It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100th monkey syndrome ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Hi, I was recently reading a post and someone mentioned something about the 100th monkey syndrome and it sounded very interesting and I was wondering if anyone has any information on this. I tryed google but I got a bunch of spiritual stuff and not really any useful info so please reply. Thank you.

posted on Nov, 7 2004 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Why not u2u the person who made the reference in the post, and then start a new topic back here? I would be interested in reading about this myself, it sounds very intriguing.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:05 AM
link   
the 100th monkey syndrom is refering to an experiment conducted in the wild with monkeys.

The people were GIVING the monkeys melons and squash to eat....ONLY if the monkey would learn to WASH the food first. (I am unable to recall just HOW they did the teaching).........there was a nearbye water sorce to wash the food itams........and over and over they tried to teach the monkeys to wash the food.... ONLY then the monkeys could have/keep the food. Many many monkeys were shown this but they never seamed to retain the information.
One monkey was differant, it learned fast to wash and keep the food. This monkey was called the 100th monkey, because he was like the 100th monkey they had tried to teach the washing process to. He learned this fast, and was washing his food. The following day.......all the monkeys in a vast radious surrounding the test site began washing the food. ALL THE MONKEYS! not JUST the monkeys they were teaching...but ALL in a vast surrounding area.
They came to believe that CERTAIN creatures learned new behavior and it was then SHARED in some strange phychic way to ALL the other creatures.

So...the 100th monkey syndrom can be used as an example of how when enough creatures are taught something they will FINALLY behave in the new way......ALSO/OR......it can mean that when you teach the CORRECT individual the new technique, the rest will then follow suit.

you may ask yourself if YOU are a 100th monkey, or are you just one of the crowd?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
interesting story on the 100 monkey syndrome there RG. that all seems to be quite fascinating.

Originally posted by theRiverGoddess
So...the 100th monkey syndrom can be used as an example of how when enough creatures are taught something they will FINALLY behave in the new way......ALSO/OR......it can mean that when you teach the CORRECT individual the new technique, the rest will then follow suit.

however, although washing and keeping good fruit seems all good and harmless, lets not forget to consider the opposite approach, like i dunno... teaching 100 monkeys to kill for example. a little extreme i know, but im refering it to the possibility of this phenomenons effect on us humans. hmmm... consumerism, desensitization of vilonce through television... i think we're all picking it up quite well dont you think?

ooops, almost forgot...

dfh out. ahh.. thats better.

[edit on 8-11-2004 by deaf fences hit]

[edit on 8-11-2004 by deaf fences hit]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Deaf....you are 100 percent CORRECT in what your saying.

We humans, have ALOT to think about that way..........all behaviour could be included in this catagory.......and not just monkeys...
but US as humans.............

It gives one pause to say the least.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Hundredth Monkey Phenomenon, unfortunately, is folklore from way back....

Potato-Washing Psychic Monkeys found on Gilligan's Isle

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Proof? Where is this guys proof he proivides no sources or anything he just tells us. ?

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
If the 100th monkey syndrome works in humans it makes me wonder about some cultural movements in our history. It could explain the hippie movement of the Vietnam Era. It could even explain how elections are won. I know this goes into conspiracy but what if our government has worked on this theory and has people placed strategically to in effect use mind control to sway ideologies. Just a thought.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by IndridCold
Proof? Where is this guys proof he proivides no sources or anything he just tells us. ?

Here is an investigative research document written in 1985 about Lyall Watson, who started the myth of HMP. Watson lists over 600 references from highly respected Japanese primatologists as evidence of his HMP theory. The problem is...there is no scientific documentation from any of the Japanese primatologist's papers or books to support HMP and Watson states that complete story was not told and that he was 'forced to improvise the details." This is typical of the proponents of "new age" using psuedoscientific research to "sell" their ideas/books/medicines. Here is the link with plenty of references should you wish to research further.

Investigation of Lyall Watson's HMP Theory

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

If the 100th monkey syndrome works in humans it makes me wonder about some cultural movements in our history.

How else do you think millions blindly followed men like Hitler despite realizing there was something sinister to it all? How do you think ordinary people stood by while herding innocent men, women, and children into gas chambers? There is definitely something to this.

Unfortunately , history seems doomed to repeat itself sooner rather than later....as we're (as a nation) only a few attacks away from endorsed genocide it seems....

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It does seem that these acts of terrorism will come to the Christians and Jewish performing genocide on Muslims and vice versa. Remember these ideologies are predominantly regional.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   
'The 100th monkey' is a book.......I read it like 20 years ago.

I believe the origonal intent was to SEE if monkeys in the wild were as teachable as monkeys in laboratory settings. Or did wild monkeys continue old behaviour patterns no matter what new thing they had been shown? Hence the experiment.........to learn the answers to such questions.

The results were starteling!..........the end results open up NEW questions about the so called 100th monkey. Was this creature a leader of his kind? Did this creature have powerfull phychic abilities that were then shared amongst the other creatures in the vicinity? Or did it just take the patience of the researchers to teach 100 monkeys?
It opened up alot of questions about natural phychic ability. Does only one monkey in 100 have such abilitys? Is this so called 100th monkey a KEY in some way to reaching the monkeys as a group? HOW does this relate to human behaviour and humans phychic ability?

The books leaves you with more unanswered questions than it answers.
It is a VERY worthwhile read.
It really IS a book I read, and is available in press .......NOT just 'some urban ledgend' as mentioned above. Maybe the Authors of this book took liberties in writting it, hence the belief its just a legdend.......but I am just answering the origonall posters question about ...'the 100th monkey'....I am using my own words of course in attempting to make the IDEA of the book clear to all readers.
(no way am I claiming I write with more clarity than the books authers, its been a long time since I read it)

[edit on 8-11-2004 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

If the 100th monkey syndrome works in humans it makes me wonder about some cultural movements in our history.

How else do you think millions blindly followed men like Hitler despite realizing there was something sinister to it all? How do you think ordinary people stood by while herding innocent men, women, and children into gas chambers? There is definitely something to this.

Unfortunately , history seems doomed to repeat itself sooner rather than later....as we're (as a nation) only a few attacks away from endorsed genocide it seems....

HMP Theory (if you can call it a theory) is vaguely based on morphic resonance which does not require line of sight/physical communication...it's a psychic learned response. The power afforded Hitler was due to manipulation and propaganda to create a non-psychic learned response and corrupt moral belief system.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I believe the origonal intent was to SEE if monkeys in the wild were as teachable as monkeys in laboratory settings. Or did ...

hey there; theRiverGoddess...it was more like in 1972
when this 100th monkey principle was first OBSERVED....
(ie- - it wasn't a controlled experiment.) its just the vigilent observers,
had their own EUREKA moment, as it happened.

see this page its about all i could find on short notice...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HUNDREDTH MONKEY PRINCIPLE = = = MORPHIC RESONANCE

don't get snowballed, the nay-sayers dismiss a 'universal consciousness'
which was the general label given this whole psyche thing...back then...

Phychologist Jung was interested in this 'mind-field' (play on words)

#

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I wish I could remember the show I saw on PBS...

a gentleman discussed the fact that thru acheological findings, man developed in many ways at the same rate...regaurdless of geographic location. He stated the findings proved that man was creating tools of the same nature at the same time, and "near simultaneous" discoveries despite no obvious chance of them meeting across vast divided continents. There was much more to this--He felt that "collective conciousness" or the theory that species have "common knowlege" was the reason.--But thru civilization, and organized learning facilities, these "tools of knowlege" are clouded or no longer necessary for the promotion of human kind, and only thru purpose and meditation can we access these tools.

The idea of collective conciousness and the common knowlege theory I beleive have been discussed in the Paranormal Anomalies board at ATS

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

I believe the origonal intent was to SEE if monkeys in the wild were as teachable as monkeys in laboratory settings. Or did ...

hey there; theRiverGoddess...it was more like in 1972
when this 100th monkey principle was first OBSERVED....
(ie- - it wasn't a controlled experiment.) its just the vigilent observers,
had their own EUREKA moment, as it happened.

#

Thats 34 years ago yes, is it HARD to think I read the book 20 years ago? I doubt that......I DO very much appreciate your link to the info, I plan to read it now......I did not say it WAS in a lab setting, I said they wanted to SEE if wild monkeys were as teachable as monkeys IN a lab setting....Im sorry if I was unclear and you misunderstood me....... I am pumped up about following your link though, so Ill take your flameing in stride and just keep smiling

Im just hoping Indridcold now has a grasp on the entire concept since that is what she was asking for. In the frame of DENY IGNORANCE......I am just attempting to share information. I am sure this link provided to the info is going to be used alot! I know I am heading there right now! KEWL!

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   

It really IS a book I read, and is available in press .......NOT just 'some urban ledgend' as mentioned above.

HMP Theory IS a myth. Just because a new age writer Lyall Watson wrote a book quoting "selective passages" from noted primatologist's scientific research papers to support his theory, does not make it a fact. I have provided a link with resources listed at the bottom of the page. You can choose to research them or not. I'm just applying the ATS motto here.

In the second link below is a brief translation of a written interview with Masao Kawai who was one of the senior researchers working on the original macaque project (keep in mind...Lyall Watson just wrote a book about the project and had nothing to do with the 10+ year research project). He even all but admits it's a myth stating on his Lifetide link of his bibliography page "I still think it's a good idea!" It can't be made more clear!

Lyall Watson's Lifetide (the book that sparked the controversy)

Interview with lead reasearcher

Watson Admits Slim Evidence and Hearsay
snip:
Watson continues: "I accept Amundson's analysis of the origin and evolution of the Hundredth Monkey without reservation. It is a metaphor of my own making, based--as he rightly suggests--on very slim evidence and a great deal of hearsay. I have never pretended otherwise. . . .

encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com...
snip:
"The Hundredth Monkey is an urban legend
from the book "Lifetide". In it he claimed to describe the observations of scientists studying macaques"

[edit on 8-11-2004 by antipigopolist]

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   

nk though, so Ill take your flameing in stride and just keep smiling

sorry if my voice is rough...i wasn't intending to ?dis-respect?...
BTW, the theory of Black Holes was sprouted in 1969--in proximity to the World Trade Tower #1....and then the 100th monkey, hit the anthropoligists/sociologists in '72...?

Im just hoping Indridcold now has a grasp on the entire concept since that is what she was asking for. In the frame of DENY IGNORANCE......I am just attempting to share information. I am sure this link provided to the info is going to be used alot! I know I am heading there right now! KEWL!

as, sparse as that document is, and my own fragmented thought lines are...Indridcold could sill be standing with palms upraised, as if to catch a ball...and losing it in the shadows....
have a good one!

posted on Jul, 30 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by IndridCold

The hundreth monkey experiment was a experimental psychological experiment that was conducted in Japan in the 1950s (not sure of date). In this experiment, monkeys on an isolated island were trained to wash their food before eating it. As they raised their young, they learned to teach their young to wash their food also.

Then, as years past, suddenly and without prompting, monkeys on a neighboring island began to wash their food before eating. An explanation of this is that the monkeys are connected at an unconscious level, and a threshold of consciousness was attained whereby the monkeys on the neighboring island "instinctively" began to wash their food. The key word is unconsious awareness.

new topics

top topics

join