It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the "S" stand for in MAN OF STEEL???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
also in the original series he hides among men as a reporter, disguising himself. Sort of like how satan operates now, hiding out and operating behind the scenes.
edit on 25-6-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

You are correct about the movie directly taking the plot from the Bible; however, I think you should take it a step further and consider "S" as serpent instead of Satan. Satan is simply a metaphor for the malevolent reptilians. The word for God in Hebrew is "El" just like the "House of El" in Superman. Elohim is the plural from of El and is found in this popular phrase in the Bible as the subject: "Let us create man in our image according to our likeness".

More info can be found on Youtube if you search these videos:
Jordan Maxwell - Astrotheology
Chuck Missler - Return of the Nephilim

Hope this helps!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by WorkerOfLight

You are correct about the movie directly taking the plot from the Bible; however, I think you should take it a step further and consider "S" as serpent instead of Satan. Satan is simply a metaphor for the malevolent reptilians. The word for God in Hebrew is "El" just like the "House of El" in Superman. Elohim is the plural from of El and is found in this popular phrase in the Bible as the subject: "Let us create man in our image according to our likeness".

More info can be found on Youtube if you search these videos:
Jordan Maxwell - Astrotheology
Chuck Missler - Return of the Nephilim

Hope this helps!

See I knew it! I knew it!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
I was watching the movie MAN OF STEEL. It's funny how they kept asking in the movie.....

"what does the "S" stand for???"

So I was thinking about it....

And here's what I came up with... This is a little out in left field, but hear me out...

The Superman story seems to have a odd similarity to the story in the bible. Which is in another world a superior race existed. They had a battle there. As a result one male individual with super powers was sent to live out there life on earth. However this superior being who had the form of a man has super powers and was able to dominate humans.

That's the same story as the bible. Battle in heaven. Satan is sent to earth. He has super powers and is able to dominate humans. Like a striking similarity in some ways.

Then the irony gets thick as in the movie/story the "S" stands for Superman, but maybe it was suppose to be sort of a spoof on the idea that it could also mean "Satan".

Now I'm not saying Satan is good, the way superman is portrayed to be good. Obviously satan want to kill and destroy everyone but I'm just saying the way the stories unfold and the "S" and a super powerful male figure seems rather coincidental???

What do you think?

Yes! I actually like this theory, even though it may not have been an intentional thing by, well anyone really. I mean the story in Man of Steel is really no different than the original superman story, maybe a slightly embellished tale on krypton before its destruction, but that's it . However, it is interesting that Superman's entire story is obviously intentionally in parallel with the story of Jesus in the bible. Even Superman's age in the movie when he "sacrifices himself" to save humanity by revealing himself to the world, is 33. But you're right, Superman's powers could be perceived as demonic, red lasers shooting out of his eyes, etc...Besides, everyone LOVES superman right? And it is said that the anti-christ would be the person you LEAST expect. The person everyone would least expect to be the anti-christ, would be christ himself. It's a conundrum, but a logical one if you think about it. That is what I think the true secret of christianity. That they have known, for thousands of years, that God is not a one sided god, that there is no dualistic separation, no individual entities for good and evil. The concept of Baphomet in the Knights Templar. It was depicted as an evil god, Satan even, a man with a goat's head sitting within an upside down pentagram, However, what Baphomet truly represents is the concept of good and evil combined into one idea. Yin and Yang, basically, existing within the same "entity", or concept really. Baphomet was nothing more than a personification of forces of nature, as in any mythological god, yet is was a more conceptually advanced personification of perceived dual opposing forces existing as one, or coming from the same source. So, in reality, the S on Superman's chest could stand for Satan and Savior. He could, on a deeper level, really represent the archetype of Baphomet.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
also in the original series he hides among men as a reporter, disguising himself. Sort of like how satan operates now, hiding out and operating behind the scenes.
edit on 25-6-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

You have never read any comics have you? He has a secret identity to protect those that are close to him. And when asked by Lois Lane what the "S" stands for, Superman states that it is not an "S", but rather the Kryptonian symbol for "hope".

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Whatever they coded this to be, Superman can fly, he's light as a feather and therefore not heavy with guilt and sin.

To me, the inverted pyramid means Equality and Infinite Progression, and the S in the positive coding means Infinity should not be groundhog day the movie, a circle, but a Spiral.

So that is the Good/Light code for Superman. He's my favorite superhero!
edit on 25-6-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   

the "S" "symbol" is actually a kryptonian ideogram

it's pronounced "El"

In the 1978 feature film Superman: The Movie, it was said that the S-shield was actually a Kryptonian glyph that served as a family seal for the House of El.

Later TV and animated adaptations all followed this explanation.

Finally, in 2003, the comic books followed suit. In the story Superman: Birthright, writer Mark Waid modernized the hero's early days to much acclaim and altered the origin of the shield. Waid revealed that the symbol was not only a family crest, as the films had first indicated, but was also an ancient Kryptonian symbol that meant "hope." This meaning and legacy was why Clark chose it as his seal when he became a public hero and its resemblance to a stylized letter S, along with his incredibly abilities, is what inspired reporter Lois Lane to call him "Superman."

www.newsarama.com...
[slide 5]

Initially, the S-shield had one meaning: S for Superman. One of the first alternative meanings was presented in Superman: The Movie, in which it was not an S, but rather the S-shaped Coat of arms of the House of El. After the Superman reboot story The Man of Steel, the symbol's story was that it was designed by Jonathan Kent and was derived from an ancient Native American symbol. The symbol was featured on a medicine blanket given to an ancestor of the Kent family by a Native American tribe after he helped to cure them of a plague and was supposed to represent a snake, an animal held to possess healing powers by the tribe (implying that, by wearing this symbol, Superman was a metaphorical healer). In 2004, Mark Waid's Superman: Birthright series says the S-Shield is the Kryptonian symbol for "hope" and Superman believes it may have begun as a coat of arms for the House of El. Later, writer Geoff Johns confirmed it was indeed a coat of arms, as well as a symbol for hope. In the 2013 film Man of Steel, when asked by Lois Lane what the "S" stands for, Superman states that it is not an "S", but rather the Kryptonian symbol for "hope". [3]
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

Yahtzee!

We have a snake, folks! Check out the story about the Indian blanket with the symbol on it and what the symbol stands for in the post above me...

I was almost thinking Sampson in the Bible cause he was super strong, and had a weakness, or rather, a source to his strength, which was his long hair. If you cut his hair.shorter, he would weaken that much more...

Of course, superman doesn't have long hair,.but maybe that's what the cape represents... Supermans weakness was a glowing green rock like substance called kryptonite. I wonder how this "having a weakness" thing would tra.slate to some of these other origin stories, like Satan, or the serpent. What's their weakness? Is a green rock a clue somehow? Or the name kryptonite. I think supermans home planet was called Krypton, so it seems to just mean "a rock from krypton"?

Any symbolism to Louise Lane? It's a double L. name... 12th letter of the alphabet... Same with Lex Luthor...
Hmmm I dunno... I do remember his father and mother had some interesting names. And then there is Clark Kent, a double K sound... but with a CK instead of KK... Maybe they said thst would be too obvious so just do the phonetic sound for the main character.

Is this to let you know these characters have double meanings to them?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join