It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The folding bow....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I ordered one of these folding bows. They're a 55lb draw weight folding long bow. I wish I could give you my own review of it, but mines in the mail right now apparently. I just think they're really cool. Mostly for me it would probably just be an excuse to get out into the woods more. But I like the ability to fold it up and just tuck it into a backpack.

posted on Jun, 14 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   
Looks good how much are they?

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Very easy to use and store I like it

Anyone know where I can get some good arrows?

The ones I usually get don't seem to last very long.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Mine was 170 that included shipping

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

I just went on ebay and bought like 12 cheap arrows, they were about 3.50 each. I don't want to spend 10 bucks an arrow when chances are they'll break anyway. Although I have heard the composit and alluminue arrows do last longer.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

$129
www.goprimalnow.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   
That's a real nice bow. I like how small it becomes when disassembled. It looks real sturdy also.

For all of you that can't afford a 175 folding bow check this guy out I ran across on Youtube awhile back. He makes bows out of PVC using a heat gun. It sounds laughable until you see him do it and see just how strong the bow actually is.

This is one of his versions of a takedown bow although he has one that breaks down even smaller than this one.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Nice kids bow!
A bit pricy for a kid bow though, collapsible or not.
I sure would not want to depend on that thing stopping any big game though.

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Nice kids bow!

In some states only a 35 pound draw weight is required to hunt deer, etc. Check out the video below by Billy Berger from Primitive Pathways, and you'll see that only a 40 pound bow and arrows with tiny stone points will go in one side of a deer and out the other.

I personally would not own that bow in the OP, simply because it's not my style. But, I most certainly would not want to be shot with it, and I definitely would trust it to take down large game. That bow could easily shoot a correctly spined arrow upwards of around 160-170 feet per second, give or take, I would say. With the right broadhead, and the right arrows, it would have no problem effectively killing any large game animal with a good shot to the vitals.

If Howard Hill was able to take down an elephant with his bow, I would say a 55 pound bow could take down a deer, bear, moose, elk, whatever.

A WORD OF CAUTION FOR THE SQUEAMISH: This video does show a deer being shot with an arrow. Although the deer is already dead, blood does drip out of it when it is shot. So if you do not like seeing an animal being shot with an arrow, I do not recommend watching this video:

www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-6-2013 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2013 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
Very easy to use and store I like it

Anyone know where I can get some good arrows?

The ones I usually get don't seem to last very long.

3 Rivers Archery seem to be about the standard for most archers' needs, from what I've seen online. I wouldn't say they're cheap because I'm a tightwad and prefer to make my own arrows for much cheaper, but I guess 3 Rivers is reasonably priced when it comes to pre-made arrows.

www.3riversarchery.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Please let us know how it is once you get it and try it out!

Makes a great BOB weapon, especially for those in nations where guns are harder to come by.

posted on Jun, 17 2013 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

I started making my arrows because of quality issues with pre-made ones. I use aluminum shafts, and had always bought Easton. About a year ago, all of their arrows in my specs (regardless of dealer) had the nock turned 90 degrees out of whack, so that it pointed the same direction as the off-colored feather! I guess someone at the factory didn't get properly trained.

For those that don't know, you can buy a fletching jig for 50 bucks, and then buy your own shafts, feathers, arrows and tips. I prefer specific feather combos and nocks that I can easily see in low light conditions.

Assembling my own arrows is almost exactly half as much as buying them at a store.

posted on Jun, 23 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Ya I was thinking it might be perfect to put in a backpack. Like my thought is up here you can't easily get a gun. And even if you do you can't carry it around at all. If you're caught doing so the penalties are steep. Even carrying a bow around in the forest if you were caught might raise a lot of questions. Where as with this you could have it in your pack. You see a dear and within a day or so you put the bow back in your pack alone with 100 lbs of beef jerky to take home. I kinda have this urge to want to hunt something n have a bbq.

posted on Jun, 24 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I hope you have a better plan (and a buddy) for carrying home a deer after the kill than just that.....

posted on Jun, 26 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Nice kids bow!

A 55 Lb. bow will kill anything in North America if you use the proper broad heads.

Fred Bear used to kill Kodiak bears and Grizzly with a 55 lb. recurve bow way back in the day, crazy I think to go after large dangerous game with such a light weapon but he didn't seem to mind.

Ted Nugent also says that a 55 lb. bow is all you need with the proper broad heads.

I have a 55 lb. recurve that I got from my grandpa when I was 12 or 13 and it has taken around 6-8 whitetail deer.

Some manly men feel they need a 70 lb. bow but their usually the same ones that use a .458 Magnum for white tail deer....

posted on Jun, 27 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I wouldn't want the bow as my only weapon though. For game, you pretty much have to be within about 30-40 yards for a clean shot. For a gun, much further (and little consideration for arc, gravity, wind, etc.)

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I finally got my bow in the mail. It seems like it's got a decent draw weight, since I could barely string it. This might sound odd but what I was thinking is that when hiking I think this is a great thing to have handy for a number of situations. Anything from just having a weapon to being able to hunt with it. It would probably be pretty hard to catch anything but one never knows.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Bear the inventor of the bear brand bow shot a world record Alaskan brown bear (also known as a Kodiak) with a 50 lb. recurve bow . Killed it in one shot.

posted on Jul, 25 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Diisenchanted

It all has to do with where the arrow hits, and as long as it has a broadhead then you could use any cheap recurve and it will still do the same job. It's no different than guns. A bullet can pass right through a person sometimes by luck and the person or animal will heal up and not much harm done. So if you hit a vital organ the beast will be dead in minutes. Like a shot the head, or neck is usually fatal. My thought is I wouldn't mind actually toating this along in a backpack and being able to use it as a means to fix a steak dinner from time to time. That would be sort of a rush, plus just allow you to connect with your reptilian mind, and your primal hunter instincts.
edit on 25-7-2013 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 26 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Well it's more than just that. You must also account for flight speed of the arrow vs effective range..

You have to think.. that arrow must be flying fast enough to penetrate the rib cage of a large animal.

With a nice recurve your maximum effective range is only maybe 20-30 yards.. I would say 20-25 with this makeshift 55 lb bow. (which is the minimum legal draw weight)

Edit for Correction: I notice the bow is only 50 lbs which is not legal to hunt with.. for good reason.

-----------------------------

With that said, I wonder how many of you have actually bow hunted before.

For those that haven't.. It is difficult.. very difficult.

Getting within 25 yards (generally) of a wild animal with a spectacular sense of smell, hearing and decent eyesight is no easy feat. If you people think this is as easy as going into the woods and shooting something... you are sadly mistaken.

I'd much prefer my compound.

Say what you want but arrow speeds of 310 fps with a 60-70 yard max effective range adds a much needed advantage. Not to mention the path of the arrow is a lot tighter with a compound which allows for more room for error.
edit on 26-7-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-7-2013 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join