It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Liners (Posting) --- Yay or Nay?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
I will say I don't appreciate the one or two liner OPs though. A video or a link accompanied by a "What say you ATS?" just doesn't cut the mustard.

Hey, if you use a large enough quote from an external source, you can get away with it--easy.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NarcolepticBuddha

That's not true.
If it's minimal...as in "look what I found"... it can still be actioned by staff.
The following is about threads, but it still holds for posts to a smaller degree...

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites
please post one or two paragraphs,
a link to the entire story,
AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

I hate to be egregious and contradictory, but why do I see so many of these threads with very large quotes (or a youtube vid etc.)--and about 2 whole lines of inconsequential text? No commentary, no supplemental information, no analysis of the information, and no personal opinion or revelation about the information given.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sorry, but threads like these just aren't original, user-generated content. (this was just the last one in my recent memory.)

edit on 23-6-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I have always loved humerous one liners. If you've made them, I probably starred your post. There are also too many occasions where one line is all that is neccesary, otherwise the reply is redundant and someone just goes on and on saying the same thing only in different ways.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star
I have always loved humerous one liners.

Oh, sure. Who doesn't love a one-liner, a zinger, a bon mot?--even a fuddy-duddy like me is no exception. But if that is to be normative and acceptable behavior...we need to drop these little reminders that are present EVERY time someone posts:

"make every post matter."

"(Minimal posts that contribute nothing to the thread are subject to immediate removal.)"

I spent 10 years looking for an outlet like ATS to express my experiences and learn from others. I do not want to see this site turn into a joke like the youtube comments section.

I understand that "brevity is the soul of wit" and all, but some people take this site, and its subject matter, very seriously. I am one of those members.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I suggest you alert staff to these minimal OPs.
The better the OP the better the discussion...and that is good for ATS.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

It's an interesting conundrum though. Using the thread I posted as an example only, it sets a bad example for minimal posting, right? But on the other hand, it was a homepage headline that generated plenty of responses.

So, what gives? Are minimal posts only minimal when they backfire or go unnoticed, unchallenged?

These are legitimate questions, and I am not trying to be a rebel without a cause here

Just trying to express my disdain with minimal posts. Thanks for your suggestion, and I shall be more vigilant when I see site rules and standards being ignored.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

Brevity is the soul of wit. . . .

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Brevity is the soul of wit. . . .

Indeed, that's why I posted that Shakespeare quote just above yours.
But redundant posting due to not reading the thread is a topic I shall save for another day

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Unable to edit so will post apology here.

2nd line.

ETA: I guess that makes me just half brevity. . .

edit on 23-6-2013 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Having a can of spray paint doesn't necessarily mean you have anything meaningful to say.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Generally speaking, the better the OP, the better the thread....and the opposite usually holds true.

As with any rule, there are exceptions. Such as a truly breaking story may have no details...or even a source.
Sometimes it's a new member who needs gentle guidance.

Members should always strive for quality in their OPs.
An example is posting a video with little or not input.....you can guarantee it will be derailed on page one.

So, if a new OP is seen lacking.....alert staff.....

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I don't ever want to read"google is your friend"...again...what a pissy remark.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I could care less about the OP. If it's pressing info, I don't care if they add their opinion. If it's something that requires a detailed explanation + their own overview then by all means please elaborate.

What gets me are these Facebook posts on ATS.

Pretty simple stuff.

Seems to me the lazies just don't want it to change. Don't beat around the bush, just admit you're lazy.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Im wondering just how much you "could care less"?

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think a lot of members are confused by what we mean by "one-liners".

For one thing, in the "Off-Topic" forums, no big deal, and really shouldn't get dinged for it.

Even in other forums, if your one line adds some good information to the thread, you won't get dinged for it either. (for example, if someone asked for a supporting link, and you just replied with the link...that's cool).

It's when there is just a one liner comment that adds no content, that the rule exists in the first place. (and in an OP, it simply isn't tolerated).

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yup. Exactly.

However we both know that the no-junk-policy has been wavering recently. A good example is the UFO & Aliens / Paranormal forum.

Though it is frowned upon, very rarely do I see anyone penalized for driveby comments, even when fairly rude to the OP.

(Note: This isn't about the systematic destruction of people's threads via derailment; merely the overall laziness in which it is done.)

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Im wondering just how much you "could care less"?

Try reading the post again

The issue isn't about OPs.
The threadmaking community is doing just fine..
.It's the posting community that needs a good kick in the ass IMHO.

posted on Jul, 3 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

However we both know that the no-junk-policy has been wavering recently. A good example is the UFO & Aliens / Paranormal forum.

Though it is frowned upon, very rarely do I see anyone penalized for driveby comments, even when fairly rude to the OP.

Contrary to popular opinion, we aren't omniscient. If it isn't reported, and a mod doesn't see it, no way for it to be actioned. So, if you see it, and don't report it, can you really blame us if nothing is done about it?

On the list of T&C violations, one-liners are pretty minor though. We'd rather see folks alert more serious infractions, so we can try and keep things civil instead.

posted on Jul, 9 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Exactly me amigo ---- Reporting is useless for one-liners. The only way to improve the quality of posting on ATS is to change the Standard back to 2010 and before.

I'll not bother with criticizing the mods, they do hard (and free) work for ATS all the time.
But damn it, some of you guys have to have noticed that this website is very much turning into Facebook's Anonymous.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join