave Moscow

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

ECUADOR PRESIDENT: SNOWDEN CAN'T LEAVE MOSCOW

bigstory.ap.org

PUERTO VIEJO, Ecuador (AP) — National Security Agency leaker Edward Snowden is "under the care of the Russian authorities" and can't leave Moscow's international airport without his U.S. passport, Ecuadorean President Rafael Correa told The Associated Press Sunday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: All Caps. Please Review This Link.

edit on 30-6-2013 by Ahabstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
So it appears that Snowden is in this "protective custody mode" by the Russian authorities at this time and Ecuador's President Correa appears to be hesitate about requesting any asylum to Snowden but will only take it into consideration if he can make it to Ecuador. Correa stated, that if Snowden did indeed broke any U.S. laws that he assume responsibility. Ecuador consul in Lodon at the time made an error when granting him safe passage and did not even advise Escuador's capital. Hmm I wonder why?

So at this time, why would Russia keep him in their custody? Are they really protecting him or will they hand him over to the U.S. under some sort of deal?

Any takers?

bigstory.ap.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
So at this time, why would Russia keep him in their custody? Are they really protecting him or will they hand him over to the U.S. under some sort of deal?

I seriously doubt that. Putin LOVES to poke west. It would probably make his year if he could figure out how to give Obama an STI.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
He may not even be there anymore, for all we know...

But if he is still in the transit zone, unable to travel internationally due to a lack of passport, and unable to step foot outside of the airport due to the lack of a Russian Visa; than his best bet is to sit tight and apply for asylum in Russia, providing the authorities allow him to.

Furthermore, if he is still located in the transit zone, it would be safe to assume that the Russians are drilling him for all the information they can get. If they are though, it may not work, as Julian Assange has stated that the information of which Snowden was carrying was passed on to affiliated parties before he left Hong Kong.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sylent6

Or ..... maybe the Russians have reason to suspect Snowden isn't exactly what/who he says he is.

It was only a month or so ago that Russia deported a CIA spy back to the US.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I know this is a long shot but, what are the odds of Snowden deflecting to Russia?

Just imagine Snowden working for the Russians in exchange for "indefinite detention" in the u.s. With all of his knowledge about the nsa and other intel communties, I'm sure the Russians would drink to that.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by frazzle

I don't think Russian would just deport him back to the u.s. just yet, I bet they're milking him dry. But if Russia has or knows everything about the nsa program them why hold him.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I do not think Snowden have any real relevance for FSB. Russia have for sure lot of agents in ludicrously inflated US "intelligence" apparatus. This is more of diplomacy chess game, flexing muscles for domestic and foreign audience. Take into account that any Snowden's revelation is daily bread for "conspiration theorists". We were talking about it for at least from Echelon times.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I'm not understanding this "he doesn't have a US passport"

How did Snowden get on the plane in Hong Kong then ?

How did he get TO Hong Kong then ?

I smell something rotten with the story.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It is very likely that his passport has been revoked, and likely surrendered since the story broke.

Without a passport, you can receive no visas to travel between nations.

It's all part of human "freedom."

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I'm going to believe Russia on this one. I think Correa is misunderstanding the situation.

It sounds like what's happening is that Russia is taking this "communications eavesdropping" that the NSA has been doing in the U.S. and the EU very seriously. Yes, Snowden is under the care of the Russians in the transit area. Yes, Snowden can leave whenever he wants but I think he's being strongly "advised" that it wouldn't be in his best interest to do so. Russia can protect Snowden better than any country in the world, Snowden knows this, and Snowden's PC is quite possibly the one item in the world that is worth the most to everybody right now.

How do you think Germany got the information they did off Snowden's computer? Russia and Snowden thought it would be in the best interest of the international community if Germany, which pretty much leads the EU, knew what the NSA was doing in that part of the world Why Germany? They're the ones who pretty much pull the strings over there. Forget the Middle East and the political and ideological differences that keep that region at a boiling point. That pales in comparison to what is really going on right now. I really doubt that Putin is keeping Snowden as leverage the Middle East B.S. He has bigger fish to fry right now.

Also, this is all a bit more complicated then saying that Snowden is working for Russia, or Germany, or any one country in particular. A lot of countries are really pissed off at America right now, and what is on Snowden's computer proves everyone's suspicions, and justifies their anger at it all. And as long as Snowden remains in Russia, Russia will have the upper hand in this and will help dictate who knows what, and when.

I don't have proof of any of this BTW. This is just how I'm understanding the situation based off of what I hear from various media's

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Quote me if I'm wrong but I think the U.S. revoke his passport when he arrived in Russia. He knows he can't go to Ecuador and even Ecuador's President is split down the middle by U.S. pressure.

I think Snowden knows he maybe going down for this. I don't really think Russian cares for this kid and if not Snowden is getting "snowed". I would like to call it a "Political Hostage" situation.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

It is very likely that his passport has been revoked, and likely surrendered since the story broke.

Without a passport, you can receive no visas to travel between nations.

It's all part of human "freedom."

You're right.

Now I remember reading that the State Dept invalidated his passport.

Even though he may have possession, it is no longer any good.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

So you are saying that Snowden is being used to hammer a few nails into NATO? Interesting.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Here is an interesting possibility,If Snowden comes back I would submit he may be a a trojan horse.The purpose of which is to get us to do something stupid and attack so they can have some people to come after who break the law.
Just leak a few old programs (Not the important ones)and wreck us overseas so that a further degradation can occur in our countryAKA Clower and Piven.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My theory about Snowden is simple :

Is not what he told, it's what he didn't tell yet. The reasons they are chasing him are just a cover up for something bigger. They know once he feels 100% safe, the pandora box will be open.

Remember my words.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I'm inclining to notion that all PRISM fuss is much more about industrial espionage than about "citizens privacy". If you want to snoop on ordinary citizens just buy access to facebook API and you do not need any unlawful wiretapping. And I'm talking here only about why POLITICIANS do some fuss about it. For sure if I would be in position to snoop The World I would do it, I would store any peace of information because it can turn in gold in future. Imagine some ordinary teen smoking weed, engorge whiskey, f....g peer. It will be golden mine during potential election campaign in some distant future. Information IS power.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
My theory about Snowden is simple :

Is not what he told, it's what he didn't tell yet. The reasons they are chasing him are just a cover up for something bigger. They know once he feels 100% safe, the pandora box will be open.

Remember my words.

And then when he thinks he is 100% safe... has an "accident" or dies a "natural" death!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
The more I sit back and look at the broader picture of this whole mess, the man is risking his life and freedom for some petty classified documents about u.s. spying on the world? I think some of us knew that already and when this story first broke, it was no surprise to me at all but I would like to know what is he really hiding to risk all of his freedom and wasting everyone lovely time or this guy is looking for some attention after being stuck in somebody's cubical for a long time.

posted on Jun, 30 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sylent6
reply to post by frazzle

I don't think Russian would just deport him back to the u.s. just yet, I bet they're milking him dry. But if Russia has or knows everything about the nsa program them why hold him.

I don't think they'd deport him either. If he IS a US asset and even if he doesn't know much, just the fact that he's being held has to be making somebody in DC very anxious. Spooks always say intelligence is useless without someone actually being on the ground on the inside and an alleged defector / international hero could probably get there fairly easily. Well, unless some Russian type was paying really close attention. But the US media, in their gushing way, pushed his "heroism" a little too far to be credible, at least IMO.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join