It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carrying extra shotgun shells.. beside the side saddle?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
So I've got the side saddle and I've already ruled out the sling-saddle and bandolier for the way they interfere with movement and/or handgun setup.

Any options y'all use to carry twenty or more spare shotgun shells into the field that you're fond of? That don't interfere with a sidearm setup. -Mags

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I used a 'shooters vest' back when actively participating in skeet & trap shooting. It has some large pockets that can hold a lot of shells but, being a vest, your arms are still quite free to move.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Insurrection

My hubby's best friend has a pair of boots he hunts in that have leather shell holsters on them that he ordered from an outdoors store. Each boot has places for around 10 shells if I'm not mistaken. He's already in bed by now but if you'd like I can ask him where he ordered them from when he gets home from work tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pilgrum
I used a 'shooters vest' back when actively participating in skeet & trap shooting. It has some large pockets that can hold a lot of shells but, being a vest, your arms are still quite free to move.

That might work - it would interfere with other things but I ~think~, as you're suggesting, it would allow enough fast mobility to push itself out of the way too. Hrmm.

Originally posted by littled16
My hubby's best friend has a pair of boots he hunts in that have leather shell holsters on them that he ordered from an outdoors store. Each boot has places for around 10 shells if I'm not mistaken. He's already in bed by now but if you'd like I can ask him where he ordered them from when he gets home from work tomorrow.

That's curious and thank you for the hint but I don't think I could use anything down toward my ankles. The environment I'm in would prohibit it.

I was thinking the 3-Gun style shell caddies would work but on giving them a try I wanted to explore what other people were doing. Thanks much, -Mags

posted on Jun, 16 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I've got a belt that holds 25 rounds of 12 gauge shells - I can position it just about any old way so as to not interefere with handgun access - I could even hang a handgun and some spare mags from this belt with appropriate holsters, etc.

Another option if you plan on carrying the shotgun over your shoulder with a sling is the sling-bandelero.

ganjoa

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ganjoa

I actually have a shell holder that goes around the stock of my shotgun. It only holds 6, but it is pretty handy, especially for grabbing it in the middle of the night, when I'm not otherwise dressed with pockets, etc..

I'll also concur with the belt idea.

Out of curiosity though, what's wrong with the side saddle? That seems an ideal solution. Do you really think you'll need to have that much more ready shotgun ammo for any encounter? I'd think you'd have plenty of time between such encounters to restock the side saddle.

If ammo and rate of fire is concern, I'd recommend having a sidearm (in addition to the shotgun) that is an automatic.

edit on 18-6-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Leg carry might work. Something like this LINKY? Have no idea how it mounts. Just ran across it and remembered this thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by GazrokOut of curiosity though, what's wrong with the side saddle? That seems an ideal solution. Do you really think you'll need to have that much more ready shotgun ammo for any encounter? I'd think you'd have plenty of time between such encounters to restock the side saddle.

No - I have a six-shot side saddle. I said sling-saddle - sling bandolier I guess is the right way to refer to it. Pardon. I've tried them and they don't serve the sling use I want well and then a slide on to the sling I do want ended up being awkward, knocking shells out, and when trying to push toward my back to draw my sidearm the shells on the sling would get caught.

Looking at all the posted options folks. Thank you, -Mags

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Have you ever seen "The Way Of The Gun"?

Get a decent bag that can clip to your belt and you can hold tons of shells that are readily accessible. I'll dig through my gun junk later and see if I can find a picture. Cool little reinforced nylon bag with a clasp and a carabiner.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:27 PM
link   
I'm happy with the 6 shot side saddle that mounts on the left side of the receiver. I'll be replacing my fore and aft pistol grips with a telescoping butt stock so my wife can shoot it and round forend... A couple of rails for a laser light and Barska red dot sight will make for a more versatile weapon for eradicating wild hogs and home protection. I have 3 in different sizes so I can pick up the largest to wear over heavy winter wear, the smallest for lightest and the other for in between.... I can easily carry a box of 12 gauge rounds in each lower front pocket. A shoulder holster can be worn in or outside of the vest to carry an appropriate side arm fixed blade knife and (or) pig sticker leaving a number of pockets for beer, beef jerky and Tabasco sauce plus. Carrying rifled slugs and shells with a couple of differing size shot loads will have you equipped for numerous types of targets and situations.

new topics

top topics

join