It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What does the "S" stand for in MAN OF STEEL???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I was watching the movie MAN OF STEEL. It's funny how they kept asking in the movie.....

"what does the "S" stand for???"

So I was thinking about it....

And here's what I came up with... This is a little out in left field, but hear me out...

The Superman story seems to have a odd similarity to the story in the bible. Which is in another world a superior race existed. They had a battle there. As a result one male individual with super powers was sent to live out there life on earth. However this superior being who had the form of a man has super powers and was able to dominate humans.

That's the same story as the bible. Battle in heaven. Satan is sent to earth. He has super powers and is able to dominate humans. Like a striking similarity in some ways.

Then the irony gets thick as in the movie/story the "S" stands for Superman, but maybe it was suppose to be sort of a spoof on the idea that it could also mean "Satan".

Now I'm not saying Satan is good, the way superman is portrayed to be good. Obviously satan want to kill and destroy everyone but I'm just saying the way the stories unfold and the "S" and a super powerful male figure seems rather coincidental???

What do you think?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

My guess is no.

They probably just kept the original S there and it still means Superman. Or Steel....

edit on 25-6-2013 by Teye22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I assume you mean the 'S' symbol on his chest? Its the kryptonain symbol for 'the house of El' which is supermans family crest if you will

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

but most movies and tv shows are often just new spins on old stories. Like I heard Sons of Anarchy is just a modern McBeth or something like that. And so on and so on. So maybe the guy who wrote superman just new the bible story and thought it sounded interesting and created his own spin on it. So instead of Satan being bad he would be good. And still incorporate the "S" into the plaught line.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

The S is actually not an S at all. It is a Krptonian symbol that stands for 'The House of El' which is the family where Superman (Kal-El) came from on Kryton. Actually, it has been around for many years, references to that fact have been around since at least the 1970s. While Siegel and Shuster obviously meant for the stylized S to stand for Superman, in both the 1970s movie and the 1986 re-vamp of the comic book, Superman had no actual name until he was named by Lois Lane. It was intended that Lois got the idea from both his Super Human feats and what appeared to be the letter S on his chest.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLookingGlass
I assume you mean the 'S' symbol on his chest? Its the kryptonain symbol for 'the house of El' which is supermans family crest if you will

oh sure sure that's what they want you to believe

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Got beat to it....

Watch the movie again and pay attention, they explain it.
edit on 25-6-2013 by CalibratedZeus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
If you were actually paying attention to the movie it was stated that the "S" was the Kryptonian symbol for hope. It's also the family crest for the House of El.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spacespider

The S is actually not an S at all. It is a Krptonian symbol that stands for 'The House of El' which is the family where Superman (Kal-El) came from on Kryton. Actually, it has been around for many years, references to that fact have been around since at least the 1970s. While Siegel and Shuster obviously meant for the stylized S to stand for Superman, in both the 1970s movie and the 1986 re-vamp of the comic book, Superman had no actual name until he was named by Lois Lane. It was intended that Lois got the idea from both his Super Human feats and what appeared to be the letter S on his chest.

See you've proven me right, there was no name for the "S" before. They knew someone smart like me would figure it out eventually so there was a coverup and they tried to call him "superman" when all along they knew someone might figure it out and realize it means "satan".

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
It stands for Slytherin house where he belonged during school.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Well I suppose if your comparing it to stories from the bible, I wouldn't go for the satan analogy......but I'm sure there's a story in the bible where a father sends his only son (who has mysterious powers) down to earth to battle evil and save mankind.

can't think what it is though

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

It stands for Spartacus699 you know.

Also, when did satan want to kill everyone? I don't think that's right. It's probably how people who are afraid of god would think, but really, the point of satan was to corrupt you away from being selfless.

More about doing things for yourself, and doing unto others the same as they do unto you. Slap my face I slap you twice as hard, sort of thing, as opposed to christs, slap my face and I'll turn the other cheek so you can have another go at it.

But then, if you really look at it.. the religious folk are the most evil of all. Just look at the thread, brazilian pastor and his jesus milk..

Only in a congregation.. lmao

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
He wasnt an individual with special powers sent to earth. All kryptonians are powered in similar fashion by the yellow sun. The S is more of a crest than a letter, as another user stated, it represents the House of El. Just like that Z thinger represents the house of Zod.

Keep reaching TC, keep reaching.

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

The Superman story seems to have a odd similarity to the story in the bible. Which is in another world a superior race existed. They had a battle there.

Perceptive deduction. So which animal is shaped like an 's'?

clue: pronouncing sssssssssssss phonetically--- should give that away fast

Serpentine bloodline that was deemed superior by the 'fallen' in their dominion over men.

The 'Superman' character being placed narratively into the 'house of El' (short for Elohim) is essentially representative of his being in the place of God, just as the serpentine ilk have attempted to do here in their gross rebellions.

Obviously satan want to kill and destroy everyone

First approaches as a benevolent 'helper' of mankind, just as in the Garden. The fallen nature has not changed for millenia through the earthen cycles.

The Men 'of Steel'. Steel is iron that has most of the impurities removed.

"And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay."
King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
edit on 25-6-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Awww man I want to see the movie!

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimeLight
Perceptive deduction. So which animal is shaped like an 's'?

clue: pronouncing sssssssssssss phonetically--- should give that away fast

A seahorse?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Why wouldn't they use the same story that has brainwashed almost every human that has ever lived over the last few thousand years?

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Geeky 'truth' answer: The 'S' is the Kryptonian symbol for "hope"

posted on Jun, 25 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Junkheap

hehe cute, but not quite cheeky one.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join